• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
If certain parties were quick to kill Gough off after a couple of dodgy performances (myself not amongst them!); perhaps certain other parties should perhaps refrain from hailing him as Lazarus based on this one performance! :D

It was a fair at-the-death performance; it merely looks good by comparison to the tripe served up at the other end.
Absolutely. Thats just it. No more, no less.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
BoyBrumby said:
If certain parties were quick to kill Gough off after a couple of dodgy performances (myself not amongst them!); perhaps certain other parties should perhaps refrain from hailing him as Lazarus based on this one performance! :D

It was a fair at-the-death performance; it merely looks good by comparison to the tripe served up at the other end.
I think you'll find not one person (including me) has even said or even suggested he's a great ODI bowler in this thread. Not one. :)

It was just fun seeing people eat their words considering these great 2007 WC bowlers show their stuff.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jono said:
I think you'll find not one person (including me) has even said or even suggested he's a great ODI bowler in this thread. Not one. :)

It was just fun seeing people eat their words considering these great 2007 WC bowlers show their stuff.
We'll let you off if you don't ever use "100% right" and "Richard" in the same sentence again.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jono said:

No; nor was I implying anyone was. You (by your own admission) were indulging in a bit of told-you-soing tho! My point is that if he was finished then one half-decent performance doesn't mean he's back. Necessarily.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I agree. I don't think he's back, nor will I think that if he gets 5/15 in the next game. I doubt (though you never say never) he'll ever be back to what he was in his prime. But he should still be playing in the ODI team at the moment, whether he will make it to the 2007 World Cup or not.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jono said:
I agree. I don't think he's back, nor will I think that if he gets 5/15 in the next game. I doubt (though you never say never) he'll ever be back to what he was in his prime. But he should still be playing in the ODI team at the moment, whether he will make it to the 2007 World Cup or not.
No argument from me on that point.

There's altogether too much baby-bathwater thinking in our ODI selection.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
No argument from me on that point.

There's altogether too much baby-bathwater thinking in our ODI selection.
Sorry to break your heart BB but I think England are going to lose this game and this series.

The momentum has clearly shifted and I dont see England coming back strongly enough. I am glad to see a resurgent S Africa though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ouch. I was hoping for Tresco to score some runs to make this a battle (granted it is far from over) but with it being so damn late here in Australia, and myself having to catch a flight tomorrow, I don't know how much longer I can stay up. :(

DocHead

School Boy/Girl Captain
Jono said:

Okay then, I'll say it, Darren Gough is an absolute wizard at bowling in the death overs, and he's a great ODI bowler, certainly one of the best ODI bowlers England have ever had. Look at his stats for God's sake, they're awesome. His economy rate's slightly higher because a third of his overs have been bowled in happy hour, Paul Collingwood bowls in the middle overs and still has a high ER.

You could argue that stats don't always tell the full story, but over a career as long as he's had, they certainly tell most of the story.

Dazzler's an absolute star.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
DocHead said:
Okay then, I'll say it, Darren Gough is an absolute wizard at bowling in the death overs, and he's a great ODI bowler, certainly one of the best ODI bowlers England have ever had. Look at his stats for God's sake, they're awesome. His economy rate's slightly higher because a third of his overs have been bowled in happy hour, Paul Collingwood bowls in the middle overs and still has a high ER.

You could argue that stats don't always tell the full story, but over a career as long as he's had, they certainly tell most of the story.

:p

Plus he has an absolutely beautiful bowling action. I love it.
SJS said:
I am glad to see a resurgent S Africa though.
Me too. I can't get the smile off my face. The majority of my cricket watching occurred in the 1990s, and after seeing SA be such a great ODI team in those years, its good to see them playing some top notch cricket.

kof98

U19 12th Man
England need to go over the top in the first 15 and score at least run a ball:
1. slow outfield
2. short boundaries

twctopcat

International Regular
DocHead said:

Can i feel a DGAS coming on??I'm a member that's for sure.

DocHead

School Boy/Girl Captain
SJS said:
Yes, but the dazzle is on the wane and the twinkle is intermittent. :p
Maybe, but he's also yer best ODI bowler right now, and the distance to #2 can be measured in parsecs.

DG rocks, it'll be a sad day when he finally has to hang it up.

twctopcat

International Regular
Is that the run rate i see, creeping upwards, ever upwards, like a celestial being towards the heavens????