• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Exactly, that's why no one tries to extrapolate based on one innings. I would say that figures with a large enough sample size are very accurate (depends which figures and how you use them, obviously), with very few exceptions.
:blink:

You've been to this forum before haven't you?

:p

JBH001

International Regular
Top performances by Murali and Mendis. Its nice to see Murali have, what seems to be, some quality support at the other end (especially as Vaas fades).

But lets not get ahead of ourselves. It is still a good pitch, and there are 14 wickets to get.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Top performances by Murali and Mendis. Its nice to see Murali have, what seems to be, some quality support at the other end (especially as Vaas fades).

But lets not get ahead of ourselves. It is still a good pitch, and there are 14 wickets to get.
Its a good pitch when Kumble and Harbhajan bowl, sure :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
no, its a good pitch when harbhajan bowls and Karthick keeps
So you are of the opinion that but for a poor keeper, Harbhajan would have done to Sri Lanka what Murali did to India or am I completely wrong in understanding what you meant

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
In any case, I am just watching Tendulkar's innings again. He played Mendis very well. It will be interesting in the second innings.
on top of my head, I don't remember Tendulkar batting well in 2nd innings to save a match. with VVS there is a little hope of something spectacular.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Not taking anything away from Sri Lanka, they have been superb !.

But the collapse of India's batting is the latest in a long catalogue of failures stretching back to 2005.

IMO guys like Dravid, Sachin, Ganguly, Harbhajan and KUmble are well past their best as players. I think India need to start blooding the likes of Rohit Sharma, Ojha, Mishra etc at test level.
Sure they will probably struggle against Murali and co but they have scope to learn and grow.

These senior players have zero scope for growth and are repeatedly making mistakes now under pressure.

masterblaster

International Captain
Not taking anything away from Sri Lanka, they have been superb !.

But the collapse of India's batting is the latest in a long catalogue of failures stretching back to 2005.

IMO guys like Dravid, Sachin, Ganguly, Harbhajan and KUmble are well past their best as players. I think India need to start blooding the likes of Rohit Sharma, Ojha, Mishra etc at test level.
Sure they will probably struggle against Murali and co but they have scope to learn and grow.

These senior players have zero scope for growth and are repeatedly making mistakes now under pressure.
Rohit Sharma would've been clueless as well against Mendis and Murali. I think anybody is entitled to a bad day at the office, and I don't think the Indian youngsters are anywhere near close to test level yet. Rohit Sharma has hardly played any decent first class cricket to beging with.

I agree with regards to either Ojha or Mishra in place of Harbhajan. but this Indian batting lineup is the best that we have. With regards to Anil Kumble, Kumble has been bowling better these last 2-3 years than he has in a long time and is one of the few cricketers who is getting better with age so I think he deserves his spot in the team.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Rohit Sharma would've been clueless as well against Mendis and Murali. I think anybody is entitled to a bad day at the office, and I don't think the Indian youngsters are anywhere near close to test level yet. Rohit Sharma has hardly played any decent first class cricket to beging with.

I agree with regards to either Ojha or Mishra in place of Harbhajan. but this Indian batting lineup is the best that we have. With regards to Anil Kumble, Kumble has been bowling better these last 2-3 years than he has in a long time and is one of the few cricketers who is getting better with age so I think he deserves his spot in the team.
Oh I'm not saying Sharma wouldn't have struggled but when your older guys are not performing, you might as well start giving your younger guys a go.

I don't think its simply a bad day at the office. India's batting has been consistently failing for 3 years now.

Dissector

International Debutant
Murali is really taking to the Indians. We can now imagine what deadly force Murali had been if there was a bowler like McGrath or Pollock in the team.
AWTA. Team support from your batsmen,fielders and other bowlers is hugely important to any bower and Murali's support has often been average. Here the game was set up beautifully for him and he responds with a 5-for on an absolutely flat track against India. Very impressive. For the most part the wickets didn't come from wicket-taking deliveries but that underlines the point about how the team can create pressure and a great bowler can capitalize.

Last edited:

masterblaster

International Captain
Ishant doing better than I thought he would. He's hanging on and not giving away anything. Great to see this kind of resolve from a tailender.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Once again, Boycott has written off India's chances of saving this match. If tailenders can prove him wrong by scoring centuries, there's no reason why a famed batting lineup like this one can't.

Seeing that run-out attempt from Dilshan, we wonder, why can't an Indian do the same?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Not too long ago, the South Africans were under the hammer at Lord's. Then came that Smith-McKenzie partnership and a huge total that saved the match, denying the English a chance to even bat again. Too much for the famed batting lineup?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Sharma out, and India bat again. The openers (and the rest) should make the best use of these opening overs, and build a 200+ partnership, rather than be tempted to smash the medium-pacers all around.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Na, India are out of this match, they should just be trying to save it IMO. Which is dangerous in itself against the likes of Vaas, Murali and Mendis. :laugh: SL have such a gun full strength attack now, Vaas, Malinga, Murali, Mendis, Maharoof/Fernando/whoever else, only one real weak spot and on its day it can do well.