• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
twctopcat said:
Anyone who has seen the aussies in recent months will know this to be true.
I have to say, Australia in the past one year has been better than I have ever seen them play. The best since 1996. They have almost looked invincible. And they have been exactly that too barring that spin mine of a pitch they got in India. And even invincibles can have one loss under exceptional situations which would mean though that they arent invincible. Which is why we have had only cricketing invincible team. Which is beside the point.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh here we go, England are busy playing a Test series in SA which they've not won yet but can't lose, and for some reason people ramble on about the Ashes and how England will have to improve massively etc. even tho it's 6 months away.

tooextracool

International Coach
what is with you? just because you win a series it doesnt mean you played brilliantly. incase you havent been watching we dont have much of a bowling attack and 5,6 and 7 have been mediocre.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Assessing England & Australia when they're playing completely different opposition in different conditions and deriving the theory that England will need a miracle because they lost 1 game out of 15 is kinda pointless. I suggest everyone just waits to see what happens against SA and the other games near to the Ashes and see what sort of form players are in out of the players that aren't injured.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Let's put this into perspective guys and girls - England have won 12 out of their last 15 Tests, against three different teams, home and away, with a virtually unchanged team, and having had to deal with various injuries and losses of form along the way - maybe we aren't yet good enough to beat Australia, but even if that is the case, there certainly isn't anyone else in the world who comes closer to their level than we do right now.

No other team could have pulled this match back after the day 3 performance.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
you mean you hope it wont :D
There is many a slip between the cup and the lip. And it aint over till the fat lady sings. South Africa found that out by setting defensive fields in the opening session of the 5th day thinking the match may end in a draw.

redt-maker

Cricket Spectator
Its true that England didn't play well at times in this Test match, but it is the sign of a good team that can win when they are not at their best and when some players are injured or not in form.

Excellent captaincy from Vaughan and some very positive cricket at the right times makes a winning team. You'll always get a few players who do not perform well in a Test, but as long as some of the players excel then you've got a good chance of winning. Remember, form is temporary, class is permanent. Which is probably why the Aussies will beat us again, but you've got to live in hope!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just read that Vaughan intends to take legal action against the ICC. That's brilliant news IMO. Fight the establishment. Cricket is run by fascists, and its disgusting.

tooextracool

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Assessing England & Australia when they're playing completely different opposition in different conditions and deriving the theory that England will need a miracle because they lost 1 game out of 15 is kinda pointless. I suggest everyone just waits to see what happens against SA and the other games near to the Ashes and see what sort of form players are in out of the players that aren't injured.
no assessing them by whos performing who isnt is. every player in the aussie side is performing(or nearly every player), about 6 players in the england side are, and only a few of them are even in the same class as aussies. do you seriously think hoggard, harmison, anderson,flintoff and giles can out bowl mcgrath, kaspa, gillespie and warne? simply bringing up the winning streak is pointless when you and everyone else knows that half the england side isnt performing and they are certainly performing well before the standard that they set in the summer.

djwolf

Cricket Spectator
redt-maker said:
Its true that England didn't play well at times in this Test match, but it is the sign of a good team that can win when they are not at their best and when some players are injured or not in form.

Excellent captaincy from Vaughan and some very positive cricket at the right times makes a winning team. You'll always get a few players who do not perform well in a Test, but as long as some of the players excel then you've got a good chance of winning. Remember, form is temporary, class is permanent. Which is probably why the Aussies will beat us again, but you've got to live in hope!
Yeah I agree. It's individual performances which have pulled us through again, namely Trescothick, Vaughan and Hoggard. It was a very good positive win for us and hopefully the momentum will carry into the final test.

I still think Australia will be a very tough battle although I don't want to make any predictions yet.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Jono said:
Just read that Vaughan intends to take legal action against the ICC. That's brilliant news IMO. Fight the establishment. Cricket is run by fascists, and its disgusting.

LOL, "warm your hands on the burning fascist flag"

tooextracool

International Coach
and with regard to, we need to wait till we get nearer to the ashes, i wonder if you realise that the next test match is the last real test that we play before the ashes?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
There was clearly a wink there. I was being sarcastic oh honourable one.
I was trying a direct reply to the one above you, but my lunch hour had finished so I didn't have time to edit it properly!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
England were average for large periods. Don't get over the moon.

Hoggy was fantastic by all accounts. Has to be one of the greatest Tests in the past few years. I can't wait for the highlights.