• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mr Casson said:
No it doesn't. The old ball is for spinners, and the spinner is the one bowling well at the moment. Why take that away from him when he could take a wicket? The new ball will always be there to take.
and the new ball will always gets old....

benchmark00

Mr Casson said:
And if they don't? What if they waste it? Why not try two things rather than just one?
as time goes on the batsmen get more set.... harder to get them out if it is monotonous... keeping the old ball will just delay the process and ultimately cost england runs...... however if giles gets a wicket now i will be wrong, but i dont see that happening

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
benchmark00 said:
as time goes on the batsmen get more set.... harder to get them out if it is monotonous... keeping the old ball will just delay the process and ultimately cost england runs...... however if giles gets a wicket now i will be wrong, but i dont see that happening
Well do you see Hoggard or Harmison taking a wicket? This pitch is as flat as a piece of paper, what do you really think the fast men can do? Either way, the delay will only be a few overs while they take a final gamble with the new ball.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
benchmark00 said:

Not if you are bowling to a plan. While South Africa are not hurting them on the scoreboard they should continue with their plan. That way they can always have the new ball 'up their sleeve' use it with one or two overs to go, or ake it tomorrow when the batsman aren't as set.

benchmark00

Mr Casson said:
Well do you see Hoggard or Harmison taking a wicket? This pitch is as flat as a piece of paper, what do you really think the fast men can do? Either way, the delay will only be a few overs while they take a final gamble with the new ball.
they got the early break through didnt they?.. looked like getting a wicket then... i dont reckon much wouldve changed

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
You also have to bear in mind they might delay the new ball till the morning when the quicks will be fresh and the batsmen will have to play themselves in again

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
benchmark00 said:
they got the early break through didnt they?.. looked like getting a wicket then... i dont reckon much wouldve changed
Hoggards wicket had everything to do with Gibbs leaving a straight ball, it did nothing off the pitch

benchmark00

superkingdave said:
Hoggards wicket had everything to do with Gibbs leaving a straight ball, it did nothing off the pitch
still got a wicket though... its just like haydens dismissal against akhtar the other day.. good bowling by akhtar, but a poor leave