• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Season Thread (2005)

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Cook really has made people sit up this year, i think alot of people expected too much from him last year after his good U19 world cup, but he's really put the scores on the board so far.
Unfortunately theres about Zero chance of him even getting a look in to the England side for at least a few years. Hopefully it will make him more hungry to get big scores.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I would make him an outside bet for a touring spot this winter actually. This current management isn't afraid to blood them young.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
I would make him an outside bet for a touring spot this winter actually. This current management isn't afraid to blood them young.
Possibly, i cant see Butcher (hopefully dropped) or Thorpe (surely retiring?) in the England side for one reason or another after the Ashes.

Bell, Pietersen and Key will take up their places so i guess it does leave 1 or 2 slots open in the Squad.
If Prior has a good season i think we'll definitely see him get in there somehow, so no reason why Cook couldnt get the outside place.
Whether they think he'll get more from being on tour with the full squad or going to the acadamy may also play a part.

Anyway, early days yet.
On a side note, i really dont know how Worcestershire will cope once Hick retires, the guy is a legend.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd say, as of now the tour squad has Trescothick, Strauss, Vaughan, Bell and Pietersen inked in.

With Flintoff, Jones and probably Prior to cover 6 and 7.

2 batting covers though - take your pick from Cook, Joyce, Key, Butcher, Collingwood.

twctopcat

International Regular
Good effort from bell, great double ton. Also good to see Cook doing well as many have commented on. I hope Jon Lewis gets a test against Bang soon as well, he is doing very well this year so far. I hope the selectors have a look at Prior as well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I can see no justification for Lewis getting a Test spot ahead of the 3 men in possession, regardless of opposition.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
superkingdave said:
but Hick is absolutely killing us
Quick word of congrats to the big fella; his 176 moved him ahead of WG Grace to 10th in the all-time FC century makers list. His 127th in total from only 780 innings.

Next in his sights are Goochie (128) & Sir Leonard Hutton (129).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
I'd say, as of now the tour squad has Trescothick, Strauss, Vaughan, Bell and Pietersen inked in.

With Flintoff, Jones and probably Prior to cover 6 and 7.

2 batting covers though - take your pick from Cook, Joyce, Key, Butcher, Collingwood.
If you're looking for a left-field pick, what about Pothas for no.2 keeper? Seriously. He averages nearly 40 in CC games, qualifies for us at the end of the summer & is a better keeper than Prior or Jones.

I guess his age will count against him, but I think he's worthy of serious consideration.

Langeveldt

Soutie
My mate Donner came rushing back from the CG to tell me about Andre Adams taking the "poor mans hat trick" today :) (IE one against Somerset)

Um, nice start Sanath.. I think I'll take my camera to our game against Bruton and not the CG this weekend..

I think we should embrace Kolpak.. No point in taking the moral high ground, when it doesn't exist any more..

Chubb

International Regular
I saw the hat-trick. I think somerset were pretty stupid to sign Jayasuriya. don't get me wrong, he's a class act but I think I'm right in thinking he's 36, and never played early-season in England before. They probably should have signed a Kiwi, because they are used to the conditions in England early-season. HJH Marshall would have been the guy. I'd have paid to watch him. I was sitting near some Somerset youth players or something and they had some pretty nasty things to say about Jayasuriya.

I only saw the last session because I had to get a lift over from Honiton after college. I was expecting a Somerset rearguard, and Francis did play well, but Trescothick looked pretty out of touch, and got out top-edging a pull off Napes.

I didn't think I'd get to see a hat-trick, and the first one of the season too, for my County by an overseas player from my other country!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Chubb said:
I didn't think I'd get to see a hat-trick, and the first one of the season too, for my County by an overseas player from my other country!
Not the first one - Harmo!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Quick word of congrats to the big fella; his 176 moved him ahead of WG Grace to 10th in the all-time FC century makers list. His 127th in total from only 780 innings.

Next in his sights are Goochie (128) & Sir Leonard Hutton (129).
I read a comment the other day which may or may not have been attributed to Hick, suggesting that he might keep playing until he's 45.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
luckyeddie said:
I read a comment the other day which may or may not have been attributed to Hick, suggesting that he might keep playing until he's 45.
Obviously after Jack Hobbs's record! only 70 tons to go! :D

Seriously tho, I don't any reason to quit while he's still flaying county attacks (& pretty decent ones at that); he's obviously looked after himself. Very impressive physique for a bloke who must be nudging 40.

Swervy

International Captain
superkingdave said:
Hick's gone now, but Murali hasn't bowled yet this morning, which is strange

is it raining in Manchester at the moment (it is here in Keighley)...maybe its a bit tricky for Murali to grip the ball...and Corky seems to be doing ok with the ball anyway