• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I actually thought Clarke looked really pretty early in his innings while I was at the ground yesterday and was pretty lucky to still be there. Sublime today though, obvs.
I think of the scg knocks I've seen live, this would be in the top three and maybe second right now to Lara's.

Chappell made a big ton v WI in 75-76 but I can't remember much of it at all save the ovation. Mark Waugh's in 99 v the Poms on day one was beautiful, Laxman's 160 odd was great but the game was up. Tendulkar's double was massive but one for the purists as, by his own admission he ground them out. Waugh's last baller was the best theatre if course.

Really between Lara and this one of those I've seen I think. Lara had a better attack to face but he had the benefit of two spinners bowling with a wet ball at times. Australia had posted a big score in that match though, so there was a different kind if scoreboard pressure involved.

If he hadn't slipped over he may never have gotten out.

Briony

International Debutant
I think of the scg knocks I've seen live, this would be in the top three and maybe second right now to Lara's.

Chappell made a big ton v WI in 75-76 but I can't remember much of it at all save the ovation. Mark Waugh's in 99 v the Poms on day one was beautiful, Laxman's 160 odd was great but the game was up. Tendulkar's double was massive but one for the purists as, by his own admission he ground them out. Waugh's last baller was the best theatre if course.

Really between Lara and this one of those I've seen I think. Lara had a better attack to face but he had the benefit of two spinners bowling with a wet ball at times. Australia had posted a big score in that match though, so there was a different kind if scoreboard pressure involved.

If he hadn't slipped over he may never have gotten out.
Chappell's was against Roberts and Holding which certainly counts for more than this smorgasbord attack.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Also eleven fielders on the Indian Test team is like facing a team with only six players on the field. So gotta take that into account.

Burgey

Just somewhere that pace bowlers can go and regain their mojo. I reckon if Yadav and Sharma played domestic cricket elsewhere they would develop and be better bowlers. As for the wheel of mediocrity as TS Elliot put it:

'It would be foolish to think we can turn the wheel on which we turn.'
Whenever the roster allows it, they need to do stints in English County cricket or Shield stuff here. Be good if our batsmen could do time in the Ranji Trophy too, but none of those things will happen

Burgey

Chappell's was against Roberts and Holding which certainly counts for more than this smorgasbord attack.
True, but they weren't yet what they became later.

Chappell made over 700 in that series iirc. He was colossal.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Whenever the roster allows it, they need to do stints in English County cricket or Shield stuff here. Be good if our batsmen could do time in the Ranji Trophy too, but none of those things will happen
Wasn't there a thing a couple years back where England A played in the Duleep Trophy or something? I reckon that type of cross training would be good. The 'A' team from the top countries function as a FC side and have a proper tour.

The competition with a foreign team was canceled in 2008.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
County cricket conflicts with IPL; so that's definitely never going to happen again. Shield season is largely the same time as the Ranji season; it'd be interesting to see if we could arrange some sort of emerging player trading, even for just part of the season.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wasn't there a thing a couple years back where England A played in the Duleep Trophy or something? I reckon that type of cross training would be good. The 'A' team from the top countries function as a FC side and have a proper tour.

The competition with a foreign team was canceled in 2008.
Yeah England are pretty keen on that in general; they send the Lions away on tour regularly and try to get them actually competing as a proper team in tournaments wherever possible. Did it in the West Indies main comp last winter.

Spark

Global Moderator
The partnership is the second-highest for the fourth wicket by any team when they've been three down for 50 or less. The only higher partnership was achieved in 1934, when Bradman and Bill Ponsford added 388 for the fourth wicket after Australia had been reduced to 39 for 3. This partnership equals the stand between Nasser Hussain and Graham Thorpe against Australia at Edgbaston in 1997, when they added 288 after being 50 for 3.
Amazing to think that we were 3/37, eh?

Burgey

County cricket conflicts with IPL; so that's definitely never going to happen again. Shield season is largely the same time as the Ranji season; it'd be interesting to see if we could arrange some sort of emerging player trading, even for just part of the season.
You don't hear much these days about how Aussies are going in county championship anymore. When Waugh, Taylor, Law, Lehmann and those blokes went over it helped them enormously. I think when Taylor played in the Lancashire League he broke almost every record and they asked him not to come back.

I suppose the money lies elsewhere now.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
You don't hear much these days about how Aussies are going in county championship anymore. When Waugh, Taylor, Law, Lehmann and those blokes went over it helped them enormously. I think when Taylor played in the Lancashire League he broke almost every record and they asked him not to come back.

Tbf Kahwaja and Hughes have both been over in the last couple of years. Didn't do that well though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Chris Rogers had yet another stellar county season last in 2011. Voges, Khawaja and McDonald all played too and went decently without being spectacular, and Sam Robson averaged more with the bat in the County Championship last season than he does in Sydney First Grade (make of that what you will :ph34r:).

Don't think any Aussie bowlers went over there; none that I can remember off the top of my head anyway apart from Wright who's retired now.