• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England may as well push Pietersen up the order so he can at least pick his deliveries to smash for 6 instead of trying to hit every ball he faces out of the park after Vaughan single-handedly pushes the required run-rate up to 8 an over.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
England may as well push Pietersen up the order so he can at least pick his deliveries to smash for 6 instead of trying to hit every ball he faces out of the park after Vaughan single-handedly pushes the required run-rate up to 8 an over.
Well said, Vaughan's new position at 9 should suit him fine.

Scaly piscine

Jono said:
Who were those English fans calling for Gough's head after the Champions Trophy? Nevermind I think I remember their names. :happy:

Funny, I'd be thankful he hasn't retired considering the back-up bowlers.
The consensus was that him, Wharf and Giles were too much and one of them needed to make way for a wicket-taking bowler. Now it's even worse as England have basically zero wicket-taking bowlers with Hoggard not having any conditions to help him which he obviously needs at his pace.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
twctopcat said:
Where are they?? I want to read, i think i was on hols at the time!
Here

Have fun :) I know I will whilst browsing through some of them. I remember this topic very well. For once Richard was proven 100% correct.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
chris.hinton said:
Smith is a plonker
Yep, two 100s in one series including an innings where he carried his bat for 50 overs. Real plonker. :)
Langeveldt said:
Smiths been going down in my book for quite a while now.. Not that he has been helped by SA's backroom staff at all
Hopefully 'your book' has changed now. I hope you've learnt to have a bit more faith in your captain. ;)

Scaly piscine

Jono said:
Here

Have fun :) I know I will whilst browsing through some of them. I remember this topic very well. For once Richard was proven 100% correct.
I doubt it, he's still has many mediocre series as he's had good. His figures are reasonable for this series but nothing exceptional (as ever he gets his wickets at the death to make his average look better, his ER is the same as Collingwood for instance). It's almost inevitable he'd 'shine' to some degree when you've got people bowling complete tripe at the other end, they can simple sit back when Gough comes on.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
I doubt it, he's still has many mediocre series as he's had good. His figures are reasonable for this series but nothing exceptional (as ever he gets his wickets at the death to make his average look better, his ER is the same as Collingwood for instance). It's almost inevitable he'd 'shine' to some degree when you've got people bowling complete tripe at the other end, they can simple sit back when Gough comes on.
Come on, do you honestly think that it is just a coincidence?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Good knock from Smith; still think he's a double-talking tool tho!

That's our goose well & truly cooked. Superb display of clean hitting from Kemp. Enormously strong bloke. Admittedly Messers Ali & Hoggard served him up length balls rather obligingly, but credit where it's due.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
The consensus was that him, Wharf and Giles were too much and one of them needed to make way for a wicket-taking bowler. Now it's even worse as England have basically zero wicket-taking bowlers with Hoggard not having any conditions to help him which he obviously needs at his pace.
I dont think it was a consensus but there were some (including yourself) who fely Gough should go and others who felt that his entire career should not be foresaken for two bad games.

But I agree with you that Gough has his best performances behind him and it would be sad to see this great performer being mauled as he could be if he continued. The million dollar question is, who does England have ?

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Scaly piscine said:
I never claimed he was still an excellent ODI bowler, but the sudden attack on him after England lost the Champions Trophy final was unjust and extremely silly. Firstly, it seems he's the only bowler in the England side that can bowl at the death. Secondly, if all you have is worse bowlers on the sidelines (much worse), why would you drop a player (especially one that has given so much to England like Gough has) because he's 34 (or is it 35?). It's ridiculous.

As an Indian fan I'd love to be able to drop Zaheer Kahn and select a world class ODI fast bowler. But I know there aren't any in the reserves right now, so he's obviously the best choice. The same goes for most teams, bar Australia. So why complain? Especially when he's not bowling utter garbage like the 'future of England cricket' who are meant to be the saviours for England by the World Cup.

Scaly piscine

SJS said:
I dont think it was a consensus but there were some (including yourself) who fely Gough should go and others who felt that his entire career should not be foresaken for two bad games.
There was that consensus in the CT thread (the one about there being not enough wicket-takers), that thread was more about Gough specifically.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
There was that consensus in the CT thread (the one about there being not enough wicket-takers), that thread was more about Gough specifically.
I had already added to my post (edited). Please read that too :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If certain parties were quick to kill Gough off after a couple of dodgy performances (myself not amongst them!); perhaps certain other parties should perhaps refrain from hailing him as Lazarus based on this one performance! :D

It was a fair at-the-death performance; it merely looks good by comparison to the tripe served up at the other end.

Scaly piscine

Jono said:
I never claimed he was still an excellent ODI bowler, but the sudden attack on him after England lost the Champions Trophy final was unjust and extremely silly. Firstly, it seems he's the only bowler in the England side that can bowl at the death. Secondly, if all you have is worse bowlers on the sidelines (much worse), why would you drop a player (especially one that has given so much to England like Gough has) because he's 34 (or is it 35?). It's ridiculous.

As an Indian fan I'd love to be able to drop Zaheer Kahn and select a world class ODI fast bowler. But I know there aren't any in the reserves right now, so he's obviously the best choice. The same goes for most teams, bar Australia. So why complain? Especially when he's not bowling utter garbage like the 'future of England cricket' who are meant to be the saviours for England by the World Cup.
Well I'd have liked to have seen Simon Jones in the ODI side personally, strong bloke, good outfielder, bowled a good straight line in the Tests which could have converted successfully into ODIs. Also Hoggard might have come off if he hadn't have been completely knackered and bowled right through early on (bowling him at the death is just dumb), Anderson on form would easily get in the side but as everyone knows he's been 'out of form' for quite a while now.