• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Pakistan

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
I hope England get their act together soon. I picked Shoaib Malik and Strauss to be the top run getters for their respective sides. Let us see how my guess goes.
Based on 2005 ODI form, you'd even take Solanki ahead of Strauss - by some distance, actually.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TT Boy said:
Are you insane?.
More likely than Strauss, let's be fair. I'd even back Samuel Strauss to get more than Andrew this series, solely on the grounds that the over-head-height no ball count would be huge...

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see Jimmy doing ok, hopefully he'll get the new ball in the ODI's.

interesting to look at the stats for Plunkett, Ali and Anderson in the NL this season

Anderson 23 wickets@19.65 ER 4.07
Plunkett 19wickets@29.10 ER 4.72
Ali 21wickets@23.42 ER 5.55

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
superkingdave said:
Good to see Jimmy doing ok, hopefully he'll get the new ball in the ODI's.

interesting to look at the stats for Plunkett, Ali and Anderson in the NL this season

Anderson 23 wickets@19.65 ER 4.07
Plunkett 19wickets@29.10 ER 4.72
Ali 21wickets@23.42 ER 5.55
Illustrates how his trajectory, pace etc. make him so easy to get after. Can't see him having that sort of average in ODIs over an extended period of time either. Hopefully he won't play.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
he he just seen Kabir's dismissal today, for those who won't get to see it, he hit a full blooded drive - Collingwood didn't have time to get out of the way, it hit the back of his batted and looped up to mid on - bizarre!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
England will say that these warm-up defeats dont mean anything but its got to, hopefully it really isn't & we see some good performances in the ODI's. After the warm-up my team for the 1st ODI now would be:

Trescothick
Prior
Strauss
KP
Freddie
Colly
Blackie
Jones
Plunks
Harmy
Anderson

S/Sub: either Solanki or Ali

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Wow. My picks have turned a lot of heads here. :D

I actually picked them as dark horses. Too bad I missed that word in my earlier post. Anyways, it is still just a guess and if it does come through, I can always say "Told you so". :D

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From Cricinfo's quote section:

"I am against the ICC. The reason is it's run by all the goras (whites)."
Wasim Akram with comments that would get others in deep trouble. It also ignores the way the ICC is made up. Aside from that, nothing controversial

Anyone know the full article/quote etc. where this came from?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Jamee999 said:
Aren't all 6 ODIs Day Nighters?
Yeah ther day nighters only start a few hours later than a test because it gets so dark so early.
So its more like a Day / Dark match than a night match.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
From Cricinfo's quote section:

"I am against the ICC. The reason is it's run by all the goras (whites)."
Wasim Akram with comments that would get others in deep trouble. It also ignores the way the ICC is made up. Aside from that, nothing controversial

Anyone know the full article/quote etc. where this came from?
A quick search on Google News for "Wasim Akram" & "ICC" does the job pdq.

Last edited:

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
Wasim Akram criticises ICC over chucking laws

GG2.NET NEWS [30/11/2005]

FORMER Pakistan captain Wasim Akram has criticised the International Cricket Council (ICC) over laws governing illegal bowling actions and thinks players from the sub-continent are being unfairly treated.

He slammed cricket officials for the treatment of Pakistan seamer Shabbir Ahmed, who was reported for chucking in the first Test against England this month.

"Take the case of Shabbir. He was cleared three times earlier and he has been called again," said Wasim who took 414 Test wickets in his career.

"What is surprising is that most of this is happening to bowlers from our part of the world," he said. "Nobody from other countries -- South Africa, Australia and England -- have been called recently. This is because our representation at the ICC is minimal."

The subject of illegal bowling actions, or chucking, has often been controversial, with Sri Lankan off spinner Muttiah Muralitharan, India`s Harbhajan Singh and Pakistan strike bowler Shoaib Akhtar coming under scrutiny.

The ICC introduced a new threshold in March which allows bowlers to straighten their arms up to 15 degrees.

Previously, spinners were only permitted to straighten their arms by five degrees, medium pacers 7.5 degrees and fast bowlers by 10.

Wasim said the laws were still confusing. "I cannot understand what this 15 degrees angle is about. If I cannot understand, I do not know how a layman will," he said. "Either a bowler throws or he does not throw."

Shabbir, reported twice this year and four times in his career, faces an automatic one-year ban from international cricket if he fails a biomechanics test due to take place on December 9.

I COMPLETLY AGREE WITH MR. AKRAM. I THINK ITS THE ICC UPIRES WHO ARE CONFUSED ABOUT THE RULING. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST SHABBIR'S BOWLING ACTION. I have tapes of him in slo mo, and ive seen them many times. Nothing, absolutely nothing out of the ordinary about his action.

Poor thing, I heard he went into depression and on some meds. Just rumors I hope. :(