• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Fair enough, but SA havent had the luck with the umpiring.. England havent had the luck with the weather.. Evens it up

Off we go to Cape Town then..
ooooh..controversial bringing up umpiring, I thought the umpires had a good game...England in general have outplayed SA...and deserved a win....but weather does come into it,and so England cant really complain too much, its just one of those things.
The top and bottom of it is England are in fact a superior team to SA,and by quite some distance in my book. I think England can ALMOST wrap this series up next test.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Nobody was moaning when in the same light 2 days ago, Strauss and Butcher walked off.
Nobody was, but IMO it was good enough to continue. It probablyt isn't now, because another half hour has passed since they first went off, but it was good enough at the time. If a talender can hit Harmo for 16, it can't be bad.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Tom Halsey said:
I can guarantee that you wouldn't say that if the Pollock run-out cost you the match.
I can guarentee you wouldn't be moaning about the light if England were out there trying to save the game

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
benchmark00 said:
I dont understand that?? can you explain?
"I dread to think how badly this team would perform when they're in form at home against Australia."

It's basically saying this England team has come into this series against SA in SA with very little form over the past 2 months and yet they're still winning 1-0 and could well have been 2-0. When they play Australia they'll have home advantage and they'll be in a much better form and saying tosh like 'If you cant beat south africa in less than 5 days i shudder to think whats going to happen in the ashes' based on not quite winning their 9th straight Test is ridiculous.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Amla didnt perform again. Will he keep his place? If not thats another Quota number thats got to be filled. Might see De Villiers playing as a batter only. And Amla dropped for the Keeper.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Apart from it being too bad to continue?

Nobody was moaning when in the same light 2 days ago, Strauss and Butcher walked off.
thats the best sense ive ever heard you say :D

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
On that basis, England didn't deserve to win.
The comeback alone showed the fighting spirit in the team, and on the basis of the comeback and the batting and bowling I think they did.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Swervy said:
ooooh..controversial bringing up umpiring, I thought the umpires had a good game...England in general have outplayed SA...and deserved a win....but weather does come into it,and so England cant really complain too much, its just one of those things.
The top and bottom of it is England are in fact a superior team to SA,and by quite some distance in my book. I think England can ALMOST wrap this series up next test.
Not too bad, the umpiring.. But the most crucial wicket of the innings (Rudolph) was definitely not out.. Still the umpire only gets to see it once..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
Nobody was, but IMO it was good enough to continue. It probablyt isn't now, because another half hour has passed since they first went off, but it was good enough at the time. If a talender can hit Harmo for 16, it can't be bad.

Really Tom, give it up.

The umpires applied the rules consistently and fairly - England weren't able to pick up the 9 wickets they needed, so a draw is the result.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Tom Halsey said:
The comeback alone showed the fighting spirit in the team, and on the basis of the comeback and the batting and bowling I think they did.
They shouldn't have been in such a dire position to need a come back in the first place..

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
I can guarentee you wouldn't be moaning about the light if England were out there trying to save the game
I most certainly wouldn't, but as I keep saying, at the time they came off, I think it was good enough.

Swervy

International Captain
benchmark00 said:
lol good to see you missed mine... im trying to say that dont get too ****y, from what ive seen the poms are a fair distant behind the aussies at the moment
As an Australian, I really wouldnt want to say the gap is so big..sure England arent quite up there,but the Ashes are going to be one very close series, the closest match up between the two teams since 1981 I would say.

I would in fact say that the 1-1 Aust vs India scoreline last year would be a bigger shock than England pipping a win next (english) summer...so anything can happen

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Really Tom, give it up.

The umpires applied the rules consistently and fairly - England weren't able to pick up the 9 wickets they needed, so a draw is the result.
Yes, I can understand the consistancy side of things it evens it up, and yes England weren't at their best and should have got the wickets in time and can be blamed there, but as far as I'm concerned the light was fine.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:
They shouldn't have been in such a dire position to need a come back in the first place..
England's Christmas hangover will only happen once a year tho. If England ever bat properly in the 1st innings you're really gonna be in trouble.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scaly piscine said:
"I dread to think how badly this team would perform when they're in form at home against Australia."

It's basically saying this England team has come into this series against SA in SA with very little form over the past 2 months and yet they're still winning 1-0 and could well have been 2-0. When they play Australia they'll have home advantage and they'll be in a much better form and saying tosh like 'If you cant beat south africa in less than 5 days i shudder to think whats going to happen in the ashes' based on not quite winning their 9th straight Test is ridiculous.
lol how do you know they will be in better form? just donyt listen too much to your bias commentators is all im saying, i hope its a very good ashes series... but at the moment i have my doubts....

south africas bowling attack rivals the under 12's team from my town... dodgy pitch or not, you shouldnt make less than 200 runs against them...

lets just hope its just 'bad form'...

Swervy

International Captain
SpaceMonkey said:
Amla didnt perform again. Will he keep his place? If not thats another Quota number thats got to be filled. Might see De Villiers playing as a batter only. And Amla dropped for the Keeper.
well that Amla guy straight from the first ball I saw him face,I could see he isnt of international standard. His technique is shocking.Today (admittedly in my own mind,as i was watching by myself) I predicted he would go LBW within 6 balls..it took 2.