• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Langeveldt

Soutie
Of course, this problem would never exist if Tests were played in coloured kit and a white ball (Hell, it works well for ODI's!).. But imagine the uproar if that were put forward. That, IMO is where cricket shoots itself in the foot

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Related to being hit twice by Harmison?
Yeah, i read that he was doubtful but the latest i heard was that he is expected to be fit. I guess they examined him and determined there wasn't too much damage. Good news for SA and the test series

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Of course, this problem would never exist if Tests were played in coloured kit and a white ball (Hell, it works well for ODI's!).. But imagine the uproar if that were put forward. That, IMO is where cricket shoots itself in the foot
I guess that's a purely aesthetic call. I much prefer the game to be played in whites, which still leaves plenty of room for common sense to be applied re bad light, but that's just my personal taste.

Great performance by deV & Pollock today. I'm disappointed not to win, but there's no getting too upset about it after events elsewhere this week. I don't know when or if our bowling is going to fire during this series. I suppose Giles may still have been affected by the back injury, and Hoggard's doing OK, but the rest look well below par to me. At least more of the batsmen have found some form now (great effort by Strauss getting out so quickly yesterday to give the middle order some time in the middle), but I don't see us taking 20 SA wickets if the pitches are as forecast, especially when Dippenaar comes back.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If England can't bowl SA out twice there's not a cat in hell's chance of SA bowling England out twice. England's batting with the exception of Strauss can only get better. I am worried about the Harmison & Flintoff amongst others being too knackered to bowl at their best tho.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
If Englands bowlers are tired then so will the South African bowlers.
Steyn might struggle a bit like Anderson did too. He just wont be use to such an amount of games (in which he'll have bowled pretty much flat out) in such a short space of time. Pollocks not a young man anymore and Kallis didnt look to be bowling at 100%

tooextracool

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Err yea, go SA scrape a lucky draw after England handed them a huge advantage after the first innings and they're only losing 1-0 now. WOW. If Pollock misses the next Test the bad light is only delaying the 2-0 scoreline a week.
please, who is to say that ntini and abd(and steyn) wouldnt go on to survive the last hour of play?
and with the way that ntini is batting and harmison is bowling, they might just have won it.

tooextracool

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
An England team with not a great deal of form with 2 out of their 4 innings so far involving 4-5 of the top 7 throwing their wickets away still beat SA comfortably once and would have beaten SA here eventually. I dread to think how badly this team would perform when they're in form at home against Australia.
one can only wonder about the irony of this statement.......

PY

International Coach
Peanutbutterbar said:
Can't complain about stuff like this. Fair's fair. Taufell explained it well after the match, which was good of him.
Spot on my friend, I think Simon Taufel got it just right and it was very brave of him to give Nasser Hussain an interview just after because he must have known he was going to get grilled by a recently retired England captain. He explained his decision succinctly in my opinion and although I was disappointed by his decision (from an English bias) it was to the law and it was previously agreed by the captains.

As Neil said, it works in swings and roundabouts. Michael Vaughan mentioned in an interview after the presentation that England had a few favourable decisions in Sri Lanka last year to do with light and conditions and that helped us a great deal at the time.

All in all, a great Test match which I've managed to catch almost every ball of on the radio and I've been gripped by it due to the massive swings from one side to another. I reckon this was how every day ended in terms of domination.

Day One - RSA 75% Eng 25% (Although England got out for 139, they'd also managed to secure 3 wickets before the close of play for 70 runs so gave them a little credit)

Day Two - RSA 85% 15% (After England's surge in the morning session to reduce South Africa to 118/6, that man Kallis and his able ginger sidekick managed to put together the biggest (at the time) partnership of the game by far and with Kallis leading the tail, a lead of 193 looked unassailable. However, England's 15% comes from the opening pair getting through to the close without any loss of wickets.)

Day Three - England 55% RSA 45% (What a day for England as the game was completely and utterly turned on it's head by the supposedly out-of-form Tresco and Strauss. Biggest opening partnership in Durban and not just taking England into the lead but the psychological effects of this cannot be underestimated as the SA bowlers chugged away for five and a half hours with no success in crippling heat. Game on and England looking solid.)

Day Four - England 65% RSA 35% (That man bounced back again. According to Mike Atherton, "the best nurdler in world cricket" [is that a compliment??] nudged and pushed his way to another Test century on another day in which England stamped their authority. The morning started with Strauss, Vaughan (unluckily) and Butcher all falling early. Hands up who thought Freddie would come in and hook his way to his downfall. I had my doubts and my cynical dad certainly thought he would. Not to be, he played 24 scoring strokes in an innings of 112 balls. 3 of the 24 went into the crowd and 6 more into the boards. A partnership of 114 with Thorpe certainly steadied the ship and when Freddie fell to Boston (Smith), I felt a little apprehensive. What was I worrying about? The Papua New Guinean-born, Australian raised with a drop of Welsh blood wicketkeeper came down the pitch and slaughtered Smith over his head. I was waving my "I don't care if you've got a Welsh great-grandmother who's actually not Welsh but an illegal immigrant living in the Rhonda Valley" banner all around my head. A quickfire 73 from Jones meant that Vaughanie could declare (with Thorpe on 118* down the other end).....and still have time to take Smith's wicket before the close (should have had Gibbs too but we'll forgive Jones purely because he made Smith have a long-stop during his innings which was a hoot and something I've not seen since my Under 15 cricketing days).

Day 5 - Honours Even [but are they?] (Bad light stops play as England closed on a victory. 2 wickets left with 15 overs remaining [was anyone actually paying attention to the runs required column? ;)]. I'd say that South Africa must be happy that they survived through the work of AB De Villiers and his ginger side-kick but England will be delighted that after their poor work in days one and two that they remain unbeaten in 2004. 13 Test, 11 wins and 2 draws. Who'd have thought it when 1st January 2004 dawned 364 days ago? However, South Africa have had a far from great year in team terms. They'll be unhappy they let England off the hookv in this match if I know Smith and Jennings but they have the new year to look forward to where they'll hope (and me except in next 3 matches) SA can live up to their clear potential.)

South Africa 0 England 1.
Happy New Year everyone on CW. :)

Last edited:

Marcus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Best England Team ever......wot a game....wot a come back...wot a team.....although greta play by both teams..unbeaten in 2004 says it all....role on 2005...COME ON VAUGHANYS BOYS

PY

International Coach
Marcus said:
Best England Team ever......wot a game....wot a come back...wot a team.....although greta play by both teams..unbeaten in 2004 says it all....role on 2005...COME ON VAUGHANYS BOYS
Anything to say about this Neil? ;)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Marcus said:
Bishop's Hull isn't a very exciting place is it!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
please, who is to say that ntini and abd(and steyn) wouldnt go on to survive the last hour of play?
and with the way that ntini is batting and harmison is bowling, they might just have won it.
Oh come off it - Ntini doesn't have the ability to stay in long enough to have played a winning knock there.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So onto the 3rd Test.

If Giles is ruled unfit, I personally would like to see Collingwood get the call rather than Batty.

Traditionally the wicket hasn't helped spin, so Collingwood would strengthen the batting and fielding, and Vaughan and Collingwood can take the 5th bowler workload.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
So onto the 3rd Test.

If Giles is ruled unfit, I personally would like to see Collingwood get the call rather than Batty.

Traditionally the wicket hasn't helped spin, so Collingwood would strengthen the batting and fielding, and Vaughan and Collingwood can take the 5th bowler workload.
why in the hell would you want collingwood in the side ahead of bell and key??? collingwoods bowling is was and will forever be rubbish so i cant believe that anyone would use that as the basis for his selection.

edit:ok bell isnt in the side but personally id even pick anderson over collingwood.