• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
S & G Jones Fan said:
vaughan punched gilo LOL!!!!!!!
Don't be surprised then if none of the other bowlers take a wicket with incentives like that.

"For every wicket, a dowry. On the cheek, no doubt."

S & G Jones Fan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mr Casson said:
Don't be surprised then if none of the other bowlers take a wicket with incentives like that.

"For every wicket, a dowry. On the cheek, no doubt."
LOL dont think he meant it on purpose ya no ;)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
superkingdave said:
Looks flat as already...
Apparently, whenever South Africa makes runs in this test, the pitch flattens out and when England collapses, its due to the pitch.

Pitches do play a role in a match performances must be given due credit.

India learnt how blaming a pitch for every thing is stupid last year.

[Edit] - I meant series, not the test.

Last edited:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
Apparently, whenever South Africa makes runs in this test, the pitch flattens out and when England collapses, its due to the pitch.

Oh, we're talking about how silly running one's mouth off can be are we?

Well, what about you storming on here saying England can't win at all in South Africa, and the Saffies were going to thump England in the series?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Casson said:
Oh, we're talking about how silly running one's mouth off can be are we?

Well, what about you storming on here saying England can't win at all in South Africa, and the Saffies were going to thump England in the series?
I said at the beginning of the series that England wont be able to win the series vs South Africa. South Africa has gone wee bit down and England have improved as a side. But South Africa have only lost to Australia in home 3-4 years ago.

Home advantage is still big in cricket and I dont believe England have it to win the series.

So who has jumped the gun can be determined only at the end of the series.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
I said at the beginning of the series that England wont be able to win the series vs South Africa. South Africa has gone wee bit down and England have improved as a side. But South Africa have only lost to Australia in home 3-4 years ago.

Home advantage is still big in cricket and I dont believe England have it to win the series.

So who has jumped the gun can be determined only at the end of the series.
Well it's one thing say it like that, your tone was infinitesimally more brash and arrogant! :p

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:

Well considering i said that after about one over, how could i be blaming anything on it - nothing had happened!?!?

As to your first comment, i'd like you to find somewhere where i've made such a comment, indeed during the last test when England made a low score, i said that i felt it was a decent pitch and predicted SA would make 400.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
superkingdave said:
Well considering i said that after about one over, how could i be blaming anything on it - nothing had happened!?!?

As to your first comment, i'd like you to find somewhere where i've made such a comment, indeed during the last test when England made a low score, i said that i felt it was a decent pitch and predicted SA would make 400.
I didnt say that specifically at you. General statement. I meant the series and not this test alone. Happened in the second test..

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
superkingdave said:
Why quote me then?
Because you are the first person I saw commenting on the pitch in the manner and thought you said that after South Africa had made some runs.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Casson said:
Well out of curiosity, who gets to decide?
Matter of perspective. I have been quite busy and will remain so till the 8th and so wasnt able to comment much on the forums. I am no attention seeker and it annoys me to be honest on how I was picked on in the absence because of some belief.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:
Matter of perspective. I have been quite busy and will remain so till the 8th and so wasnt able to comment much on the forums. I am no attention seeker and it annoys me to be honest on how I was picked on in the absence because of some belief.
:nopity:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I think it was more the comments like

"England has no chance of winning in South Africa"

and

"It doesnt matter what bowling attack SA has they'll still beat England"

they don't seem like the comments of 'no attention seeker'

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Erm, I think the fact the Groundsman said before the game that he thought it was a 400-500 track means nothing then?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Erm, I think the fact the Groundsman said before the game that he thought it was a 400-500 track means nothing then?
On some days the pitch will be flat and one some days it will be a bowling wicket. But how would you feel if an Englishman made a century like Kallis did in the earlier test and the next thing you hear is that is cause of a flat pitch more than other things?

Ofcourse pitches help batsmen or bowlers at specific times. But the batsmen still have to make the runs and bowlers still have to take the wickets. It does discredit a batsman when its said that he scored a good century but it was a flat wicket. Scoring international centuries is never easy even on the flattest of tracks (okay forget the tests vs bangladesh and zimbabwe though they do count as international officially)

Those made on bowling wickets would be appreciated more just like a five wicker hall by a pacer would be in the subcontinent. Doesnt mean the runs made or wickets taken on other wickets didnt require effort.