• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Arjun said:
Harmison's bowling average has shot up to 28 in this tour of South Africa- before the tour, it was 24. Experts say that he needs a little break before the Ashes- maybe a break from the ODI series that follows. What do you think?
There's a break of 3 months or so til Bangladesh visit in May/June anyway, but I'd not be surprised if he went home after this Test as the ODI series is fairly unimportant really and perhaps not worth bowling through pain or taking injections for.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Marc71178 said:
And he was definite, and he was right.

I wonder if your moaning is more because you're about 4 days from having a lot of your earlier posts brought up to make you look wrong.
Look wrong, Marc?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Casson said:
Well I was just thinking that Smith is looking good enough to stay around for a long, long while, and then next ball he wafts at a wide one and he's on his pushbike!
The speculation about him coming in at 5 is because he wanted to get away from Hoggard and the new ball.

Clearly he has no flaws and is the best since Bradman...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arjun said:
Harmison's bowling average has shot up to 28 in this tour of South Africa- before the tour, it was 24. Experts say that he needs a little break before the Ashes- maybe a break from the ODI series that follows. What do you think?
Whatever happens, he has to play against Bangladesh to hopefully get some confidence going - he's very much a confidence bowler, and it appears that it's noticeable that his head dropped and his bowling fell apart when Trescothick dropped that catch.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Scaly piscine said:
There's a break of 3 months or so til Bangladesh visit in May/June anyway, but I'd not be surprised if he went home after this Test as the ODI series is fairly unimportant really and perhaps not worth bowling through pain or taking injections for.
Is he carrying an injury at present? He doesn't look match-fit, given how many wides and short ones he has bowled.

That said, will England's ODI chances be shot down if they don't have Harmison and Flintoff? Allan Donald suggested that Flintoff stay out of the ODI series. You now have an England ODI side without two key players, and we know how well they have performed without Flintoff and Harmison.

Scaly piscine

Yea Harmison was doing quite well in his last spell as well til he had those 2 lbw shouts turned down, 2nd one should have been given.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
All his comments about England not being able to win a game let alone the series.
I just thought that Pratyush isn't going to look wrong; he's plain and simply going to be wrong!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Whatever happens, he has to play against Bangladesh to hopefully get some confidence going - he's very much a confidence bowler, and it appears that it's noticeable that his head dropped and his bowling fell apart when Trescothick dropped that catch.
Why Bangladesh? He's not needed there- some reserve bowler can clean them up while he takes a break. It's only going to overwork him before the Ashes and what he does in that series will have no impact on how he will perform against the Australians.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Arjun said:
Why Bangladesh? He's not needed there- some reserve bowler can clean them up while he takes a break. It's only going to overwork him before the Ashes and what he does in that series will have no impact on how he will perform against the Australians.
Well why doesn't he go there in a limited capacity? Surely he'll get some confidence, have some match practice and doesn't even have to play as the spearhead; just a few overs here and there to get the rhythm back.

Scaly piscine

It's only 2 Tests, then there's the triangular ODI series and there's over a month between the last Bangladesh Test and the first Ashes Test

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arjun said:
He works on confidence as a bowler - a few wickets there would do that.

Scaly piscine

Apparently England's over rate is just over 12 an hour, that's what I meant earlier when I said the umpires should really be doing something about it, not that I'm complaining.