• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Langeveldt

Soutie
BoyBrumby said:
As his dad's an Afrikaaner I imagine he's fluent! ;)
Im glad.. Im still bemused as to the "some of them could hardly speak English" comment.. He's South African, I bet he can't speak Xhosa, so why criticise?.. Imagine going to India and saying they could hardly speak English...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why exactly would anyone expect Pietersen not to bad mouth the locals after all the abuse they gave him? And lets face it, the SA team and their trimmings are hardly an overly pleasant bunch, you've got Smith - I think everyone knows what he's like. Then there's Gibbs and that refusing to go to India episode, then there's Nel, Kallis even Jennings. They make Pietersen look like a saint.

Langeveldt

Soutie
twctopcat said:
He's becoming one of those "love to hate" characters though i don't see what the hell he's done so wrong. And of course we all know how much of a better person nel is don't we.....
He's annoyed a lot of SA cricket fans, by leaving (fair enough) and then bad mouthing us from the safety of another country.. Im sure a lot of England fans would be up in arms if Freddie went to Australia and ridiculed English cricket?
Nel, he's just a stroppy bowler who isnt the most intelligent, not a calculating guy who seeks to get at people off the cricket field

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Langeveldt said:
Im glad.. Im still bemused as to the "some of them could hardly speak English" comment.. He's South African, I bet he can't speak Xhosa, so why criticise?.. Imagine going to India and saying they could hardly speak English...
Fair point, but as I said earlier in the thread he's actually quite dry; I'm inclined to think he may've been indulging in a spot of the old mental disintegration before the fact.

Or, as we Poms like to call it by its more friendly name, taking the p*ss! :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scaly piscine said:
Why exactly would anyone expect Pietersen not to bad mouth the locals after all the abuse they gave him? And lets face it, the SA team and their trimmings are hardly an overly pleasant bunch, you've got Smith - I think everyone knows what he's like. Then there's Gibbs and that refusing to go to India episode, then there's Nel, Kallis even Jennings. They make Pietersen look like a saint.
Why does he think they are giving him the abuse? There would hardly have been a problem had he left quietly.. No point in crying over something he created.. If he had any character he would have bitten the bullet and got on with it.. But oh no!

I don't see how Kallis and Gibbs are particularly unpleasant people?

Scaly piscine

Langeveldt said:
Why does he think they are giving him the abuse? There would hardly have been a problem had he left quietly.. No point in crying over something he created.. If he had any character he would have bitten the bullet and got on with it.. But oh no!

Kallis who basically plays for himself and basically threw out his dummy in the last Test defending every other ball after he got his hundred.

twctopcat

International Regular
Langeveldt said:
He's annoyed a lot of SA cricket fans, by leaving (fair enough) and then bad mouthing us from the safety of another country.. Im sure a lot of England fans would be up in arms if Freddie went to Australia and ridiculed English cricket?
Nel, he's just a stroppy bowler who isnt the most intelligent, not a calculating guy who seeks to get at people off the cricket field
The safety of another country?? What would they do, imprison him in SA for slagging them off?? As for the freddie situation that is kind of obvious and a pretty irrelevant point to make. And i don't think Pietersen is some cool, calculated person trying to manipulate people, he is just speaking his mind which is fair enough.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Langeveldt said:
Kallis I grant you isn't overly objectionable (lack of wit & selfishness notwithstanding! ;) ); but Gibbs (just off the top of my head) has been banned for 10 months for match fixing, caught smoking gear on a beach in the Caribbean & recently fined 2500 rand for being caught in a nightclub on the p*ss after curfew!

Langeveldt

Soutie
BoyBrumby said:
Kallis I grant you isn't overly objectionable (lack of wit & selfishness notwithstanding! ;) ); but Gibbs (just off the top of my head) has been banned for 10 months for match fixing, caught smoking gear on a beach in the Caribbean & recently fined 2500 rand for being caught in a nightclub on the p*ss after curfew!
Sounds like a bloke to me :)

Nah, the match fixing was inexcusible, but you can't hold being out on the p*ss and smoking the green against him!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Langeveldt said:
Sounds like a bloke to me :)

Nah, the match fixing was inexcusible, but you can't hold being out on the p*ss and smoking the green against him!
When Sir Winston Spencer Churchill stood alone in all the world against The Axis powers did he drink beer & smoke marijuana?!

Not a bit of it: he was a Charlie & Brandy man, old Winnie!! :D

Scaly piscine

Clive Lloyd: I have respect for the England captain and I expected the same from him ... If he doesn't respect me he should at least respect the position [of match referee] ... But he made matters worse for himself with his dismissive and rude attitude ... I would have given him a lesser fine if it were not for that, but I stopped short of banning him for the last Test.

I don't see how it's his place to accuse Michael Vaughan of being "rude and dismissive" to the media. I find it amusing that he has done worse than what he fined Vaughan his full match fee for - when can we expect Clive Lloyd to be put before a Match referee's referee and fined his full match fee?