• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well they had an even better (I imagine, too much like hard work looking up series results on cricinfo) Test record at home, but they certainly weren't anything brilliant against England. I'm more concerned about the day/night games that could well come down to who wins the toss than I am about SA's one-day record.

Marius

International Debutant
I'm going to be at the Wanderers on Sunday, I can't wait. I don't know how much I am going to see however, because it is the second-leg of a weekend bender starting at 12:00 tomorrow.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
Right Warm up over, bowling, not so great, batting better. My pick for the first ODI

Tresco
Bell
Vaughan
Strauss
Peitersen
Collie
Jones
Gilo
Ali/Hoggie
Harmi
Gough
I'd go with Hoaggard too, especially as the first game is where he took his 7for the other day, which only leaves Kabir vs Jones for the final slot. Kabir might get more out of conditions at the Wanderers if they're like last week, but I'd like to see Jones given a go at some point. I think the rest of your side is spot on.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Good to see Kabir Ali, Kevin Pitersen and Ian bell doing well in that Warm Up game... Solanki did not so he might find himself out of the team

Marc i am never bias

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chris.hinton said:
Good to see Kabir Ali, Kevin Pitersen and Ian bell doing well in that Warm Up game... Solanki did not so he might find himself out of the team

Marc i am never bias
And I'm not Ginger, either.

Marius

International Debutant
http://rsa.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat.../2005/JAN/170295_RSAENG2004-05_28JAN2005.html

Pietersen says abuse is 'water off a duck's back'

Cricinfo staff

January 28, 2005
Kevin Pietersen has said that he fully expects to be verbally abused throughout the one-day series in South Africa, but that the prospect doesn't bother him at all.
Pietersen, who was born in Pietermaritzburg in 1980, but moved to England to further his cricket career, smacked 97 in England's six-wicket win over South Africa A at Kimberley to get his tour off to a flying start.
"I knew I was going to cop a lot of stick but it will be like water off a duck's back," Pietersen told reporters ahead of Sunday's opening one-dayer. "I expected stick at the start of the innings, and I'm sure it will carry on through the whole series. But I just sat back and laughed at the opposition, with their swearing and 'traitor' remarks ... some of them can hardly speak English."
Those comments were hardly aimed at calming local hostility, and he went on to explain that he was becoming more English all the time. "I've been in England for four years and I've copped it for being South African - but my affiliation is definitely with England. In fact, I'm starting to speak too much like Darren Gough."
Although his move to England might not have gone down well in South African cricket circles, Pietersen said that his family supported his decision. "My family are thrilled to bits and back me 100%," he explained. "They back me and they back England. My mum, being English, has always supported England and I view myself as English.
"In fact, on the last day of this tour I'm going to get one of Gough's tattoos with three lions and my number underneath it. That's not a Christmas present - it's with you for the rest of your life, so no-one can take it away from me and say I'm not English."

© Cricinfo

:@ :@ :@
"Some of them could hardly speak English". So what? Does that make them stupid? So Pietersen is a racist, as well as a traitor. I really don't mind too much when a guy leaves SA to play for another country, but when they have this kind of disgusting attitude, and badmouth the country, it gets my goat. We don't want guys like you playing for South Africa. "I've always considered myself English" What rubbish. I think I hate Pietersen more than I hate Clyde Rathbone now. Because I hate him so much he's probably going to score bucketloads of runs against us. If you hear about a crazed spectator that tried to kill Kevin Pietersen on Sunday at the Wanderers, it will probably have been me. :@ :@ :@

EDIT - Language

Last edited by a moderator:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
LMAO @ some of his comments. He seems like a real jackass.

"I'm as English as they come. Watch me... I'll go get a tatoo and prove it to you."

Seems like a decent player though, haven't seen much of him mind you.

Last edited:

twctopcat

International Regular
I think he meant every other word was f **k or c **t etc etc. I don't see how the comments were racist or anything, apparently nel speaks sod all english on the pitch, does that make me racist?? Stop being so bitter that he is playing for england and sa that's what i say.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
An olive-branch Pietersen style! :D

In his defence, I have to say that when I've actually heard him speak on telly he does have quite a dry sense of humour which is possibly hard to detect when just reading the words. I would certainly never accuse him of being self-deprecating tho!

A couple of decent ODI scores & he'll be promoted from "Pietersen" to "Our Kev"! :D

twctopcat

International Regular
I think him merely being there winds them up enough!! I'm not worried in the slightest about how he will cope, he will let his bat do the talking. :D

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SpaceMonkey said:
Its not racist. He's just trying to wind up the SA players and supporters. Which i think he has quite brilliently :) :p
Yep, just when you thought gob****e Smith had gotten some small remnant of composure back...

Swervy

International Captain
Marius said:
http://rsa.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat.../2005/JAN/170295_RSAENG2004-05_28JAN2005.html

"Some of them could hardly speak English". So what? Does that make them stupid? So Pietersen is a racist, as well as a traitor. I really don't mind too much when a guy leaves SA to play for another country, but when they have this kind of disgusting attitude, and badmouth the country, it gets my goat. We don't want guys like you playing for South Africa. "I've always considered myself English" What rubbish. I think I hate Pietersen more than I hate Clyde Rathbone now. Because I hate him so much he's probably going to score bucketloads of runs against us. If you hear about a crazed spectator that tried to kill Kevin Pietersen on Sunday at the Wanderers, it will probably have been me. :@ :@ :@

EDIT - Language
and so how is that racist again...I keep reading it, and I just dont see it i am afraid.

i think you need to get over it mate

Langeveldt

Soutie
Fully agreed Marius.. He's just a bad mouthing "Sout Piel" with nothing better to do than p*ss people off.. Its not a racial thing though, its a character thing

Doubtlessly a Fine cricketer, but he's developing into a really lame excuse for a person.. Anyone who leaves a team, and then bad mouths it from thousands of miles away, and then comes home and starts bad mouthing the locals deserves all the abuse he can get.. Its so weak thats what gets me.. I don't care if its and English, South African, Kiwi, Aussie, whoever who is doing it.. It's just a weak backstabbing attitude.. I hope Nel makes him bleed, and teaches him a few nice Afrikaans words..

"Some of them could hardly speak English" - Why should they? What a tit.. You aren't in England any more Kevin...

twctopcat

International Regular
Langeveldt said:
Fully agreed Marius.. He's just a bad mouthing "Sout Piel" with nothing better to do than p*ss people off.. Its not a racial thing though, its a character thing

Doubtlessly a Fine cricketer, but he's developing into a really lame excuse for a person.. Anyone who leaves a team, and then bad mouths it from thousands of miles away, and then comes home and starts bad mouthing the locals deserves all the abuse he can get.. Its so weak thats what gets me.. I don't care if its and English, South African, Kiwi, Aussie, whoever who is doing it.. It's just a weak backstabbing attitude.. I hope Nel makes him bleed, and teaches him a few nice Afrikaans words..

"Some of them could hardly speak English" - Why should they? What a tit.. You aren't in England any more Kevin...
He's becoming one of those "love to hate" characters though i don't see what the hell he's done so wrong. And of course we all know how much of a better person nel is don't we.....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Langeveldt said:

As his dad's an Afrikaaner I imagine he's fluent! ;)