• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2005-06

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
England WC Squad

Well i've got 25 players who i think deserve to go, but only 23 will disappointingly but here they are:

doc,

GOAL-KEEPERS:

Paul Robinson, Robert Green, David James

DEFENDERS:

Gary Neville, John Terry, Sol Campbell, Ashley Cole, Jamie Carragher, Jonathan Woodgate/Ledley King, Rio Ferdinand, Wayne Bridge.

MID-FIELDERS:

David Beckham, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Joe Cole, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Joey Baton/Keiron Dyer, Michael Carrick, Scott Parker.

STRIKERS:

Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney, Jermaine Defoe, Peter Crouch

Attachments

BoyBrumby

Englishman
aussie said:
Well i've got 25 players who i think deserve to go, but only 23 will disappointingly but here they are:

doc,

GOAL-KEEPERS:

Paul Robinson, Robert Green, David James

DEFENDERS:

Gary Neville, John Terry, Sol Campbell, Ashley Cole, Jamie Carragher, Jonathan Woodgate/Ledley King, Rio Ferdinand, Wayne Bridge.

MID-FIELDERS:

David Beckham, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Joe Cole, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Joey Baton/Keiron Dyer, Michael Carrick, Scott Parker.

STRIKERS:

Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney, Jermaine Defoe, Peter Crouch
Keepers: yeah, barring injury

Defenders: Woodgate won't go; King covers midfield too so he's a shoe-in. Luke Young will go too.

Midfield: Smith will definitely go as he covers the strikers too, however nominally. Hargreaves will v probably go, can't see Barton, Carrick or Parker there with Dyer unlikely due to injury.

Forwards: Probably, although Defoe needs to play more. Vassell's actually done ok with Citeh & Sven is a fan, so you never know.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:

Defenders: Woodgate won't go; King covers midfield too so he's a shoe-in. Luke Young will go too.

Midfield: Smith will definitely go as he covers the strikers too, however nominally. Hargreaves will v probably go, can't see Barton, Carrick or Parker there with Dyer unlikely due to injury.

Forwards: Probably, although Defoe needs to play more. Vassell's actually done ok with Citeh & Sven is a fan, so you never know.
Would agree with all of that, except I think Carrick is a shoo-in. Sven's made positive noises about him in the past, and if he needs holding players to do the job if King gets injured, Parker is unlikely to go having not played for England in ages, and Sven must have realised by now that Hargreaves is rubbish. He realised with Heskey. :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
People like Parker and Barton it's too late for the WC - there's only 1 friendly now before the squad is named.

For me SWP doesn't deserve a place since he's not playing enough and has also been rubbish in just about every International he's played.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:

If young were to go it would be in place of Carragher who i think would be a shoe-in since he's versatile, Young also scares me a bit i remember the friendly againts Argentina he looked a bit out of depth againts them, so Carragher to back up Neville to be safe.

Well maybe Smith may go if you think you look at the fact that Parker hasn't played since when & Dyer is injured & may not recover in time for the WC, but he's so lame :dry:

With Vassel i hope to go he isn't picked

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
For me SWP doesn't deserve a place since he's not playing enough and has also been rubbish in just about every International he's played.
all true but who else would you pick as backup on the right other than him?, really his place to germany is just about secured.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i know SWP has been playing much at SB, but which other player in the country would u take as backup for Beckham on the right?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
aussie said:
If young were to go it would be in place of Carragher who i think would be a shoe-in since he's versatile, Young also scares me a bit i remember the friendly againts Argentina he looked a bit out of depth againts them, so Carragher to back up Neville to be safe.

Well maybe Smith may go if you think you look at the fact that Parker hasn't played since when & Dyer is injured & may not recover in time for the WC, but he's so lame :dry:

With Vassel i hope to go he isn't picked
With 23 players (3 goalkeepers mandatory) I think the squad is essentially going to be two players for every position, so we need cover @ RB for Blakey. I don't see Carragher, Beckham or Hargreaves as serious options there so I'd be pretty confident Young will go.

Carragher will go as 4th centre-half with Ledley as centre-half/midfield utility.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
With 23 players (3 goalkeepers mandatory) I think the squad is essentially going to be two players for every position, so we need cover @ RB for Blakey. I don't see Carragher, Beckham or Hargreaves as serious options there so I'd be pretty confident Young will go.

Carragher will go as 4th centre-half with Ledley as centre-half/midfield utility.
FWIW I'd have picked Hibbert over Young ITFP, but there we go. Young'll almost certainly be WC-bound, unless he has a real nightmare of a 4 months.

By the way, I'd like to make a ridiculously early shout for the inclusion of Gary O'Neil in the England squad for Euro 2008. :p :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Barney Rubble said:
FWIW I'd have picked Hibbert over Young ITFP, but there we go. Young'll almost certainly be WC-bound, unless he has a real nightmare of a 4 months.

By the way, I'd like to make a ridiculously early shout for the inclusion of Gary O'Neil in the England squad for Euro 2008. :p :D
Blue-tinted specs blinding you there I fear! :p

Think his best bet might be The Micks with that surname.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Blue-tinted specs blinding you there I fear! :p

Think his best bet might be The Micks with that surname.
Blue-tinted? What do you mean? I thought the whole world was blue anyway....... :p

He's definitely not a Mick, he was born in Millwall IIRC. And in all seriousness, he is a very talented player - and he has captained England U21s on more than one occasion, so the coaches in the national setup obviously know he's capable. Not that Sven or Tord would ever dare to venture down to Fratton Park, of course - we all know Sven only watches players he knows he's going to pick, and that anyone else is usually picked on word of mouth. :dry: :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:

ah well, looking at your reasoning you may be right.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!

"....Meanwhile in England, Exeter City FC player Craig Farrell has set a new benchmark for intelligence by starting a fire at his club's training complex by microwaving his socks. "He thought he could dry his socks in the microwave and he ended up training barefoot," said Exeter manager Alex Inglethorpe. "The thing I am most glad about is that he has managed to dispel the tag that footballers are a bit stupid."

PY

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:

"....Meanwhile in England, Exeter City FC player Craig Farrell has set a new benchmark for intelligence by starting a fire at his club's training complex by microwaving his socks. "He thought he could dry his socks in the microwave and he ended up training barefoot," said Exeter manager Alex Inglethorpe. "The thing I am most glad about is that he has managed to dispel the tag that footballers are a bit stupid."
That's absolutely brilliant. :laugh:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
well Oldham have signed Anthony Grant from Chelsea on a months loan, lets hope he can drive us up into the play offs
Is he going to be the new team chauffeur, then?

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:

:laugh: