• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Pakistan Thread

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
maxpower said:
great day for pak, i wonder what their strategy will be tommorrow. I would atleast give my bowlers 100 overs to get IND out. But for sure result it IND loss or a draw.
Quite simple - bat, bat, bat as long as they can.
If they are still there at the end of day 3, then on into day 4. The bigger the lead the better. If it's 200, fine. If it's 400, even better. Either way, don't expect any form of declaration tomorrow whatever the score.

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
luckyeddie said:
Quite simple - bat, bat, bat as long as they can.
If they are still there at the end of day 3, then on into day 4. The bigger the lead the better. If it's 200, fine. If it's 400, even better. Either way, don't expect any form of declaration tomorrow whatever the score.
for some reason i thought 3rd day was already over. does any stat guru's on this forum know when was the last time any of the current IND players played a big knock in 2nd innings to save a match ?

biased indian

International Coach
maxpower said:
for some reason i thought 3rd day was already over. does any stat guru's on this forum know when was the last time any of the current IND players played a big knock in 2nd innings to save a match ?
i can clearly remember laxman scoring 281 and dravid scoring 180 aganist a poor australian side

godofcricket

State 12th Man
I have been watching the second day of the test match throughout and i do agree that a couple of decisions went in favor of youhana but i dont remember one occasion where any genuine decision went inzimams way. If there was may be some one can point out but its not fair to make such statments about one of the best innings by one of the best batsman.

NikhilN

International Regular
maxpower said:

you know 2001... laxmans 281...India coming back from the follow on given by AUS....Harbhajans hat trick...you know...really big game...

I've notice some people commenting on other members on this forum (Hell and MB) rather than on cricket itself.Well they can carry on with their insults , i have nothing to say to them.

I had predicted India posting 300+ in the first innings, i must say that i was taken in surprise by Umar Gul, who was the only bowler in Pak team that has gained respect from Indians.I had not seen Gul before this match and had thought that he would be like other Pak bowlers (i.e Shoaaib,Sami and Shabbir), but this guy is different, he's more in line with Indian pacers than Pakistani pacers.Unlike Other Pak pacer he trelies more on line and length rather than on reckless speed, as such he got reward in the first inning.

The wkt has definately eased now and batting is now much easier, i think India will bat much better in the second innings.However India should first bowl out Pak to a score of not more than 400-425, otherwsie India can be in trouble.

I think India can still save this test match, they have seen Umar gul in first inning and will play him better in second innings.Sami and Shoaib continue to play crappy cricket, Danish is a mediocre leggie but is an honest trier.

I was unimpressed by youhanna's innings, but must say that Inzi is definately a world class batsman.If India can get Inzi out early tomorrow morning, then they can bowl out Pak quickly (as Pak have no Moin and Razzak and hence has a long tail with some inexperiance batsmen)

Sehwag309

Banned
This is actually an interesting position now, how much will Inzi find enough?

They are leading by 68, 100 would be 1st agenda which they will get it easily.

200 odd or more with all/out or declaration. Inzi would be thinking sehwag for sure, he might score quick and then India can rebuild.
I can think of India's Calcutta match / Aus, and Lanka's Huge 900+ / Ind. So we need something like that.
OR
Some Miracolous bowling from India to keep the lead to 100-150

Are any previous matches with similar situations in Lahore?

Sehwag309

Banned
maxpower said:
great day for pak, i wonder what their strategy will be tommorrow. I would atleast give my bowlers 100 overs to get IND out. But for sure result it IND loss or a draw.
Unless another Earthquake which rips the pitch apart

Swervy

International Captain
I would say that Inzy would be looking to bat until maybe the last hour of the day...if pakistan do that, they should have a lead of 300. Stick India in with an hour to go....even if India did ensure it wasnt an innings defeat you would think that would take until maybe an hour before the end of the 4th day...For India to save this match I would think that they need to bat until half way through the middle session of the 5th day ..or even maybe tea on the 5th (obviously depending on run rate etc)...then you might even see Pakistan chasing 200 odd in say 35 overs to try and win the game.

Obviously if Pakistan get all out for next to nothing, all of the above will be rubbish:D

wahindiawah

Banned
I didn't see anything special in Gul's bowling (i'm not trying to belittle the performance of a promissing newcommer here).Gul did bowl well within himself, the differnce between Gul and others were that Gul was disciplined, while others were erratic.

I think Indian batsmen didn't bat well in Lahore test, Gul was unplayable, Indian batsmen just didn't apply themselves.

India can still save this test match, Pakistan is clearly a bowler short (in the absence of Razzak) and all they have is Umar Gul (who might still be unfit) so India batsmen should play Gul with Caution.Sami and Akhter will encourage Indian team to pile up big total in the second innings, and these two would again go for runs.However India should bowl out Pak to a not so big score.A lead of 100-150 would not be that bad, but anything above it can become a real headace

Swervy

International Captain
wahindiawah said:
I didn't see anything special in Gul's bowling (i'm not trying to belittle the performance of a promissing newcommer here).Gul did bowl well within himself, the differnce between Gul and others were that Gul was disciplined, while others were erratic.

I think Indian batsmen didn't bat well in Lahore test, Gul was unplayable, Indian batsmen just didn't apply themselves.

India can still save this test match, Pakistan is clearly a bowler short (in the absence of Razzak) and all they have is Umar Gul (who might still be unfit) so India batsmen should play Gul with Caution.Sami and Akhter will encourage Indian team to pile up big total in the second innings, and these two would again go for runs.However India should bowl out Pak to a not so big score.A lead of 100-150 would not be that bad, but anything above it can become a real headace

mmmm...well I admire your optimism....BUT..

Pakistan are 68 runs ahead with 7 wickets to go at the end of day 2...I think India are looking at being at least 200 down on the first innings (I think Pakistan would actually be looking for a 300 run lead here)....

what does it look like ...looking down the barrel of a gun whilst wearing rose tinted spectacles:D

Sehwag309

Banned
Swervy said:
I would say that Inzy would be looking to bat until maybe the last hour of the day...if pakistan do that, they should have a lead of 300. Stick India in with an hour to go....even if India did ensure it wasnt an innings defeat you would think that would take until maybe an hour before the end of the 4th day...For India to save this match I would think that they need to bat until half way through the middle session of the 5th day ..or even maybe tea on the 5th (obviously depending on run rate etc)...then you might even see Pakistan chasing 200 odd in say 35 overs to try and win the game.

Obviously if Pakistan get all out for next to nothing, all of the above will be rubbish:D
200 in 35 overs!!, @ R.R 5.71 (It's not one-day)

Not likely, Inzi & Co, would play for a draw

Swervy

International Captain
Sehwag309 said:
200 in 35 overs!!, @ R.R 5.71 (It's not one-day)

Not likely, Inzi & Co, would play for a draw

it depends on what Inzys attitude to winning the series is...if he wants to win the series, in that situation, Pakistan would go for it, especially if India have scored big in their second innings. (Of course it depends on how the pitch is playing etc)

Sehwag309

Banned
Indians upset with umpires

Faisal Shariff in Lahore | April 06, 2004 22:27 IST

"Mediocrity has become the norm in umpiring," declared a member of the Indian team. His reaction came after wicket-keeper Parthiv Patel was reported to match referee Ranjan Madugalle by umpires Steve Bucknor and Simon Taufel at the end of Day 2 in the second Test between India and Pakistan at Lahore.

The Indian camp is apparently upset about the numerous appeals that were turned down by the two umpires.

"How can you report a fielder for appealing and then showing his disappointment at a decision that is clearly wrong. The nick was so loud, even cover and mid-on heard it," said a member of the Indian team.

The umpires were miffed with Patel's vociferous appeal for a caught behind decision against Yousuf Youhana off Anil Kumble's bowling. When Taufel turned down the appeal, Patel made no secret of his displeasure.

"Youhana nicked the hell out of that. Even he knew that he had nicked it big time," explained the player.

The players feel West Indian umpire Bucknor is against them because of the negative comments Sourav Ganguly is said to have made in his captain's report after the Sydney Test in January this year.

"This is clearly a bullying tactic to attack a player at the slightest inclination," said another senior member of the team, adding credit must be given to English umpire David Shepherd "for giving some good decisions" in the last Test in Multan.

"Bucknor has been doing this for a long time and then hiding behind the ICC [International Cricket Council]. Take a look at the number of decisions that went against Anil Kumble; it's simply amazing!

"Simon Taufel is having a bad Test. If the Tendulkar dismissal yesterday was disappointing, he [Taufel] was shocking all day today," the player added.

In Australia, during the VB Series, the Indian team management had lodged a protest against Bucknor for his "unbecoming conduct" during the day-night game against Australia in Sydney.

Bucknor had rolled his fingers over the ball when Dravid arrived in to bat, in an obvious reference to an incident from the previous game when the Indian vice-captain was fined 50 per cent of his match fees for getting a little of a boiled sweet on the ball in contravention of the rules.

The insinuation was blatant, but ICC Match Referee Clive Lloyd did not do much about the report except file it away.

"Look at the Sydney Test, he turned down appeals against Justin Langer and Damien Martyn on the last day. Those were plumb leg-before decisions," said the team member.

Taufel had admitted earlier during the series about the noise levels in Pakistan stadiums. He told the Sydney Morning Herald, "That makes umpiring bloody difficult, especially when it comes to caught-behinds and communicating with other officials. It's nothing you could ever train for. It's very hard when you have one of your senses, hearing, taken away from you."

A Pakistani journalist revealed that the Pakistan team management did not lodge any complaint against Taufel despite many decisions going against them in the Multan Test.

To which an Indian player shot back: "Doesn't it seem like a bit of smart gamesmanship to float a rumour like that?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wright sore over umpiring

April 06, 2004 19:11 IST

India coach John Wright is normally a cool customer. But his patience was severely tested following a spate of bad umpiring decisions against India on day 2 of the second Test against Pakistan in Lahore.

It forced the New Zealander to storm into the match referee's room for an audience with Ranjan Madugalle.

There were at least two clear leg-before decisions and one caught behind chance that the umpires adjudged incorrectly. They came at crucial junctures even as Pakistan batsmen Yousuf Youhana and Inzamam-ul Haq put together an unfinished 150-run partnership.

The Indian team management cannot appeal before the Test is over but Wright is believed to have had a chat with Madugalle expressing his displeasure.

Sources said Wright went through replays of the dubious decisions along with Madugalle and then stomped out fuming.

Thanks to the umpires' largesse, Pakistan could finish the day on 355 for the loss of only three wickets.

Last edited:

Sehwag309

Banned
"Taufel had admitted earlier during the series about the noise levels in Pakistan stadiums. He told the Sydney Morning Herald, "That makes umpiring bloody difficult, especially when it comes to caught-behinds and communicating with other officials. It's nothing you could ever train for. It's very hard when you have one of your senses, hearing, taken away from you"

And this is what happened with youhana. Dean Jones, Rameez Raja said "Simon, man you missed it, it was clear nick".

If he wasn't sure how did he give Tendulkar LBW, and even Inzi in out in the 1st test.

Swervy

International Captain
Sehwag309 said:
"Taufel had admitted earlier during the series about the noise levels in Pakistan stadiums. He told the Sydney Morning Herald, "That makes umpiring bloody difficult, especially when it comes to caught-behinds and communicating with other officials. It's nothing you could ever train for. It's very hard when you have one of your senses, hearing, taken away from you"

And this is what happened with youhana. Dean Jones, Rameez Raja said "Simon, man you missed it, it was clear nick".

If he wasn't sure how did he give Tendulkar LBW, and even Inzi in out in the 1st test.
coz you dont really rely on your hearing for an LBW

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
dude just post the link not the whole article if you can...
About the article and umpiring, I would say you have to play through good and bad umpiring period.

Only part in article which is not right is
"Bucknor had rolled his fingers over the ball when Dravid arrived in to bat, in an obvious reference to an incident from the previous game when the Indian vice-captain was fined 50 per cent of his match fees for getting a little of a boiled sweet on the ball in contravention of the rules."

If bucknor did actually do that, then its not very professional and he probably is on a little power trip...

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
What are the indians crying about.Does anyone remeber when inzy got out in the one day to tendulkar to a lbw.That was missing by a mile and none of the pakistanis complain.the were many decisions that were not given to pakistan in the one day and test series and when it happens to india they complain and blame the umpires.That little midget parthiv and the rest of the indians were appealing for no reasons sometimes.when balaji bowled to inzy it flew past the outside edge and parthiv was jumping in the air like it was out.At least he got reported for that and he also done that in the Australian series.