• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Pakistan

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
jack_sparrow said:
Wasim Akram criticises ICC over chucking laws

GG2.NET NEWS [30/11/2005]

FORMER Pakistan captain Wasim Akram has criticised the International Cricket Council (ICC) over laws governing illegal bowling actions and thinks players from the sub-continent are being unfairly treated.

He slammed cricket officials for the treatment of Pakistan seamer Shabbir Ahmed, who was reported for chucking in the first Test against England this month.

"Take the case of Shabbir. He was cleared three times earlier and he has been called again," said Wasim who took 414 Test wickets in his career.

"What is surprising is that most of this is happening to bowlers from our part of the world," he said. "Nobody from other countries -- South Africa, Australia and England -- have been called recently. This is because our representation at the ICC is minimal."

The subject of illegal bowling actions, or chucking, has often been controversial, with Sri Lankan off spinner Muttiah Muralitharan, India`s Harbhajan Singh and Pakistan strike bowler Shoaib Akhtar coming under scrutiny.

The ICC introduced a new threshold in March which allows bowlers to straighten their arms up to 15 degrees.

Previously, spinners were only permitted to straighten their arms by five degrees, medium pacers 7.5 degrees and fast bowlers by 10.

Wasim said the laws were still confusing. "I cannot understand what this 15 degrees angle is about. If I cannot understand, I do not know how a layman will," he said. "Either a bowler throws or he does not throw."

Shabbir, reported twice this year and four times in his career, faces an automatic one-year ban from international cricket if he fails a biomechanics test due to take place on December 9.

I COMPLETLY AGREE WITH MR. AKRAM. I THINK ITS THE ICC UPIRES WHO ARE CONFUSED ABOUT THE RULING. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST SHABBIR'S BOWLING ACTION. I have tapes of him in slo mo, and ive seen them many times. Nothing, absolutely nothing out of the ordinary about his action.

Poor thing, I heard he went into depression and on some meds. Just rumors I hope. :(
Oh wow another quote from Wasim 'the racist' Akram - who's obviously a bit dim if he doesn't understand what the 15 degrees angle is all about.

Another way you could look at this is Pakistan repeatedly keep playing guys they know are going to chuck, which is cheating basically, but of course it's not like Pakistan have a history of cheating so it must be something else - like the umpires being institutionally racist/clueless or being Shabbir haters, much more likely eh?

Anyway the only way we will get closure is if they release the data concerning Shabbir's bowling in the match, I'd be amazed if it did happen and so we're likely stuck with all this point scoring conjecture and Shabbir going back and forth each time his action disintegrates in a match.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Scaly piscine said:
Oh wow another quote from Wasim 'the racist' Akram - who's obviously a bit dim if he doesn't understand what the 15 degrees angle is all about.

Another way you could look at this is Pakistan repeatedly keep playing guys they know are going to chuck, which is cheating basically, but of course it's not like Pakistan have a history of cheating so it must be something else - like the umpires being institutionally racist/clueless or being Shabbir haters, much more likely eh?

Anyway the only way we will get closure is if they release the data concerning Shabbir's bowling in the match, I'd be amazed if it did happen and so we're likely stuck with all this point scoring conjecture and Shabbir going back and forth each time his action disintegrates in a match.
No, no. It's actually a conspiracy by Pakistan so they could beat England just to tick you off. Pakistan obviously paid off the umpires, gave England's batsman food poisoning, used a secret invisible laser to cause injury to Vaughn's knee and Giles' hip, paid someone to knock off Marcus Trescothick's father in law off the ladder so he would be distracted, and forced Andrew Strauss' wife to give birth now so he'd be distracted. Does that pretty much cover it or did I leave something out that the EVIL Pakistani's did to your team?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Fusion said:
Does that pretty much cover it or did I leave something out that the EVIL Pakistani's did to your team?
Yeah, they played better cricket than us, the sods - we certainly didn't seem to have seen that coming. :p

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yeah, they played better cricket than us, the sods - we certainly didn't seem to have seen that coming
A better team would play better cricket 9 times out of 10, so actually it is not a surprise that we won so easily.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
No, no. It's actually a conspiracy by Pakistan so they could beat England just to tick you off. Pakistan obviously paid off the umpires, gave England's batsman food poisoning, used a secret invisible laser to cause injury to Vaughn's knee and Giles' hip, paid someone to knock off Marcus Trescothick's father in law off the ladder so he would be distracted, and forced Andrew Strauss' wife to give birth now so he'd be distracted. Does that pretty much cover it or did I leave something out that the EVIL Pakistani's did to your team?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

pakster

U19 12th Man
Fusion said:
shhh...you werent supposed to tell anyone

Scaly piscine

Xuhaib said:
A better team would play better cricket 9 times out of 10, so actually it is not a surprise that we won so easily.
The better team might play better cricket 9 time out of 10 over a series if the pitches, cricket balls etc. were universal, but they aren't.

Scaly piscine

Fusion said:
Wow, didn't know they did that as well. All the rest are overused Pakistan ploys, they really ought to think up some new stuff.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
The better team might play better cricket 9 time out of 10 over a series if the pitches, cricket balls etc. were universal, but they aren't.
Oh shut up - we were beaten by the better side over the 3 match series - end of story.

Scaly piscine

marc71178 said:
Oh shut up - we were beaten by the better side over the 3 match series - end of story.
England are the better team, Pakistan played better. Now do the world a favour and shut up yourself.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
England are the better team, Pakistan played better.
Make a 1on1 comparison of both teams and you will find out which team is better individually.The only advantage England gets is from Freddie and that to is nullified in sub-continent by Afridi.

Scaly piscine

Xuhaib said:
Make a 1on1 comparison of both teams and you will find out which team is better individually.The only advantage England gets is from Freddie and that to is nullified in sub-continent by Afridi.
Which team has won 5 Test series over the past 2 years and which team has won 1 Test series over the past 2 years? Note also the word TEAM, so why would I care about an individual comparison?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Originally Posted by marc71178
So how come England won the Ashes 2-1 then?
Marc and the rest of the english guyz get over the ashes deep down all of you know that Mcgrath was injured and Aus played with duds like Dizzy, Kasper, Pupp and Katich. If the OZ had played to their potential they would have retained the urn.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Trescothick>Malik
Strauss>Butt
Vaughan<Kahn
Bell<Yousuf
KP<Inzie
Freddie>Afridi
Jones<Akmal
Giles<Kaneria
Hoggard>Rana
Harmison>Sami
Jones<Akthar

5-6 my count,England are still the better side.

Scaly piscine

Xuhaib said:
Marc and the rest of the english guyz get over the ashes deep down all of you know that Mcgrath was injured and Aus played with duds like Dizzy, Kasper, Pupp and Katich. If the OZ had played to their potential they would have retained the urn.
So why are Australia allowed these excuses and to be still considering to be the best team but when England lose they're considering worse than a side that's won 1 Test series in 2 years?

open365

International Vice-Captain
Xuhaib said:
did it ever cross your mind that some of the Australian players played badly because England played well?

viktor

State Vice-Captain
open365 said:
Trescothick>Malik
Strauss>Butt
Vaughan<Kahn
Bell<Yousuf
KP<Inzie
Freddie>Afridi
Jones<Akmal
Giles<Kaneria
Hoggard>Rana
Harmison>Sami
Jones<Akthar

5-6 my count,England are still the better side.
Thats one h2h that could go the other way. then its 6-5 to Pak.