• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Why the bloomin' flip don't Sky show warm-up games? They have 4 dedicated sports channels (5 if you count Sky Sports News), surely space could be found?! :@

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BoyBrumby said:
Why the bloomin' flip don't Sky show warm-up games? They have 4 dedicated sports channels (5 if you count Sky Sports News), surely space could be found?! :@
Well Sky keeps getting worse as far as I'm concerned, my sister got a threatening letter from them about how Sky wasn't connected to the phone line (it is connected and has been throughout) - this is after one of their engineers installed it AND one of their engineers was round the next day to sort out why Gamestar would disconnect repeatedly (it also crashed whenever I got over 100,000 on the Scrabble) and confirmed the connection was fine.

Anyway I'm glad Bell has gotten a half-century.

Edit: cricinfo has him back down to 46 now, but I hope he goes on anyway

Last edited:

twctopcat

International Regular
Kevin's gone beserk! :D

EDIT: d'oh he's out, obviously going for the ton. At least at it isn't a proper one day match.

Last edited:

twctopcat

International Regular
BoyBrumby said:
Ar$eholes! I just flicked over to cricinfo to see how he was doing & he's gone for 97 (off 84 balls!).

Good stuff tho.
I tempted fate and he got out. Note to self, don't do that again when an englishman is in!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
twctopcat said:
Kevin's gone beserk! :D

EDIT: d'oh he's out, obviously going for the ton. At least at it isn't a proper one day match.
To be honest I'd rather he did that in a full game then try to push his way to a ton.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Right Warm up over, bowling, not so great, batting better. My pick for the first ODI

Tresco
Bell
Vaughan
Strauss
Peitersen
Collie
Jones
Gilo
Ali/Hoggie
Harmi
Gough

Bell over Solanki, for me and for most other people i know its a no brainer, even though Bell aint really an opener, i'd rather him than Vikram. Thats the only one in the batting that looks a debate.

In the bowling, ill go for Kabir Ali to start, he bowled ok today after a poor start, i might pick Hoggie if the conditions were severe but atm i wouldnt let Anderson near the pitch. TBH i'd send him home now, we have enough cover with Hoggie, Harmi, Gough, Ali, Wharf and Jones for 3 positions. Used to be one of Anderson's biggest fans and i still think he has the talent but he is out of his depth atm and needs to go back to Lancs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Harmison is out of the first 2 or 3 games, I'd stick Jones in there.

I'd also go with Hoggy - he's on such a roll at the moment.

If this side can win this series without the best ODI player in the World, it'll be a great effort!

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Let's be fair tho, SA are pretty poor in ODIs and England *should* win. I expect England will do an Australia and change the bowlers in the team frequently, I couldn't hazard much of a guess at what bowlers they'll pick, but I hope Simon Jones & Hoggard get a few games, England need more players who can genuinely bowl people out anyway but this is even more the case without Flintoff and Harmison (for the first few games).