• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Shri

Mr. Glass
SO is there any realistic chance of India batting 2 days out to draw this game? Has the pitch flattened out and become easy enough to bat on? Missed today's play because of college.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
SO is there any realistic chance of India batting 2 days out to draw this game? Has the pitch flattened out and become easy enough to bat on? Missed today's play because of college.
Reckon you'll have to bat at least 2 and a bit days so no.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I like the home advantage Indian conditions offer. Maybe in domestic cricket a few more would be fine.
Most young Indian players would get the chance to go on a few tours, with U/19 squads or A-teams, anyway. I guess to where is the issue.

I know that over the past 5 to 8 years, through the Aus academy and also state squads, most young players in Australia have wound up over in the subcontinent a handful of times, which obviously prepares them a lot better than what previous generations have had.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
County cricket conflicts with IPL; so that's definitely never going to happen again. Shield season is largely the same time as the Ranji season; it'd be interesting to see if we could arrange some sort of emerging player trading, even for just part of the season.
There is an increasing trend in county cricket for short term contracts, so it can be done. Ojha had a little stint in England towards the end of their summer this past season.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
'Pressure made me work harder' - Ponting : Pressure made me work harder - Ponting

Not a bad read. Was interesting watching him practice the day before the match. I was telling Burgeinho to watch the footwork of the players and Ponting spent the better part of an hour with langer having throw downs and hardly moving his feet at all. Like he was trying not to lunge and fall over.

Made it awkward when the young bloke kept saying "Ricky doesn't move his feet much, dad".
Ponting's feet tend to go to a couple of very similar spots, and they get their quickly. It's almost what Test cricketers have to do now, when you're facing guys bowling at that pace that regularly. Has to be utterly instinctive, and making sure that you're in a comfortable and balanced position to play the ball. Gilchrist was very similar, and I guess you could say that Sehwag has taken it to the extreme.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Then again, Duncan Fletcher didn't like his players playing county cricket when he was coach of England, let alone India... :ph34r:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well what can be said about the days play? well done to Australia for finally coming good with the bat even though it's still the experienced heads that are getting the runs and not the new blood but my word India were disgraceful, just lost all heart out there and let themselves get beaten into the ground, if i was an India fan i'd be extremely concerned about the current plight of my team right now,

A lot was made about Ashwin and Yadav joining the bowling unit but they've been taken to the cleaners in this match, if Ashwin doesn't have a minefield to bowl on he's totally lost imo, they say he has "tricks" but unfortunately all the batsmen seem to see them coming, Yadav has had it easy in Test cricket thus far but it was evident in the last few ODIs that he played (i won't mention against who) that if the track doesn't have any demons in it he can be taken apart, i don't think it's a coincidence that once again it's Khan leading the way, and boy do they need him again when play resumes, if he doesn't fire this score could be anything,

And he's another one that India are gonna have to replace soon, Fletcher must be wondering what on earth he's walked into!! :laugh: .

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
Ironic that the kiwis would have provided much more of a challenge than this dispirited group. At least the NZ bowlers look like they might bowl a side out. The pitch certainly has become a belter after the first session yesterday but they surely would have offered more than this demoralised group and the part-timers going through the motions.
Should have given NZ three tests and played three against India. Would have been awesome to have a decider after Hobart.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Is Ashwin being groomed to a leadership role for the future? Being sent to a hell of a lot of press conferences atm. WAG.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
India have one above average fielder in this side - Kohli. Rest range from below average to horrible.

They are just too old IMO. They tire too easily in the field and don't have the will or physicality to fight back later in the day. Pattinson and Siddle are guys who charge in no matter what. India just doesn't have the guts, and it makes for very ugly viewing sometimes.

Sad, but some of these guys really need to go. Gambhir and Laxman are obvious. Sachin and Dravid are sacred cows, but as much as I like Sachin he needs to call it a day once he gets this stupid milestone, because he's never going to be dropped. I just think India need to start afresh in test cricket as soon as possible. They need a younger team, and they need positive energy out there. And I mantain that Dhoni is a terrible test captain. Always has been. His attitude in the field seems to rub off on other guys, which is the worst part.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Indeed.

You score 700 runs and you still lose by an innings. 8-) The Indians love their flat batting tracks, that's for sure.
Well there was this dude who scored 293 at more than run a ball. That might have had something to do with the outcome. :p

Furball

Evil Scotsman
County cricket conflicts with IPL; so that's definitely never going to happen again. Shield season is largely the same time as the Ranji season; it'd be interesting to see if we could arrange some sort of emerging player trading, even for just part of the season.
No it doesn't.

The early season stuff clashes, but let's say for argument's sake Marsh gets a contract at Lancashire - once the IPL is done he can fly to England and he'll play plenty of T20, but should also get between 6 and 8 First Class games at the end of the season.

chicane

State Captain
Well there was this dude who scored 293 at more than run a ball. That might have had something to do with the outcome. :p
It wasn't a road either, even if it looks like it as Dhoni tonned up, but that was after Sehwag had flattened the bowlers, not the pitch. India took 20 wickets in about 2 days worth of play.

250-300 may be a par innings score in the SC but that doesn't mean they're all roads.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
India have one above average fielder in this side - Kohli. Rest range from below average to horrible.

They are just too old IMO. They tire too easily in the field and don't have the will or physicality to fight back later in the day. Pattinson and Siddle are guys who charge in no matter what. India just doesn't have the guts, and it makes for very ugly viewing sometimes.

Sad, but some of these guys really need to go. Gambhir and Laxman are obvious. Sachin and Dravid are sacred cows, but as much as I like Sachin he needs to call it a day once he gets this stupid milestone, because he's never going to be dropped. I just think India need to start afresh in test cricket as soon as possible. They need a younger team, and they need positive energy out there. And I mantain that Dhoni is a terrible test captain. Always has been. His attitude in the field seems to rub off on other guys, which is the worst part.
This!!!!

One hardly sees quick singles in India innings and when we are fielding, we are that slow that opposition are easily able to run singles.

adub

International Captain
Waugh's last baller was the best theatre if course.
Gilly's ton completed the next day was a far superior knock. Best I've seen live. The field was spread, but he kept on finding a way to find the fence. Very different kind of situation though of course.

Pup's is very Lara-esque in the way it doesn't matter where you put the ball he's got a shot for it and usually it will be through the field along the carpet and into the boundary. Very definitely in the God zone. Hope he still has some magic left for today.