• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Pakistan Thread

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
tooextracool said:
for me it all comes down to the pitch. if the pitch seams around a bit india will lose(provided the **** bowling line up is fit) and if the pitch is a flat/slow track then india will win.
so if it does not seam it's flat ? what about bowlers ability ?
you did not answer my question when I quoted an expert on what a flat track is. here it is I will copy paste again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooextracool
incase u missed the ind vs australia series let me remind you that the pitches in australia were dead flat!

pitches in australia are dead flat!!!! maybe your definition of flat is different..anyways what do I know about flat track but here is an "expert's opinion" on flat wicket. I quote Miandad

"A flat track is where the ball does not come above waist height," Miandad said.
"There was lot of bounce on all four days and even on the fifth day the wicket-keeper was collecting the ball around his chest. We just didn't apply ourselves like we should have."

http://www.dawn.com/2004/04/03/spt1.htm
http://in.sports.yahoo.com/040403/139/2cda0.html
http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/apr2...4/sports/s3.htm

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Universal truths in cricket

Antigua = Flat track
Australian pitches ¬= Flat track
Certain people ¬= knowing what they are talking about.

Did that help?

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
luckyeddie said:
Universal truths in cricket

Antigua = Flat track
Australian pitches ¬= Flat track
Certain people ¬= knowing what they are talking about.

Did that help?
Ain't that the truth! :D

tooextracool

International Coach
maxpower said:
so if it does not seam it's flat ? what about bowlers ability ?
you did not answer my question when I quoted an expert on what a flat track is. here it is I will copy paste again.
i did not say anything like that....what i said was that if it seams about pak will win but if the pitch is flat then india would win, there are many other types of pitches that can be prepared other than a flat or seaming pitch(bouncy,fast,turner etc)

maxpower said:
pitches in australia are dead flat!!!! maybe your definition of flat is different..anyways what do I know about flat track but here is an "expert's opinion" on flat wicket. I quote Miandad

"A flat track is where the ball does not come above waist height," Miandad said.
"There was lot of bounce on all four days and even on the fifth day the wicket-keeper was collecting the ball around his chest. We just didn't apply ourselves like we should have."

http://www.dawn.com/2004/04/03/spt1.htm
http://in.sports.yahoo.com/040403/139/2cda0.html
http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/apr2...4/sports/s3.htm
so according to "mr expert" javed miandad a pitch on which balls occasionally keep low while others are around waist height, would be flat yes?prepare dusty pitches and see how many runs teams get.
look a flat pitch is one on which the ball comes on nicely to the bat with consistent bounce at a decent pace. pitches in australia were just that and thats why we were seeing scores in excess of 500. pitches in australia used to be fast and pacy like in the perth ODIs where the "awesome" indian batting lineup failed.....twice(and im sure the aussies were regretting not playing a test at perth)

tooextracool

International Coach
Lions81 said:
http://in.sports.yahoo.com/040410/149/2chjd.html

Can someone please translate the conversation between Anil Kumble and Asim Kamal at the bottom of the article? Thanks.
*uses all of his minor knowledge of hindi to translate the sentences*

kumble: this guy's a child,he'll be out in 2 balls
kamal : go back to your crease and bowl the ball(using "aap" which is respectful)

kumble : he wont survive the new ball
kamal : says the same thing as he said earlier

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
tooextracool said:
*uses all of his minor knowledge of hindi to translate the sentences*

kumble: this guy's a child,he'll be out in 2 balls
kamal : go back to your crease and bowl the ball(using "aap" which is respectful)

kumble : he wont survive the new ball
kamal : says the same thing as he said earlier
Thank you! That's funny stuff. Too bad Kumble was made to look like a fool!

Tony Blade

U19 Cricketer
Ganguly:
On some of the Pakistani bowlers being unknown quantities:
We played Naved [ul-Hasan] in Karachi. And anyway, I believe it's the ball that matters, not who bowls it. You saw how Umar Gul did when he came into the side
Does he actually believe that.

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
tooextracool said:
there are many other types of pitches that can be prepared other than a flat or seaming pitch(bouncy,fast,turner etc)

so according to "mr expert" javed miandad a pitch on which balls occasionally keep low while others are around waist height, would be flat yes?prepare dusty pitches and see how many runs teams get.
are you saying dusty pitches dont fall in the flat category ? because that's what I thought they were all over subcontinent region and they were called flat and that's where sachin thrives as you say. also was multan track flat or not ? miandad says it was not, damn you miandad don't you know by now there are many types of pitches not just flat, and not flat.

Last edited:

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
The problem I have with tooextracool's categorization of the pitches is that he seems to decide what kind of pitch it is based on how the Indians do. If they score 705 runs, it's a flat pitch. If they get bundled out for 287, the pitch seams about. Make a decision beforehand I say. But of course the natural response is how do you know how a pitch will play before you play on it?! So I guess there's no way for me to prove my theory about tooextracool's pitch analysis, but it's just a thought...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
maxpower said:
are you saying dusty pitches dont fall in the flat category ? because that's what I thought they were all over subcontinent region and they were called flat and that's where sachin thrives as you say. also was multan track flat or not ? miandad says it was not, damn you miandad don't you know by now there are many types of pitches not just flat, and not flat.
Miandad is only a veteran of some 100 odd test matches, a majority of them played in the sub-continent. What would he know about flat pitches? Ridiculous for the man to even venture his opinion....
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sehwag309

Banned
Ganguly Wins the toss this time, chooses to BOWL 1st

1st Time India will bowl 1st, lets see how the Indian pacers use this pitch

P.S, Inzi mentions Gul is so injured, he can't even walk

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
I'd say it's 50-50 still because even though India's bowling first, Pakistan still have actual pace in the form of Akhtar and Sami, whereas India is bowling with medium-fast bowlers. If Pakistan had won the toss and bowled first or if Ganguly had batted first, then it would be 75-25 Pakistan.