• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Pakistan

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Barney Rubble said:
I think at this point I'm going to have to own up to being the only man not disappointed to see him in the squad for these ODIs. I know he's crap, but I've just always had this feeling that he's not quite as crap as everyone thinks. Someday he might actually do something good.
Afridi is going to eat him alive if he bowls after Afridi's match ban is up. Ali bowls half volleys at the death, and Kemp feasted himself to a flurry of sixes last time I saw Kabir Ali. I think Afridi will do the same if he bats low.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Afridi is going to eat him alive if he bowls after Afridi's match ban is up. Ali bowls half volleys at the death, and Kemp feasted himself to a flurry of sixes last time I saw Kabir Ali. I think Afridi will do the same if he bats low.
From what I remember about Kabir's overs in SA, he shouldn't be bowling at the death. He often did a good job in the middle overs, sometimes after SA had made a good start, but, as you said, he got absolutely murdered in the final 10. I think the jury's out on him. He's only played 7 games, all of them in a struggling side who patently didn't want to be there. He was relatively expensive, but he was our top wicket taker. I've seen a lot worse, and we're going to have to stick with some of these guys if we're serious about building a side.

EDIT
All that being said, he looks like he's lost out today as far as Saturday's lineup is concerned.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Damn, I really like Iftikhar Anjum, and a duck for him. But at least he got a few wickets.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Good one win for Pakistan A, after Anderson got three quick wickets I thought that was it but well played and nice to Bazid Khan in the runs. See Shaun Udal did well, 4 overs for 33.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
wpdavid said:
And then Colly rips out a couple to show me up. Good job, as Pak 'A' looked well set for a last-10-overs blitz with wickets in hand.
Why do you put A in half-quotes? I hope you're not suggesting that it's a stronger side than it should be. The only notable player they have is Abdur Razzaq, and he didn't really have an impact. And look at that - Bazid Khan hits a 4 off the second-to-last ball to win the match! We knew that England can't beat Pakistan, but this proves that they can't even beat Pakistan A!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well, another triumphant day for England in Pakistan - 8/11 of our oneday side beaten by the Pakistan 'A' team. Turns out that Bazid Khan is Majid's son, which brings back some happy memories. For England, a good day for the Durham boys, plus Prior & Anderson. Apart from that, almost entirely clueless.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
ClownSymonds said:
Why do you put A in half-quotes? I hope you're not suggesting that it's a stronger side than it should be. The only notable player they have is Abdur Razzaq, and he didn't really have an impact.
No, if I meant that I'd have put full quotes marks (""). Got it?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
ClownSymonds said:
Why do you put A in half-quotes? I hope you're not suggesting that it's a stronger side than it should be. The only notable player they have is Abdur Razzaq, and he didn't really have an impact. And look at that - Bazid Khan hits a 4 off the second-to-last ball to win the match! We knew that England can't beat Pakistan, but this proves that they can't even beat Pakistan A!
You`re weird...
That`s meant to be how you type it. It distinguishes bewteen the team name and a new sentence. :)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
That`s meant to be how you type it. It distinguishes bewteen the team name and a new sentence. :)
Thanks mate. I thought it was right, but it's nice to have a bit of support.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
Nnanden said:
You`re weird...
No, a period does that. Look at this sample sentence from Cricinfo (more of an authority than you): Matt Prior grasped his opportunity to impress at the top of the order, and Paul Collingwood quickly transferred his Test form into the one-day arena, as England recovered from a difficult start to their one-off warm-up match against Pakistan A.

Your support is Nnanden/wpdavid. Mine is Andrew Miller. I win.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Quite where this leaves us for Saturday is anyone's guess. Something like:

Tresco
2 from Strauss, Prior, Solanki & Bell
KP
Fred
Collingwood
Jones
Blackwell
Plunkett
Harmison
Anderson

My guess is Strauss will play, even though he probably shouldn't and Prior will bat at 3.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
I would, but I don't have any friends. :sadwalk:

On a more serious note, England haven't managed a win with less than 14 players all tour. Even that was against a team lesser than Pakistan A, playing with only 11, I think.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
ClownSymonds said:
I would, but I don't have any friends. :sadwalk:

On a more serious note, England haven't managed a win with less than 14 players all tour. Even that was against a team lesser than Pakistan A, playing with only 11, I think.
Nice one :D

And yes, we know we've been truly terrible for most of the tour, and we're glad it makes you happy, but you really should be nice to us when we're having a hard time. You might even make some friends that way. :inlove:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
wpdavid said:
Well, another triumphant day for England in Pakistan - 8/11 of our oneday side beaten by the Pakistan 'A' team. Turns out that Bazid Khan is Majid's son, which brings back some happy memories. For England, a good day for the Durham boys, plus Prior & Anderson. Apart from that, almost entirely clueless.
Yep, good day as far as I'm concerned, Prior did much better than Solanki, Kabir Ali showed he's completely crap again as did Udal. The result of the game is next to meaningless. As far as England goes if they replace Solanki, Kabir Ali and Udal (dunno who else would miss out) with Trescothick, Flintoff and Harmison that's like having four extra players.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I hope England get their act together soon. I picked Shoaib Malik and Strauss to be the top run getters for their respective sides. Let us see how my guess goes.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
I hope England get their act together soon. I picked Shoaib Malick and Strauss to be the top run getters for their respective sides. Let us see how my guess goes.
Are you insane?.