• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I have to say I admire Key's guts. He isn't going to give Ntini a sniff of the hook shot it seems. It looks like someone's learned the lesson.

twctopcat

International Regular
Mr Casson said:
He's doing fine!! Settle :p
Well i know exactly who to blame when the ball plops in the hands of deep backward square leg!! I'm usually the one that tempts fate anyway!

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
twctopcat said:
Well i know exactly who to blame when the ball plops in the hands of deep backward square leg!! I'm usually the one that tempts fate anyway!
Oh ye of little faith.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'd have settled for 77-1 at lunch when we started. Has the ball done a lot? We were told it would swing, but we seem pretty comfortable. It's good to see our batters treating this like a test match instead of an ODI, but much more of the same is needed. I wonder what is viewed as a par score on this pitch. Tresco's tour seems to be reverting to type after his heroics at Durban.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
wpdavid said:
I'd have settled for 77-1 at lunch when we started. Has the ball done a lot? We were told it would swing, but we seem pretty comfortable. It's good to see our batters treating this like a test match instead of an ODI, but much more of the same is needed. I wonder what is viewed as a par score on this pitch. Tresco's tour seems to be reverting to type after his heroics at Durban.
Not a lot of movement, average score is 333.

twctopcat

International Regular
wpdavid said:
Just wondering if anyone who saw that innings of 130 by tres thought it was any good as centuries go?? All i seem to remember is him playing onto his pads alot.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
twctopcat said:
Just wondering if anyone who saw that innings of 130 by tres thought it was any good as centuries go?? All i seem to remember is him playing onto his pads alot.
He was feeding off Strauss for most of the innings, which is something that helps when you've got a good partner, but you can't afford when you need to make a stand by yourself.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Casson said:
Not a lot of movement, average score is 333.
So we need 400+ first innings? I gather the wicket is pretty slow due to the rain, despite being forecast to be quick. Maybe it will quicken up if the sun's on it for a couple of days.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
wpdavid said:
So we need 400+ first innings? I gather the wicket is pretty slow due to the rain, despite being forecast to be quick. Maybe it will quicken up if the sun's on it for a couple of days.
I'd say 400 would be very welcome... Rain is forecast at some point during the match I think, so I can't see England losing from 400+.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Casson said:
I'd say 400 would be very welcome... Rain is forecast at some point during the match I think, so I can't see England losing from 400+.
South Africa should look to get England all out before 300..

Any thing between 300 and 400 would mean evens stevens..

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
South Africa should look to get England all out before 300..

Any thing between 300 and 400 would mean evens stevens..
Do you think the bowlers should be swinging the ball more than we've seen there this morning?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
wpdavid said:
Do you think the bowlers should be swinging the ball more than we've seen there this morning?
The pitch was definitely useful in the morning. South Africa was unlucky not to get Trescothic early and also the shot of Key to Smith didnt carry.

South Africa could have swung a bit more but the wicket is slow too which nullifies partially efforts by bowlers. I think both teams played very well with South Africa being a bit unlucky.

Also the excellent batting by Strauss barring two shots meant the English had balance swung their way.

The fact that initially England lost only one wicket, means South Africa might struggle today. Thats why Trescothic not being out and sticking on was so very crucial.

Now it wont swing as much and barring a small collapse, England have the advantage..

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Strauss looks like he has his share of luck as well... I think that surely his temperament and his technique contribute to it a fair bit though.