• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Because they were still sailing along overall? As Avughan just said, the umpires didn't give any indication of it before they offered it.

Edit: To Marc.

Swervy

International Captain
Tom Halsey said:
Because they were still sailing along overall? As Avughan just said, the umpires didn't give any indication of it before they offered it.

Edit: To Marc.
he must have had a fair idea though that light was an issue.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I guess he did, but I doubt he knew it was being offered that quickly, because the umpires hadn't previously discussed it.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Must say that I'm pretty disappointed with the reaction of several England fans to this. You all know the rules about the light. Had the roles been reversed (and they were all of two days ago when Strauss and Butcher went off at 281-1) you wouldn't have cared.

I find it hard to believe that the Test squad will be whinging about this like you lot are - they will be taking the positives from it and looking to build on this as we go towards Cape Town for the Third Test.

Oh, and Benchmark00, seeing as your Under 19s lost to Bangladesh in the World Cup, I find it hard to believe that the Under 12s are better than Pollock and Ntini.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
If that was aimed at me, then as I said a while ago, if there was that agreement, then fair enough. I didn't know the captains had agreed that.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
Must say that I'm pretty disappointed with the reaction of several England fans to this. You all know the rules about the light. Had the roles been reversed (and they were all of two days ago when Strauss and Butcher went off at 281-1) you wouldn't have cared.

I find it hard to believe that the Test squad will be whinging about this like you lot are - they will be taking the positives from it and looking to build on this as we go towards Cape Town for the Third Test.

Oh, and Benchmark00, seeing as your Under 19s lost to Bangladesh in the World Cup, I find it hard to believe that the Under 12s are better than Pollock and Ntini.
At last, some sanity among the rubbish.. No wonder English fans have a reputation going!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Peanutbutterbar said:
Langeveldt are you British or South African. You say you live in England, yet your fave player is Allan Donald.
I'm a Brit.. I used to live in a place called Randburg when I was younger, and a couple of AAD's spells actually got me into the game of cricket in the first place.. So I've been a keen lover of SA cricket for a good 7 years now.. Not too long until I go back for the first time in ages as well..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
Because they were still sailing along overall?

Which had nothing to do with England attacking?

The light was poor, end of story. By continuing to whinge you are just showing sour grapes.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
If that was aimed at me, then as I said a while ago, if there was that agreement, then fair enough. I didn't know the captains had agreed that.
Yes but even after you found out, you still continued to whinge about it.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Peanutbutterbar said:
So in their current series, you're going for England?
No.. I like to see English cricket doing as well as it is, but I don't pick and chose to support them whenever it suits me..

SA all the way.. If Jonty, AD and SP hadn't stole my heart all those years ago, I'd probably be sat watching Tennis or Football

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Yes but even after you found out, you still continued to whinge about it.
No, I continued to say that IMO the light was good enough to play cricket in, but there is no question the floodlights had taken over, so fair enough.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It looks like I've arrived half-way thru a discussion, but I feel the need to trot out an old cliché: what a great advertisement for test cricket!

Gutted we didn't win, but great effort from Pollock & de Villiers to save the game.

Roll on Cape Town!

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BoyBrumby said:
It looks like I've arrived half-way thru a discussion, but I feel the need to trot out an old cliché: what a great advertisement for test cricket!

Gutted we didn't win, but great effort from Pollock & de Villiers to save the game.

Roll on Cape Town!
It would have been a great advertisement for cricket until it was effectively ended by bad light. The decision was of course technically correct but it won't stop the sport itself getting slaughtered tomorrow in the papers.