• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

tooextracool

International Coach
SJS said:
I dont think it was a consensus but there were some (including yourself) who fely Gough should go and others who felt that his entire career should not be foresaken for two bad games.
except it was more than 2 bad games, like it or not gough was mediocre for most of last year. no one expected him to show any improvement(richard was arguing the fact that he wasnt mediocre anyways) at his age, and really has improved in terms of fitness it doesnt change the fact that he didnt bowl phenomenally well last year.

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
I never claimed he was still an excellent ODI bowler, but the sudden attack on him after England lost the Champions Trophy final was unjust and extremely silly. Firstly, it seems he's the only bowler in the England side that can bowl at the death..
yes because the other 2 options are hoggard and ali, clearly in the summer, with harmison and flintoff bowling as well as they can, it was a different story.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I reckon another 5-6 overs of Vaughan pottering about and the required run-rate will be up to 8 as predicted earlier.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tooextracool said:
yes because the other 2 options are hoggard and ali, clearly in the summer, with harmison and flintoff bowling as well as they can, it was a different story.
No, its still not. That's still 3 bowlers.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
I reckon another 5-6 overs of Vaughan pottering about and the required run-rate will be up to 8 as predicted earlier.
Let's just hope the footie is a bit more enterprising!!!

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
No, its still not. That's still 3 bowlers.
point being? in the summer harmison and flintoff time and again came up with fabulous performances, and made gough's performances look mediorce. of course now that we have hoggard(what the hell is he doing in the side ITFP) and ali who are bowling poorly, it makes him look good. no disrespect, hes bowled really well, but he wasnt anywhere near the standard of harmison and flintoff. and IMO id pick jones in the side ahead of hoggard or ali ATM.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
Good test match this isn't it? - Last sarcastic comment.
It wouldn't be a problem if it were a test match as Vaughan usually tries to smash every ball through the covers in them!

Scaly piscine

Just unbelievable, they milk away taking very little risks and pushing the run-rate well over 8 an over, then they go for a run like that. Utter stupidity.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
We're only 4 behind what SA were at the same overs gone. So England have done this well i think. Obviously Kemp absolutly went mad and we bowled crap for the next 12 or so overs, which you cant see SA doing.

Scaly piscine

I think it'll come down to how well England cope against Nel who will probably be the hardest to get away, another beamer gets away with not being called a no-ball.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
SA scored 111 off the last 10 overs. England just need 98 off the last 10 overs. Same amount of wickets lost at this time too. So we've done well so far. Just hope SA dont bowl that well in the last 10.