• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Pakistan Thread

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
It's called 'playing to your strengths'.

If he had put Pakistan in and they were now 300-3, you would be saying 'What on earth prompted Dravid to bowl first? Bring back Ganguly'
Ah, prophetic words from the duckmeister.

In all seriousness, the Indian attack looked somewhat ragged, in particular in the run-up to tea. Now the new ball has been taken, things could happen very quickly (yes, I know that's a no-brainer).

Farhat's ton was well-deserved, but in the end he was fortunate to limp over the finishing-line.

Inzy has looked so solid (chuckle). When he bats in circumspect mode, he looks like he will never get out (quick single in 5....4....3....).

On the bowling front, Pathan (Khan)'s seam position is very good indeed and he is extracting considerable swing with his one over with the new ball. The next hour could be interesting.

Advantage Pakistan.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sehwag309 said:
Steve Bucknor, man doesn't give much LBW to India

Irfan had Inzi and Youhana
Disagree.

Extremely marginal as to whether either batsman was struck outside the line.

Good bowling, though.

Sehwag309

Banned
luckyeddie said:
Disagree.

Extremely marginal as to whether either batsman was struck outside the line.

Good bowling, though.
Cricinfo

86.5 Pathan to Yousuf Youhana, no run, another super delivery, swung
back in sharply after pitching in-line with the off stump, hits
the pad in-line, once again the appeal is turned down
Tv replays shows that it was plumb, Pathan unlucky - Youhana lucky

Abt Steve Bucknor

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2004/mar/04ashu.htm

http://www.thatscricket.com/2003/test_series/ind-aus/0801ganguly1.html

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/433273.cms

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Either of them could very easily have been given out

Yousuf Youhana was very much on the move, and yes, Hawkeye did seem to indicate that he was struck in line of the off stump.

Last edited:

V Reddy

International Debutant
Ganguly should return to the team. IMO captaincy seems to affect Dravid. He has dropped quite a few catches in this series than i have ever seen him do. I hope Ganguly takes a bold decision and opens the batting himself

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Either of them could very easily have been given out

Yousuf Youhana was very much on the move, and yes, Hawkeye did seem to indicate that he was struck in line of the off stump.
why cant u just admit that it was a poor decision and should have been given out??:rolleyes:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sehwag309 said:
Well, you are really scraping the barrel with those 'articles'.

Do you honestly think that Steve Bucknor has it in for India?
A few months abo, there were people on these boards bleating that Shepherd ought to retire because he had given Tendulkar out. How many umpires do you think there would be left on the international list if everyone who people thought had made a bad decision affecting their favourites got the boot?
There were a few desperately close ones turned down yesterday too.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
luckyeddie said:
Do you honestly think that Steve Bucknor has it in for India?
Bucknor has made a few harsh calls vs India but it cant be termed as Bucknor having it against India.

My problem with him is he is hardly as good as he used to be. He was one of the best umpires for a long time along with Shephard n Venkat. Now he is below standard and as players become out of sorts so can umpires.

I just cuoldnt imagine I would see Bucknor being as inconsistent as he has been over the last 2-3 months..

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
why cant u just admit that it was a poor decision and should have been given out??:rolleyes:
Even the post of mine which you quoted states that it could have gone either way.

I am watching the game, I saw the action replay five times and my first impression was that it 'might' have been outside off stump. My second impression was that there 'might' have been a bit of wood involved, especially allowing for the speed the ball ricocheted away. My others were that, on the balance of probabilities, he hadn't hit it and that the ball would in all likelihood hit the stumps.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
the difference being that the ones today were plumb
No. The difference is that today's ones were by Indian bowlers on Pakistani batsmen - and you WANT them to be given out. I am an impartial observer, watching a good game of cricket. I don't care who wins.

The Inzy one could not by any stretch of the imagination be considered plumb - he might well have been outside the line of off stump.

They are going through them now in the studio - and the consensus is that, maybe, one out of the four was out - the Youhana one - but there might well have been an inside edge.

Who said that? Sunil Gavaskar.

I will accept your apologies now.

V Reddy

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
No. The difference is that today's ones were by Indian bowlers on Pakistani batsmen - and you WANT them to be given out. I am an impartial observer, watching a good game of cricket. I don't care who wins.

The Inzy one could not by any stretch of the imagination be considered plumb - he might well have been outside the line of off stump.

They are going through them now in the studio - and the consensus is that, maybe, one out of the four was out - the Youhana one - but there might well have been an inside edge.

Is TEC an Indian? I thought he was an englishmen living in bangalore as i remember him referring to England as "our" in a discussion and most of his comments on this forum are on England

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:

on the contrary....im not a supporter of either of these teams but from a cricketing point of view i want pakistan to win so that the series goes down the last test. that being said the youhanna one was absolutely plumb along with a few decisions that bucknor gave against india in australia. unlike others i do not support poor decisions on the basis of whether i prefer the team or not

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
If you ask me, the best umpire these days is Simon Taufel, since he backs his decisions, is not afraid to give someone out leg-befor or caught-behind, doubtful as they may seem, and rarely uses the third umpire.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
on the contrary....im not a supporter of either of these teams but from a cricketing point of view i want pakistan to win so that the series goes down the last test. that being said the youhanna one was absolutely plumb along with a few decisions that bucknor gave against india in australia. unlike others i do not support poor decisions on the basis of whether i prefer the team or not
OK.

However, Sunil Gavaskar disagrees with you on the Youhana one - he thinks it might have been an inside edge.

What's your take on the (ridiculous) appeal for caught behind off Inzy a few minutes ago?