• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Briony

International Debutant
Hussey is good at many situations and coming in with a big score on the board is one of them. Looks very positive from the get go, no cheap wickets for the opposition..

The attack was alread out on its feet, flat with no morale. You would have backed even Haddin to make runs in this situation. Think this was one of Hussey's easiest tasks of late.

Days of Grace

International Captain
**** it, Captain Clarke should go for the record, although I would be sad to see Brian Charles Lara lose it.

Two days is ample time to get rid of a shattered Indian lineup.

All that time in the field might break Zaheer as well (he is arguably already broken in spirit since Sehwag and Kohli were bowling way too many overs).

India has become so, so DIRE at test cricket away from home. God only knows what will happen to them once the big three retire, since they are the only ones who look like they give a damn about test cricket in this bunch at the moment.

Spoiled brats like Kohli could honestly give a **** about scoring a test century. They want the quick 50s and the DLF MAXIMUMS and the motorbikes, baby!

Finally, Dhoni is about the most defensive, and therefore worst test captain I have ever seen. Stephen Fleming had arguably an even more threadbare attack yet still managed to give good teams a contest with his innovative field settings. Watched the final overs last night and Australia were 90/3 and yet they were strolling singles to the outfield against Sehwag when India were still well in the game.

Seriously, **** off India, you deserve to go down 4-0.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My mistake. He was sublime in the two series before that which was my point.
Hmm and rubbish before that for ****ing ages. I didn't want him dropped at all (unless we were allowed to replace him with someone like Katich) but his performances in the medium term hadn't been good enough. Two good series followed by two poor series is really only an even return at best, which takes us back to where he was before the Ashes, and well...

Frankly I think a lot of people on this forum confuse "performances haven't been good enough in the short to medium term past" with "performances are unlikely to be good enough in the short to medium term future" when players have long histories of excellence and then go through semi-extended rough patches so if you want to argue that Hussey had enough credit in the bank to still likely be one of Australia's six bats despite a poor run well that's fine by me. However, I don't think his actual level of performance of late has been good enough tbh which meant he was rightly under a bit of scrutiny.

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
**** it, Captain Clarke should go for the record, although I would be sad to see Brian Charles Lara lose it.

All that time in the field might break Zaheer as well (he is arguably already broken in spirit since Sehwag and Kohli were bowling way too many overs).

India has become so, so DIRE at test cricket away from home. God only knows what will happen to them once the big three retire, since they are the only ones who look like they give a damn about test cricket in this bunch at the moment.

Spoiled brats like Kohli could honestly give a **** about scoring a test century. They want the quick 50s and the DLF MAXIMUMS and the motorbikes, baby!

Finally, Dhoni is about the most defensive, and therefore worst test captain I have ever

seen. Stephen Fleming had arguably an even more threadbare attack yet still managed to give good teams a contest with his innovative field settings. Watched the final overs last night and Australia were 90/3 and yet they were strolling singles to the outfield against Sehwag when India were still well in the game.

Agree, Dhoni did nothing to conjure a wicket today. He was defensive, clueless, bereft. All Clarke, Punter and Hussey's Christmases came at once.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
God only knows what will happen to them once the big three retire, since they are the only ones who look like they give a damn about test cricket in this bunch at the moment.
Haha jesus, I wonder how bad Laxman is when he doesn't give a damn.

Briony

International Debutant
Ironic that the kiwis would have provided much more of a challenge than this dispirited group. At least the NZ bowlers look like they might bowl a side out. The pitch certainly has become a belter after the first session yesterday but they surely would have offered more than this demoralised group and the part-timers going through the motions.

Zinzan

Finally, Dhoni is about the most defensive, and therefore worst test captain I have ever seen. Stephen Fleming had arguably an even more threadbare attack yet still managed to give good teams a contest with his innovative field settings. Watched the final overs last night and Australia were 90/3 and yet they were strolling singles to the outfield against Sehwag when India were still well in the game.

Tell us what you really think DOG :cool:

Burgey

Agree, Dhoni did nothing to conjure a wicket today. He was defensive, clueless, bereft. All Clarke, Punter and Hussey's Christmases came at once.
Zaheer set the tone with a fairly lacklustre opening spell tbh.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
God only knows what will happen to them once the big three retire, since they are the only ones who look like they give a damn about test cricket in this bunch at the moment.
I feel I can safely bet that it won't be worse than 0-8 that we're well on our way to getting in the last two overseas tours. :laugh:

I'm not really that depressed about future batting prospects. It won't be as bad as the 90s, which is not saying much, but right now the seniors are effectively retired anyway.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Zaheer set the tone with a fairly lacklustre opening spell tbh.
Yeah he was awful. To be fair though, after knocking over Australia's top three for 37 he was probably within his rights to expect his support bowlers to give him someone else to bowl to before 325...

Zinzan

Ironic that the kiwis would have provided much more of a challenge than this dispirited group. At least the NZ bowlers look like they might bowl a side out. The pitch certainly has become a belter after the first session yesterday but they surely would have offered more than this demoralised group and the part-timers going through the motions.
Lol @ the arrogant tone of this. In case you've forgotten, NZ actually drew the Test series 1-1 & did more than simply "looking like they might bowl a side out' :p

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
TO get back into this series ( I suspect this game is close to gone barring sensational batting by the Indians) Dhoni must shut down the quick single. It is stopping the bowler from getting a decent crack at a batter.

Ponting in particular seemed to live of the short single. Clarke was less dependent on it often blasting the ball into the outfield.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Frankly I think a lot of people on this forum confuse "performances haven't been good enough in the short to medium term past" with "performances are unlikely to be good enough in the short to medium term future" when players have long histories of excellence and then go through semi-extended rough patches so if you want to argue that Hussey had enough credit in the bank to still likely be one of Australia's six bats despite a poor run well that's fine by me. However, I don't think his actual level of performance of late has been good enough tbh which meant he was rightly under a bit of scrutiny.
Depends how you would classify "of late". I would classfy of late as the last year, and Hussey has been pretty good during that period, particularly when compared with his team mates. Godly in the Ashes and SL, crap against SA and NZ (though as Ed rightly pointed out 3 of those were very short series).

I think that when you're talking about a player of Hussey's quality looking further back than one year isn't that relevant anyway. He's a very good player, he's had a very good year so his ability is still there, there's every chance that those few bad tests were exceptions and he'll be back scoring runs. People lumping him with Ponting (ATG player who had been well below average for 3+ years) as someone who should face the axe asap was pretty reactionary in my view, particularly when there was no one barging the door down for a middle order spot.

Burgey

Yeah he was awful. To be fair though, after knocking over Australia's top three for 37 he was probably within his rights to expect his support bowlers to give him someone else to bowl to before 325...
Yeah it's a fair point. I thought Yadav was marginally underused, and tbf Dhoni set a 7-2 field for him at one stage which is hard yards for a young quick to bowl well to. Sharma as always bowled two feet too short, and Ashwin offered little on a very unresponsive pitch.

If India is kept in the field for up to two sessions tomorrow, I wonder how Zaheer will be tbh, though it's meant to be a lot cooler

Surprised Tendulkar didn't bowl some leggies tbh.