• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Langeveldt

Soutie
twctopcat said:
He didn't agree with the system and left. Just because he has an opinion on the matter doesn't make him a bad person. I fear your bitterness and patriotism is clouding your judgement.
But why wait till he left the country to have a say? Someone with a stronger character might have voiced his opinion while it was still some use, and even raised their game to make their selection a certainty..

Bearing in mind at the time he left, he was a mediocre off spinner at KZN, who was being thoroughly out performed by a coloured quota player called Goolam Bodi.. No bitterness there hey?

Im sure some of you will change your tune should he p*ss the England setup off

BoyBrumby

Englishman
twctopcat said:
He didn't agree with the system and left. Just because he has an opinion on the matter doesn't make him a bad person. I fear your bitterness and patriotism is clouding your judgement.
I think we can probably all see the shortcomings of the "quota" system, however laudable its intentions are.

I do think Pietersen may have been better advised to keep his council on the subject, but after all it was impacting on his livelihood.

To draw a crass analogy Pietersen has left SA for broadly the same reasons as D'Oliveira did: to play test cricket.

Langeveldt

Soutie
BoyBrumby said:
I think we can probably all see the shortcomings of the "quota" system, however laudable its intentions are.

I do think Pietersen may have been better advised to keep his council on the subject, but after all it was impacting on his livelihood.

To draw a crass analogy Pietersen has left SA for broadly the same reasons as D'Oliveira did: to play test cricket.
Guess I should get a Bangladeshi passport then :)

twctopcat

International Regular
Langeveldt said:
But why wait till he left the country to have a say? Someone with a stronger character might have voiced his opinion while it was still some use, and even raised their game to make their selection a certainty..

Bearing in mind at the time he left, he was a mediocre off spinner at KZN, who was being thoroughly out performed by a coloured quota player called Goolam Bodi.. No bitterness there hey?

Im sure some of you will change your tune should he p*ss the England setup off
Even if he had that opinion in SA, he was an 18yr old nobody in SA, so i imagine he thought his opinion would have meant very little. In England he saw a system that would nurture him and reward him for hard work. This hard work has obvioulsy payed off. Or is it coincidence that in the 5 years since he left he has turned from mediocre offie to a 50+ batsmen?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1. AB and Smith are different players in different circumstances.
2. Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it? If only he had consulted his crystal ball back then, maybe we could fault him now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Langeveldt said:
Well the system did Graeme Smith and AB De Villiers no harm did it?
To play devil's advocate: maybe if they'd had UK passports or (in Smith's case, I think we can rule De Villiers out as he's only 20 now) the Kolpak precedent had been established a few years before....

Langeveldt

Soutie
BoyBrumby said:
To play devil's advocate: maybe if they'd had UK passports or (in Smith's case, I think we can rule De Villiers out as he's only 20 now) the Kolpak precedent had been established a few years before....
Somehow I can't see Graeme Smith in the England colours :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
BoyBrumby said:
No, light blue isn't very slimming, is it?! ;)
As your entire argument has been crushed by practically one person, I see the England fans have resorted to petty, personal sniping.. I'd have expected better Boy Brumby :p

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
As your entire argument has been crushed by practically one person, I see the England fans have resorted to petty, personal sniping.. I'd have expected better Boy Brumby :p
The amusing part is that you think you're Graeme Smith comment crushed the argument. :p It barely has any relevance to the argument.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The amusing part is that you think you're Graeme Smith comment crushed the argument. :p It barely has any relevance to the argument.
The even more amusing part is that you have missed the fact that I was totally joking :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Langeveldt said:
My antipathy towards Fat Gray (there I go again...) may make me occasionaly descend to childish jokes about his weight problem, but it doesn't alter the fact that Pietersen had an opportunity that Smith didn't.

If you're asking do I think he'd have played for England, then my honest answer is no. However I would've said the same thing about Johann Louw a year ago & he's declared himself available for The Mother Country now.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
The even more amusing part is that you have missed the fact that I was totally joking :p
And the amusement continues because...er...um.... well yeh. So ha! :huh:

Amusement all 'round. :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
SpaceMonkey said:
It's not doing any harm to the England team atm either :D long may it continue! :p
Yeah well, as it usually keeps a promising English youngster from playing, long may it continue! If your taking that attitude..
Give it ten years and we will see where England are, without any cricket exposure on free to air, so a Kolpak crazed county system can get their money's worth and all the half rate foreigners can come and have a game of bat and ball with each other...