• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2005-06

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tom Halsey said:
Nah, was intended.
We're buggered, it's official. We couldn't even dominate a ManUre midfield that contained O'Shea & Fletcher. No disrespect to them, but hardly Keane & Scholes, are they?

Interesting article in today's Guardian about our alledged "youthfulness" too. Of the big 3 we actually fielded the eldest XI in this last round of fixtures: Chelsea are the youngest @ a shade over 25.5, then Moan U @ 26.5 & finally us with an average age of 27.5! 8-)

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9753,1678328,00.html

Tom Halsey

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Interesting article in today's Guardian about our alledged "youthfulness" too. Of the big 3 we actually fielded the eldest XI in this last round of fixtures: Chelsea are the youngest @ a shade over 25.5, then Moan U @ 26.5 & finally us with an average age of 27.5! 8-)
Well I've been getting more and more annoyed at the lack of English youth at Arsenal to be honest. All the Worthless Cup teams they field that are filled with youth don't have many English players in them.

As for United, I genuinely think we need to get rid of Ferguson as soon as possible. Granted, he's one of the greatest managers ever, but all things run their course, and Ferguson has run his. All these people who say that Ferguson has rebuilt before and will do it again are seriously deluding themselves. The guy is 64, and does he really want to do it again? Can he really be bothered? Also, at 64 he's not going to be as sharp as he once was.

As for who replaces him, anyone with a proven CV for managing top clubs will do.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tom Halsey said:
Well I've been getting more and more annoyed at the lack of English youth at Arsenal to be honest. All the Worthless Cup teams they field that are filled with youth don't have many English players in them.

As for United, I genuinely think we need to get rid of Ferguson as soon as possible. Granted, he's one of the greatest managers ever, but all things run their course, and Ferguson has run his. All these people who say that Ferguson has rebuilt before and will do it again are seriously deluding themselves. The guy is 64, and does he really want to do it again? Can he really be bothered? Also, at 64 he's not going to be as sharp as he once was.

As for who replaces him, anyone with a proven CV for managing top clubs will do.
Van Hiddink. If he doesn't get the England job.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Hope he doesn't get the England job to be honest, would rather an English manager.

To be honest, I wish Ferguson had quit in 2002 when he planned, and Hitzveld was our manager, all would be good now. But, atm I wouldn't mind Hiddink at United though, when Ferguson goes (which with Glazer at the club will hopefully be the summer, don't think he'll stand much rubbish).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tom Halsey said:
Hope he doesn't get the England job to be honest, would rather an English manager.

To be honest, I wish Ferguson had quit in 2002 when he planned, and Hitzveld was our manager, all would be good now. But, atm I wouldn't mind Hiddink at United though, when Ferguson goes (which with Glazer at the club will hopefully be the summer, don't think he'll stand much rubbish).
Trouble is there's no-one with a decent enough track record. Pearcey looking decent at Citeh, but needs another couple of years. I want best man for the gig, regardless of passport.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
Will a foreigner care? I've often wondered if Sven actually cares - doesn't give a very good impression of it.
I say employ a foreigner with Pearce doing what McClaren does now. I'd like to see a player try and be unmotivated with Psycho screaming down his ear. :p :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tom Halsey said:
Will a foreigner care? I've often wondered if Sven actually cares - doesn't give a very good impression of it.
Just his way. Arsene seems pretty calculating too, but you can tell he cares passionately. Plus Big Dunc's not exactly a native son is he?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Just his way. Arsene seems pretty calculating too, but you can tell he cares passionately. Plus Big Dunc's not exactly a native son is he?
Yeah but Fletcher's applied for British citizenship, which counts for something.

Might be Sven's way, but he doesn't give a good impression of caring. And it is debatable as to how good a job he's done. I think he probably has done, but I have to say he has got his tactics badly wrong at times.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tom Halsey said:
Yeah but Fletcher's applied for British citizenship, which counts for something.

Might be Sven's way, but he doesn't give a good impression of caring. And it is debatable as to how good a job he's done. I think he probably has done, but I have to say he has got his tactics badly wrong at times.
Think he's got it. Wasn't he made MBE in the new year's honours list?

& Kevin Keegan cared...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Think he's got it. Wasn't he made MBE in the new year's honours list?

& Kevin Keegan cared...
Yeah he has got it - forgot about that.

Yes, but Keegan wasn't very good was he?!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tom Halsey said:
Yeah he has got it - forgot about that.

Yes, but Keegan wasn't very good was he?!
That's kinda my point. Showing you care doesn't mean you're any good or actually that you care any more. I happen to think Sven has been really lucky as our manager in that he's got the best crop of English players I can remember in my 20+ years watching the game. Whether he has always got the best out of them is another matter. If he goes tho (& I suspect he will unless we win the WC) I don't necessarily think we need an English manager. We should just go for the best qualified (& available). It's no coincidence that none of the top five teams have a English manager; I just don't think there's one out there up to it.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
That's kinda my point. Showing you care doesn't mean you're any good or actually that you care any more. I happen to think Sven has been really lucky as our manager in that he's got the best crop of English players I can remember in my 20+ years watching the game. Whether he has always got the best out of them is another matter. If he goes tho (& I suspect he will unless we win the WC) I don't necessarily think we need an English manager. We should just go for the best qualified (& available). It's no coincidence that none of the top five teams have a English manager; I just don't think there's one out there up to it.
I know that just because you care doesn't make you good, but you can be the best manager tactically in the World, but it all means sod all if you don't give a flying ****.

If there's a non-English manager that shows he cares about us, I'm all for it. But I've never been convinced with Sven.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tom Halsey said:
I know that just because you care doesn't make you good, but you can be the best manager tactically in the World, but it all means sod all if you don't give a flying ****.

If there's a non-English manager that shows he cares about us, I'm all for it. But I've never been convinced with Sven.
TBF I don't think any manager would last long if they didn't actually give a monkey's. The point I was trying to make is that just because you seem to care more doesn't necessarily mean you do; witness Steve Waugh's apparent cold detachment & compare it to Ponting's occasional schoolboy histrionics, would you say Waugh cared less?

I suspect we view Sven with suspicion still because he doesn't quite comform to our stereotype of what a "leader" should behave like. Me, I say judge him on his results. This time I suspect another gallant QF won't quite cut it.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
1) TBF I don't think any manager would last long if they didn't actually give a monkey's. The point I was trying to make is that just because you seem to care more doesn't necessarily mean you do; witness Steve Waugh's apparent cold detachment & compare it to Ponting's occasional schoolboy histrionics, would you say Waugh cared less?

2) I suspect we view Sven with suspicion still because he doesn't quite comform to our stereotype of what a "leader" should behave like. Me, I say judge him on his results. This time I suspect another gallant QF won't quite cut it.
1) Steve Waugh showed he cared in other ways (such as playing through the pain barrier for his team, and I could go on for ages).

2) IMO, a gallant QF didn't cut it in 2004.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tom Halsey said:
1) Steve Waugh showed he cared in other ways (such as playing through the pain barrier for his team, and I could go on for ages).

2) IMO, a gallant QF didn't cut it in 2004.
No, fair enough. We should've beaten Portugal, the fact that when we went behind we scored another relatively quickly shows for me we sat back too much. The trouble is Sven wasn't about to walk out on (a reputed) £5million pa & that's a lot of money the FA has to cough up to get him to walk.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
So another stupid signing by the Real President then?
well going by Barney's reason yes, but he would give Real stirking force some depth now so in that sense its a good signing...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Except who does he replace to get in the side?

Raul, Ronaldo, Robinho, Zidane, Beckham etc won't be dropped....