• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2005-06

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tom Halsey said:
:p

Fair enough, but my point was also that we're relying on one player, which is bad enough, but it was made much worse as he's a teenager in his major tournament debut.

Even if he was 28, it'd still be worrying that we seem to rely on one player.
Hardly.

I've taken a huge interest in every WC since (and including) 1962, and the current England side has got more quality players in it than any time since certainly 1970, possibly even before that.

At the end of the day though, you need a little bit extra - sometimes it's a player who excels to such an extent that they dominate the whole stage (e.g. Pele, Maradona, Cruyff - even though Holland didn't win, Rubberknickers or a few others I could mention) or it could be an outrageous slice of good fortune (It pays to have a Russian linesman).

Tom Halsey

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Hardly.

I've taken a huge interest in every WC since (and including) 1962, and the current England side has got more quality players in it than any time since certainly 1970, possibly even before that.

At the end of the day though, you need a little bit extra - sometimes it's a player who excels to such an extent that they dominate the whole stage (e.g. Pele, Maradona, Cruyff - even though Holland didn't win, Rubberknickers or a few others I could mention) or it could be an outrageous slice of good fortune (It pays to have a Russian linesman).
Yes, but Marc's comment was 'not his fault Rooney got injured', implies that if Rooney gets injured we're almost certain to lose. If that is the case, we're not very good. (I'm not saying it is, but that's what Marc's comment implied).

Not seen a huge amount of the 1970 WC, but I'd have thought that Brazil could have won that fairly easily without Pele? I doubt the same of Argentina and Holland though, although they'd still have been hard teams to beat.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The point is England were still 1-0 up against a team that was struggling and didn't have a good defense anyway. This was in Euro 2004 when the teams were all fairly poor, it didn't even get to the point where England didn't win it because of lacking their star player, they got knocked out by an also-ran. To get knocked out from there is absolutely abysmal and the fault must lie with the manager because of the way England obligingly camped on their own penalty area.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I have to partially agree with Scaly here, in Euro2004 i felt we had the players to beat all the other sides in the comp (probably even without Rooney) but it did seem like at the important points the tactics were all wrong - defending too deep once we were in the lead etc

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
I have to partially agree with Scaly here, in Euro2004 i felt we had the players to beat all the other sides in the comp (probably even without Rooney) but it did seem like at the important points the tactics were all wrong - defending too deep once we were in the lead etc
yea thats true, that mistake CANNOT be repeated againts major sides in germany, or it will be curtains.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
superkingdave said:
it did seem like at the important points the tactics were all wrong - defending too deep once we were in the lead etc
No doubt.

Marc, Portugal were an also-ran, and the result matters:

marc71178 said:
Result is what counts though
Portugal therefore did not dominate the final.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Barney Rubble said:
If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Rooney scoring first in a Man Utd win tonight.
I'd say Van Nosedive, but same result. 2-1 ManUre.

Mind you, we're playing that badly we'll probably win out of spite!

Scaly piscine

So another anonymous display from the big game/team flop aka the CDMs' chief poseur. That 0-0 and other bad luck has probably sunk my Aussie (fantasy) Premier League team.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Scaly piscine said:
So another anonymous display from the big game/team flop aka the CDMs' chief poseur. That 0-0 and other bad luck has probably sunk my Aussie (fantasy) Premier League team.
His mind does seem elsewhere just now. Barcelona, probably....

Still I'd have taken 0-0 before the game, which is really pretty depressing when you think about it.

Craig

World Traveller
Surprised no team in England didn't have a go at Antonio Cassano. Considering the amount Real paid for him, it isn't out of the reachs of the lieks of Arsenal, Man Utd etc.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Wouldn't really fit in with either of them - his best position is just behind the front two, and neither of them play like that. Plus he has attitude problems.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
His mind does seem elsewhere just now. Barcelona, probably...
Yeah, the Gonners really are falling apart. Henry is almost certainly off (I've a feeling he's already told the club and they'll offload him in the summer, to at least get money for him).

Arsenal without Henry really are going to be struggling.

Scaly piscine

Tom Halsey said:
Yeah, the Gonners really are falling apart. Henry is almost certainly off (I've a feeling he's already told the club and they'll offload him in the summer, to at least get money for him).

Arsenal without Henry really are going to be struggling.
Freudian slip?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Barney Rubble said:
Wouldn't really fit in with either of them - his best position is just behind the front two, and neither of them play like that. Plus he has attitude problems.
So another stupid signing by the Real President then?