• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
superkingdave said:
I think it was more the comments like

"England has no chance of winning in South Africa"

and

"It doesnt matter what bowling attack SA has they'll still beat England"

they don't seem like the comments of 'no attention seeker'
Matter of perspective. Believe what you can to the best of your ability. Thank you.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
Matter of perspective. Believe what you can to the best of your ability. Thank you.
Yes, but the way you say things has a huge impact on the way they're interpreted. For example, would you interpret "Pratyush is a very intelligent young man with forceful, considered views" any differently to "Pratyush is an arrogant little upstart with unfounded beliefs, who doesn't consider other people's opinions"? (I'm just using those as examples, I don't mean them as personal insults :))

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Casson said:
Yes, but the way you say things has a huge impact on the way they're interpreted.
I agree that things have to be delivered properly. I do not however think I said any thing arrogant. In the example you quoted, about me not considering other people's views, the same may be said about some people who didnt consider my view. Yes, views given with reasons is always some thing I believe in. Just cuoldnt do that a lot because of personal time constraints.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
I agree that things have to be delivered properly. I do not however think I said any thing arrogant. In the example you quoted, about me not considering other people's views, the same may be said about some people who didnt consider my view. Yes, views given with reasons is always some thing I believe in. Just cuoldnt do that a lot because of personal time constraints.
I said they were examples; I didn't mean that is what I thought of you.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When purchasing a ticket for test matches in South Africa all patrons should be presented with a pillow for each South African innings.

biased indian

International Coach
SA 202/3 IN 70 OVERS THEY SHOULD ATLEAST score 450+

an intresting note no team has fielded here after winning toss since 1927-28

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why is the commentator suggesting to keep the old ball? thats ridiculous, england want wickets, not keep the runs down, its test match cricket!!

Last edited:

Mister Wright

benchmark00 said:
Why is the commentator suggesting to keep the old ball? thats rediculous, england want wickets, not keep the runs down, its test match cricket!!

I think he makes a very valid point. Kallis is starting to look frustrated at not scoring, a few more overs of him continuing like that and he could snap, he's been walking around the crease 'Lehmann Style' for the last 1/2 hour. The new ball doesn't guarantee wickets, a few poor deliveries and the pressure is off Kallis.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
benchmark00 said:
Why is the commentator suggesting to keep the old ball? thats ridiculous, england want wickets, not keep the runs down, its test match cricket!!
And who looks like taking one? Giles. How's he going to do that with the new ball?

benchmark00

Mister Wright said:
I think he makes a very valid point. Kallis is starting to look frustrated at not scoring, a few more overs of him continuing like that and he could snap, he's been walking around the crease 'Lehmann Style' for the last 1/2 hour. The new ball doesn't guarantee wickets, a few poor deliveries and the pressure is off Kallis.
So by taking a new ball which will zip and swing around it will make it easier for him to score without risk?.... if england keep on using the old ball they are going to rely on kallis getting himself out... not a smart move

Mister Wright

benchmark00 said:
So by taking a new ball which will zip and swing around it will make it easier for him to score without risk?.... if england keep on using the old ball they are goign to rely on kallis getting himself out... not a smart move

Bowling tight and restricting a batsman for a period of time is not waiting for the batsman to get himself out. If you work at a plan and bowlers from both ends stick to it, you are getting him out.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
benchmark00 said:
So by taking a new ball which will zip and swing around it will make it easier for him to score without risk?.... if england keep on using the old ball they are going to rely on kallis getting himself out... not a smart move
No it doesn't. The old ball is for spinners, and the spinner is the one bowling well at the moment. Why take that away from him when he could take a wicket? The new ball will always be there to take.

benchmark00

Mr Casson said:
And who looks like taking one? Giles. How's he going to do that with the new ball?
ever think that the fast bowlers dont look like getting a wicket cause the ball is battered and tattered?? i think that a new ball will make the fast bowlers look more dangerous...

benchmark00

Mister Wright said:
Bowling tight and restricting a batsman for a period of time is not waiting for the batsman to get himself out. If you work at a plan and bowlers from both ends stick to it, you are getting him out.
ofcourse it is, it is relying on the batsmen to have a lapse of concentration... the fielding team cant get inside his head and make him think elsewhere

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
benchmark00 said:
ever think that the fast bowlers dont look like getting a wicket cause the ball is battered and tattered?? i think that a new ball will make the fast bowlers look more dangerous...
And if they don't? What if they waste it? Why not try two things rather than just one?