• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Well as a fan it's a tragedy to see it come to this. But more than anything there's an overwhelming sense of disappointment for the English team. After the first innings debarcle they absolutely played their hearts out just to get back into the match, let alone try to win it. It's such a shame to see a once-in-a-God-knows-how-long victory taken away by the dodgy South African weather.

Good effort, fellas.. Two big thumbs up from me.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Yep, so why are you saying England deserved to win??
Because SA were more dire int he 2nd Innings than we were in the 1st. Both teams had their highs and lows int he match, but overall I think England shaded it, and would have won but for the light.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:
Yep, so why are you saying England deserved to win??
Because they would have beaten SA tonight if they'd carried on, because England declared with 3 wickets left and that was after Giles had a swing at one and Jones holed out.

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Not too bad, the umpiring.. But the most crucial wicket of the innings (Rudolph) was definitely not out.. Still the umpire only gets to see it once..
well yeah..but when i first saw it I thought it was out...and from the umps view it would have most certainly looked out.Unlucky,but I have seen bigger howlers than that one..at least the ump could have justified his decision

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Not too bad, the umpiring.. But the most crucial wicket of the innings (Rudolph) was definitely not out.. Still the umpire only gets to see it once..
Rudolph wasn't out, neither was Vaughan when it hit his armguard.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
What do you mean by that?
He means how can you say the light is fit to continue from your armchair in Essex?

On the umpiring, there can be no blame attached to the umpire IMO from the Rudolph decision, yes it was the wrong decision but it certainly looked like it came off the glove, There were also some LBW's off Gilo that were hitting halfway up the middle but were not given by Hair

Tom Halsey

International Coach
superkingdave said:
He means how can you say the light is fit to continue from your armchair in Essex?
Because a) It didn't look very bad at the time, and b) How can it be if Ntini had smashed 16 off Harmy? He must be seeing it OK.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
but as far as I'm concerned the light was fine.
Try looking at it from a fair play sense. It was far from fine, since the artificial lights were dominating, and that's against the pre-series agreement.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
superkingdave said:
On the umpiring, there can be no blame attached to the umpire IMO from the Rudolph decision, yes it was the wrong decision but it certainly looked like it came off the glove, There were also some LBW's off Gilo that were hitting halfway up the middle but were not given by Hair
In fairness there were also some LBW's that looked plumb to me from the SA bowlers so that evens it up there.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Try looking at it from a fair play sense. It was far from fine, since the artificial lights were dominating, and that's against the pre-series agreement.
Exactly right. It's a massive disappointment, but no one can be blamed for doing anything wrong.

Swervy

International Captain
Tom Halsey said:
Because a) It didn't look very bad at the time, and b) How can it be if Ntini had smashed 16 off Harmy? He must be seeing it OK.
a) TV enhances the light..you could see how dark it was by when the camera panned onto the stand, the lights in there were very bright..normally a sure sign its dark

b) Only one of those 4 was a real legit shot..ok maybe 2. I once hit 24 in an over when it was going dark.. coz I hit those runs didnt mean it wasnt that dark

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
It was far from fine, since the artificial lights were dominating, and that's against the pre-series agreement.
Yes, if that was an agreement, then fair enough. I bet Vaughan wishes he hadn't agreed that now. :p

But was I was getting at originally before I heard that was the SA batsmen didn';t appear to be at a disadvantage.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How is it not a disadvantage when the light is poor, the opposition have a New Ball and there's tail-enders in?

Regardless of what happened in that last over, the light wasn't good enough.