• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Luck is a part of life. You have to stride over it to prove a better team.
So you'll now accept England are a better team then?

2-1 up with a draw that they were on the verge of winning.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
So you'll now accept England are a better team then?

2-1 up with a draw that they were on the verge of winning.
There is one test still to go. Its best to analyse progress of teams series by series rather than mid series.

And England were the better team according to me before this series. Just not capable of winning a series in South Africa in South Africa based on the way South Africa plays in home (even with a weak team as shown in this series) and England not being as good as people made them out to be.

I will wait for the last test match before speaking on the progress/lack of progres of both teams.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
What an Excellent win but we do seem to make this Average South Africa team look half Decent
Erm, they're far from an average side - and remember this game they didn't even have an under-par token selection in the 11.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
Although SA are clearly not what they used to be, they have played well this series. They've bowled quite well, and batted very well with players like Kallis, Boje, De villiers (sp?) playing well earlier, and now Gibbs and Boucher.
To be honest, de Villiers hasn't actually done that much has he?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
redt-maker said:
Declarations in both innings......Trescothick attacking (24x 4s & 4x 6s) and scoring quick runs to move the game forward......Bowling the opposition out in 2 sessions on the last day with attacking fields....7 fielders around the bat....a winning attitude

This looks like the same aggressive cricket that the Aussies play and which creates victories 9 times out of 10. Should make a very interesting contest in the Summer.

Well done to England. Together with the Aussies, they are making Test matches more exciting and worth watching.

The other thing we've found is the whole stepping up the performance for an hour or 2 when the match is tight.

It happened back in the NZ series (in just about all 3 games) - but I don't remember it happening since then.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
God, I hate having to work for a living!! Especially when I'm missing the most exciting denouement to a test in yonks! Go Tres! Go Hoggy!

&, to show I know the taste of humble pie, I'll draw everyone's attention to my sage words of the thirteenth:

BoyBrumby said:
After watching tonight's highlights I reckon Tres is looking in woeful nick, he must edged half-a-dozen & played-and-missed as least as many again before one carried.
& this prescient gem from yesterday:

BoyBrumby said:
I'd take a draw now. I don't think with our bowlers in pieces we can seriously expect to take ten wickets in two sessions. Of course that's assuming we can actually bat to lunch anyway!
Thank God I'm on that ar$e & elbow differentiation course tomorrow!! :D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
To be honest, de Villiers hasn't actually done that much has he?
No. Nothing with the bat. One exceptional catch today and some good keeping but more was desired from the bat from him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
I will wait for the last test match before speaking on the progress/lack of progres of both teams.
And if it ends up 2-1 or 3-1 - shall I get Chef de Groot to prepare a big humble pie for you?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
I cannot see SA bouncing back from this when the game is so close.
They can. Smith was very gritty with his knock in the end and that will give them inspiration if not any thing else. Had it been a succumbing to defeat after losing those wickets, maybe they may not have bounced back. But now, they have a good chance.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
God, I hate having to work for a living!! Especially when I'm missing the most exciting denouement to a test in yonks! Go Tres! Go Hoggy!
There wasn't much work going on in my office ;)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
And if it ends up 2-1 or 3-1 - shall I get Chef de Groot to prepare a big humble pie for you?
Yep. No questions there.

But if it ends 2-2, I hope that pie can be smashed on your face :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
They can. Smith was very gritty with his knock in the end and that will give them inspiration if not any thing else. Had it been a succumbing to defeat after losing those wickets, maybe they may not have bounced back. But now, they have a good chance.
The only chance I can see them having is with the injury front - Anderson has to go, and I'm not sure how fit Harmison is - Jones will come in (this series has kind of made that Jones or Anderson thread a foregone conclusion), but after that, do we go with Lewis or do we strengthen the batting?

tooextracool

International Coach
personally i think bell must come in. the next test is the last real test before the ashes, and i really want to see if hes good enough for the test or not.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
The only chance I can see them having is with the injury front - Anderson has to go, and I'm not sure how fit Harmison is - Jones will come in (this series has kind of made that Jones or Anderson thread a foregone conclusion), but after that, do we go with Lewis or do we strengthen the batting?
South Africa has had a captain and a former captain hit on the head as well. We arent exactly injury free or completely 100 percent fit with the players either.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
fortunately the whole of the computer systems for my department were down for the whole day so i got to keep up to date and have a hour and a half lunch in the pub, so i caught some of it. Ah the wonders of IT outsourcing in the public sector- god bless Cap Gemeni

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
Yeah dish it up.. I ate mine when we subsided to New Zealand.. Even more pathetic is losing to England at home :(