• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Interesting to see what changes both teams make for the final test then.

In England's case with Jones (G), Harmy & Giles all carrying knocks maybe changes can be made without anyone being "dropped".

EDIT: Except Jimmy, of course. He should be! :D

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jono said:
There's a reason why Botham called Dar a brave umpire for that decision. Look at where he bowled it from, look at how far forward Gibbs was. There was plenty of doubt in that.

This is plum:

That was an average decision.
He did say it was a brave decision, but then went on to say that umpires don't give enough of those decisions for spinners.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
One of the commentators also mentioned it to be a batting track.

I do guess that there will be good amount of grass left on the pitch though.
If i were the Saffies i would be making sure there was something in it for the bowlers

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mister Wright said:
He did say it was a brave decision, but then went on to say that umpires don't give enough of those decisions for spinners.
It was very unclear if it would go on to hit the stumps and I would have given it not out. Lets not get into discussing umpiring decisions now. England played better and deserved to win. Lets keep it at that.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
look flintoff and hoggard wont be taking too many 5fers in their career, you wont ever see them with figures of 6/66 or 7/12.
I think this one needs to go down in the annals of eternity. Saturday, 6.59pm.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pratyush said:
It was very unclear if it would go on to hit the stumps and I would have given it not out. Lets not get into discussing umpiring decisions now. England played better and deserved to win. Lets keep it at that.
Very magnanimous of you, Pratyush. Fair play. :)

I thought it was out, but it's one where the doubt should probably have gone to the batter. The decision was probably partly based (albeit subconsciously) on the Anderson shout before, which was stone-dead for me.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There are no Terrestrial highlights simply because no Terrestrial broadcasters want to broadcast the highlights. I, meanwhile, have just watched three hours of highlights on Sky. Wahey.

Hoggard's bowling effort was truly magnificent, and Tresco's innings also superb. I particularly liked the shot where he advanced down the pitch several strides to Kallis and deposited him several rows back over mid-on. Flintoff also bowled his backside off, and Ashley contributed well with bat and ball and in the field. The LBWs were also out, as was Gibbs in the 30s, mais c'est la vie. It's great to see Vaughaney back into some form with the bat, shame he can't catch for toffee, whilst Key has done enough to retain the number three spot for Centurion.

Harmo, meanwhile, is looking better (is that injury a blessing as he can't over-complicate his run up and must keep it simple and rhythmical?) whilst Anderson was, well, pretty damn poor. Simon Jones (if fit) must come back for the final Test, whilst I wouldn't be averse to seeing Lewis in the side. Centurion might just be Harmison's return, mind. As for Geraint? Sort your dives across Marcus out, mate, and never play that hook shot again.

twctopcat

International Regular
The only good thing to come out of the new tv deal is that channel five will have highlights for non sky mugs like me!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Yeah dish it up.. I ate mine when we subsided to New Zealand.. Even more pathetic is losing to England at home :(
I wouldn't do it to you, because all along you've recognised England are not that bad a side.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
Marc they are poor side... only Kallis and Pollock are good enough to get into englands team
My composite side:

Gibbs
Strauss
Rudolph
Vaughan (c)
Kallis
Flintoff
Boucher
Pollock
Giles
Ntini
Hoggard

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Hardly injured then...
You did not see the knock Pollock got did you? The amount of injury can only be known today, whether it is of any serious nature or did not cause much damage for Pollock to be fit to play, but it definitely was an injury at that moment the impact it had on Pollock.

Smith also had a pretty bad knock which caused his injury which ultimately made advise him not to go out and bat.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
Interesting to hear Big Dunc after the match. He was speaking of Centurion now being a “grassy” pitch. Made me wonder if he was hinting at dispensing with Ash Giles’s services.
I can't see them ever dropping Giles, and certainly not for a 5th seamer.