• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Casson said:
What have you got to say about that, Pratyush? :p
I wont even start on Aleem Dar. Not mny umpires give so many on the front foot out to spinners and they have a reason.

twctopcat

International Regular
twctopcat said:
Big test of character for AB here as he gets near his maiden ton. I think he will do it, seems like has got a good mental game.
All england fans can thank me. Wrote this kiss of death post on purpose. Worked like a dream. :D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
ok..whats that reason??
Its not eay to be sure with spinners when batmen on the front foot. More often than not such doubtfl decisions are given not out.

If you are sure, it another matter.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
Its not eay to be sure with spinners when batmen on the front foot. More often than not such doubtfl decisions are given not out.

I am sure, HawkEye was sure, the commentators seemed pretty sure, the umpire was certainly sure.

If you were an umpire, you'd get a sore arse from fence-sitting! :p

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:

well given the fact that the umpire gave it out, then one can only assume the umpire was sure it was going to hit....different umpires have different styles,it has always been like that and always will be..batsmen should be bearing that in mind when playing at this level

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Casson said:
I am sure, HawkEye was sure, the commentators seemed pretty sure, the umpire was certainly sure.

If you were an umpire, you'd get a sore arse from fence-sitting! :p
How much would the ball would have deviated spinning and considering the distance it had to travel, I am not sure. A.B.Devilliers also seemed shocked and he had every right to be.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
well given the fact that the umpire gave it out, then one can only assume the umpire was sure it was going to hit....different umpires have different styles,it has always been like that and always will be..batsmen should be bearing that in mind when playing at this level
Yes which is why bowlers often chose the end they want to bowl keeping the umpires in mind too.

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
How much would the ball would have deviated spinning and considering the distance it had to travel, I am not sure. A.B.Devilliers also seemed shocked and he had every right to be.
course he was shocked..he just missed out on his first test hundred

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Yes which is why bowlers often chose the end they want to bowl keeping the umpires in mind too.
thats right..its part of the game.

I just dont agree that the habitual excuse of having the front foot forward should always be a way of justifying why someone shouldnt be happy with an LBW decision

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:
Everyone with a brain knows Giles barely turns the ball at the best of times, let alone on what is effectively the first day, then you've got the ball pitching and hitting into the pads so you can see for yourself whether it's turned or not - ball was hitting the stumps comfortably and it hit his pads in front of the stumps, pitching on the stumps or off-side. That's lbw end of story.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
thats right..its part of the game.

I just dont agree that the habitual excuse of having the front foot forward should always be a way of justifying why someone shouldnt be happy with an LBW decision
I agree that if being on the front foot is not an excuse of not giving lbw. But when some one is on the front foot, you have to be very bold and definite to give a decision out.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Scaly piscine said:
Everyone with a brain
So A.B.Devilliers didnt have a brain and neither did the commentators who said umpires usually dont such decisions out and never talked about it being out or not later either?

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
I agree that if being on the front foot is not an excuse of not giving lbw. But when some one is on the front foot, you have to be very bold and definite to give a decision out.
of course..and to be a good umpire thats what you need to be. the umpire needs to weigh up the type of bowler, how the pitch is playing etc etc when making a desicion...but it does come down to his own opinion..only he gets to see what he gets to see and at the speed at which he sees it, he has to make that decision based on the facts AS HE SEES THEM.

Obviuosly Giles isnt turning the ball that much and so the fact his front foot is down the wicket doesnt really come into play