• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Credit to Amla, he's really grafting away. Dunno how he's averaging 80+ in SA domestic tho, looks badly out of touch.

Hoggy wants to try his off-cutter again.

Steulen

International Regular
Not enough runs for SA
Not enough wickets for England

Honours even, I'd say. Although with Kallis poised for another ton,Amla survivng the difficult early parts, and De Villiers / Pollock / Boje to come, they could go on to make a good total tomorrow.

They'll need it too, because taking 20 wickets will be difficult.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
On some days the pitch will be flat and one some days it will be a bowling wicket. But how would you feel if an Englishman made a century like Kallis did in the earlier test and the next thing you hear is that is cause of a flat pitch more than other things?

If that were the case, then I for one would be pointing that out as something that needs to be considered.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mister Wright said:
When purchasing a ticket for test matches in South Africa all patrons should be presented with a pillow for each South African innings.
So go and watch some Twenty20 or a stale ODI tournament if you can't appreciate a good day of test match cricket.. If you're at the ground they should get earplugs as well

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Honours even for me - A fifth wicket would have made it England's day, but SA were unable to really score quickly enough to get into a real position of dominance, and when each wicket fell, it was back to square one again.

Harmison's form, or lack of, is starting to reach the "minor worry" stage around now, mind.

a massive zebra

International Captain
A pretty acceptable first day from England's point of view, given the pitch can only be described as a batsman's paradise. Is Harmison a bad track bully and a minnow basher, or simply a class act struggling for form?

Langeveldt

Soutie
a massive zebra said:
A pretty acceptable first day from England's point of view, given the pitch can only be described as a batsman's paradise. Is Harmison a bad track bully and a minnow basher, or simply a class act struggling for form?
He is a West Indies basher (minnows), a good bowler anyway, struggling for form

biased indian

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
He is a West Indies basher (minnows), a good bowler anyway, struggling for form
or had form for only a small period and back to normal ways now ?????

may be by the end of the series we will get a small picture and might have to wait some more time for the big picture

Langeveldt

Soutie
biased indian said:

may be by the end of the series we will get a small picture and might have to wait some more time for the big picture
So maybe me and Eric Heath were right all along.. He really is rubbish..

Only joking guys, we have to wait a long time to be proved correct :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Marc said:
If that were the case, then I for one would be pointing that out as something that needs to be considered.

a massive zebra said:
Just a case. I am sure had England been batting first not much credit would be given to the South African bowlers in the same scenario.

Didnt point that out did you!?

Marcus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Langeveldt said:
Just seen the highlights.. Sky don't know how to spell Langeveldt.. Im actually quite annoyed :(
Your lucky you can see highlights at all.......4 balls on bbc eaelier...wow thank you terristrial.....but talk sport good coverage....although im afraid Radio 4 still beats them in the coverage. Is there a wicket in south africa which has something for both bastmen and bowler throughout the test....seems like there isnt a true pitch in the country

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
biased indian said:

If Harmison was bowling in the same manner he had in the summer and WI, I would be more concerned than I am. At the moment, he's down several mph, and too short, and too wide. Had he bowled like this last year, he wouldn't have taken those wickets - so, as you were, please Steve.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Marcus said:
seems like there isnt a true pitch in the country
Pah, wash your mouth out boy.. beats the old Bishop's Hull minefield any day!

In all seriousness, they haven't been too bad. And I would rather cricket had some result wickets than boring 500 plays 500 drawn test matches.. And the fact that there has been drought in South Africa doesn't make for ideal preparation

Marcus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Langeveldt said:

beats your pitch any day...the slope for example is a easy 4 hit any day....even i got close with my number 11 slog......results are great and a true pitch would prove great viewing and make great tests....helping both the bowlers and the batters...it would make a good game and great viewing

Langeveldt

Soutie
Marcus said:
Langeveldt said:

beats your pitch any day...the slope for example is a easy 4 hit any day....even i got close with my number 11 slog......results are great and a true pitch would prove great viewing and make great tests....helping both the bowlers and the batters...it would make a good game and great viewing
Yeah, well Lords has got a slope.. My finest six was still rising when it got to the fir trees by the main road..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Just a case. I am sure had England been batting first not much credit would be given to the South African bowlers in the same scenario.

Didnt point that out did you!?
Well for a start, they'd have to have actually done the sort of job that England did today, and it's doubtful if they'd have been able to.

Had they done then credit would've been given.

You now seem to have changed your tune from telling us there's no way England could do anything in this series to attacking the English fans for doing things that we haven't done.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
You now seem to have changed your tune from telling us there's no way England could do anything in this series to attacking the English fans for doing things that we haven't done.
He's just getting his first experiences of being a messed and muddled Indobok... After a few years of this, it isnt pretty.. I bet I go grey early as well

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Well for a start, they'd have to have actually done the sort of job that England did today, and it's doubtful if they'd have been able to.

Had they done then credit would've been given.

Speaking of the job they would have been able to do, South Africa did make runs in the innings Kallis got his century in the last test. And they took the wickets in the first inning. So its not as if South Africa is incapable of 'doing the job'.

I havent changed any tune. Just pointing out the way the pitch is being iven credit when South Africa is doing some thing and the performances of the English over praised. Both should be given due credit.

And I NEVER said England could do nothing in the series.

All I have believed is that they wont win the series in South Africa. Its you who has magnified this to unimaginable proportions, attacking unnecessarily.