• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SA have actually bowled quite well, particularly when you consider that Pollock looked to be in decline, Ntini's inconsistent, they had no back-up paceman before the series, and Boje's not the greatest.

England's big concern is the SA batting and their own bowling .

Gibbs, Smith, and Rudolph (lots of starts without getting a big one) have all under-achieved. Kallis has been great and he's the type of player that will continue piling on the runs. Boucher's back and he's useful.

England's bowling, aside from Flintoff and Harmison (bowled OK but seems to have lost the knack of taking wickets), is ordinary. Hoggard is OK with the new ball (particularly whilst Gibbs and Smith are playing so poorly) but hardly a threat after that whilst Jones and Giles are average at best.

The fact that England also seem tired does not bode well for the rest of the series. From this point, I think it'll be a top achievement to win the series.

Mister Wright

tooextracool said:
except that both pollock and ntini are bowling as well as they possibly can, ntini is in fact bowling better than usual.

I think Pollock can bowl better than he is at the moment. He is as tight as always, but he is lacking that strike power he is capable of, he hasn't really had it since about a year after he took the captaincy, it is starting to come back, I really think he can get it back this year, if the bowling side is consistent.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Conveniently forgetting the four consecutive fours off Harmison which stimulated a huge amount of quite pointless discussion here :)

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
I think Pollock can bowl better than he is at the moment. He is as tight as always, but he is lacking that strike power he is capable of, he hasn't really had it since about a year after he took the captaincy, it is starting to come back, I really think he can get it back this year, if the bowling side is consistent.
yes thats precisely the point i was making to richard in another thread. hes lost an extra yard of pace since 2001 and really has struggled on every flat wicket. but IMO its highly unlikely that anyone can increase his pace after 30, in fact he will only get slower.

Mister Wright

tooextracool said:
yes thats precisely the point i was making to richard in another thread. hes lost an extra yard of pace since 2001 and really has struggled on every flat wicket. but IMO its highly unlikely that anyone can increase his pace after 30, in fact he will only get slower.
He doesn't have to get quicker to be a greater striker. He just has to do what McGrath, Akram and many other bowlers in their post 30 years and develop that zip off the pitch.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
He doesn't have to get quicker to be a greater striker. He just has to do what McGrath, Akram and many other bowlers in their post 30 years and develop that zip off the pitch.
that zip only comes in 3 possible ways:
off the pitch- in which case he usually bowls well anyways
with pace- which hes lost
andwith height- which is what mcgrath uses to good effect. pollock isnt quite as tall. akram on the other hand was still bowling over 80mph towards the end of his career.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Conveniently forgetting the four consecutive fours off Harmison which stimulated a huge amount of quite pointless discussion here :)
Be honest Rich, would you rather have Hoggard or Ntini out there batting for you?

Scaly piscine

I reckon if Harmison could figure out how to stop the ball smashing into the stumps in the first 5 or so deliveries he faces I'd have him out there...

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
that wasnt good batting :) if he had got out trying to do that he would have looked a fool

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Moving on, I see on news that Fred has been passed fit to bowl. I'm praying to Jesus, Allah, Jehovah, Jah, Vishnu & Buddha that he doesn't break down.
Exactly what I did when I found out!!!

Risky, risky, risky... :unsure:

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
McGrath has the cover drive. Your point? :)
read the post i quoted. someone suggested that he had no scoring shot. no one said that he was a brilliant batsman because he could play the cover drive.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
read the post i quoted. someone suggested that he had no scoring shot. no one said that he was a brilliant batsman because he could play the cover drive.
Jokes, jokes, Mr Ancypants.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The fact that some of us are ready for this match even before it starts shows nothing beats a genuine test cricket contest.