• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

tooextracool

International Coach
yes i did, your point is?
you dont have to have the best of techniques to be able to defend though. perhaps more suitable would be that ntini could survive.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I can see the point you're making & I will state now that I think the idea behind the quote-unquote quota of "previously disadvantaged" ethnic players is wholly admirable. It's a measure designed to help redress the balance after 40-odd years of apartheid & decades of unofficial SA policy before that.

As such it's hard to criticise it without seeming a bit of a racist buffoon, but looking at the form shown by Amla & Van Jaarsveld in the 2nd test objectively one has to conclude that VJ is more deserving of retention. Imagine the uproar if their form were reversed & Amla dropped?

I think cases of (what to call it?) "positive discrimination" (an oxymoron if ever there was) such as this only give more ammunition to the still extant darker forces in SA society.

But, for my tuppence worth, I'd pick Andrew Hall anyway! :D
Me too, with De Villiers batting at 6. As for the bigger issues, I think you're dead right, and I'll leave it there.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
as far as mcgrath being a better batsman is concerned, i seriously doubt hes good enough to score a 50, let alone survive 80 balls without a respectable batter at the other end.
Even though that's exactly what he did do?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
badgerhair said:
Which of them to pick for Cape Town seems to me to be a 50-50 call. On good cricketing grounds.
Didn't van Jaarsveld score runs and stay in for a fair while when they were looking to save the game?

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
i agree with the first part, not quite too sure about the 2nd. certain players might not quite be upto the mark when they are first picked despite good domestic averages, but they might just continue to improve at the domestic level and then step up to the level of test class. all im saying is that if england continued to ignore players who were performing consistently at the domestic level but failed miserably at the test level in their 5 tests, then they might just have not got flintoff.
What I said was "The subsequent ignoral of Adams sent the further message that if you do get a decent chance and you screw it up, you can just about forget about ever being called up again."

First, I said "just about" not "completely".

Second, I said "screw it up", which does not necessarily equate to "not score many runs (if a batsman)". It's perfectly possible to make 13 and 9 and look the goods although there's obviously a fair amount to be worked on, just as it's possible, though much less likely, to make 65 and look so awful that you never get picked again.

What matters in England's case is whether Fletcher and Miller think the player is good enough to play. The other point about keeping a guy in the side for a period is that you also get to work with him off the field, from which you can get a much more detailed idea about whether he is liable to be able to eradicate flaws you've spotted and end up making good on the promise you've identified. That experience as much as what goes on in actual Tests is what makes up the seelctors' minds.

They always knew that Flintoff was a potential winner, which is why they kept working with him for ages despite his relative lack of success on the field.

Cheers,

Mike

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Which of them to pick for Cape Town seems to me to be a 50-50 call. On good cricketing grounds.
Didn't van Jaarsveld score runs and stay in for a fair while when they were looking to save the game?
Yes, he did, and that's a factor in vJ's favour. As his basically disappointing record in his Tests up to now are a point against him. He's done a few good things, but he has got out cheaply and stupidly in the past as well.

If you can assemble a very strong case that van Jaarsveld ought to have been retained ahead of Amla, I congratulate you, because I can't see it. Any marginal case you make can be equally countered by an argument for giving a player in hot domestic form a decent chance to show what he's made of.

Cheers,

Mike

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
badgerhair said:
Second, I said "screw it up", which does not necessarily equate to "not score many runs (if a batsman)". It's perfectly possible to make 13 and 9 and look the goods although there's obviously a fair amount to be worked on, just as it's possible, though much less likely, to make 65 and look so awful that you never get picked again.
Dwayne Smith's century in SA last winter springs to mind (tho he did get picked again)

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
superkingdave said:
Hoggy Hoggy Hoggy!!!!

Thank you Herschelle :p
That's what I said here in my armchair!! That was a bit of a gift.

Why not just stick your bat in the way? I don't understand.

I think Gibbs is going to have nightmares about this.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vaughan must be due to win all of the tosses in the Ashes, as usual pure luck hands SA an advantage they don't deserve.