• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Pakistan

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ian Blackwell's only innings of note came against India, right? I honestly think he has a bit of potential, at least as a lower order batsman *** OD spinner.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
Based on what?

List A economy of 4.90 and average of 35.62 hardly scream pick me ahead of 4.29 and 25.59
There's not much in it in terms of their ODI records tho (Giles 55 @ 37.61, ER: 4.34 - Blackwell 15 @ 32.33, ER: 4.49. Interestingly Giles averages slightly more with the bat, but at a much lower strike rate). They're both a bit rubbish as outfielders go.

My point earlier was getting at that Blackwell's responsibility should be to get through 10 fairly economical overs and if he bats well it's a bonus.

Legglancer

State Regular
legglancer

Legglancer said:
England are going to need to be able to adjust to pakistani conditions. If not they they could have a repeat of the "Sri Lankan thrashing they got last year !

Ha ha ha ...... From Way back in September After England had just won the ashers !

Sometime my wisdom even surprises me ! :D

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Legglancer said:
Ha ha ha ...... From Way back in September After England had just won the ashers !

Sometime my wisdom even surprises me ! :D
What you've quoted is like saying "If England don't play well they could lose"

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Interestingly, I wonder what would happen should Bell happen to go in at 3 and hit a hundred. There's no obvious free spot in the England ODI lineup - but there's no doubt as to who their worst ODI batsman is........ :ph34r:
If Bell hits a hundred, it will probably end up costing England a chance of winning. I say "a chance of winning" instead of "the match" because England should lose 0-5 with any line-up.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
ClownSymonds said:
If Bell hits a hundred, it will probably end up costing England a chance of winning. I say "a chance of winning" instead of "the match" because England should lose 0-5 with any line-up.
I'm assuming you mean because he scores too slowly? Rubbish. A week after the Ashes finished he went back to Warwickshire and hit 130* off 100-odd balls with 7 sixes.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
I'm assuming you mean because he (Bell) scores too slowly? Rubbish. A week after the Ashes finished he went back to Warwickshire and hit 130* off 100-odd balls with 7 sixes.
Plus it would provide a platform for the others to have a dart.

Incidentally, I see Prior is in the runs again. Given the form of others, it's hard to justify him not playing on Saturday

Barney Rubble

International Coach
wpdavid said:
Plus it would provide a platform for the others to have a dart.

Incidentally, I see Prior is in the runs again. Given the form of others, it's hard to justify him not playing on Saturday
I'd pick him over Solanki anyway, really. Solanki has still yet to establish himself as a first-choice, really - Prior might do if given the chance, and I think he deserves one. Upside of being a keeper is that he's also an outstanding fielder, too. Only problem is where he bats. He clearly prefers to open, but that's out of the question. He'll probably end up as SuperSub.

And re: Bell - exactly, you've got to have someone in your side playing the anchor role. He can be to England what Dravid is to India.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
I'd pick him over Solanki anyway, really. Solanki has still yet to establish himself as a first-choice, really - Prior might do if given the chance, and I think he deserves one. Upside of being a keeper is that he's also an outstanding fielder, too. Only problem is where he bats. He clearly prefers to open, but that's out of the question. He'll probably end up as SuperSub.
You could also make a pretty good case for playing Prior instead of Strauss on current form. Come to think of it, I don't remember many decent oneday innings from Strauss in 2005 anywhere.

EDIT
Ignoring Bangladesh, Strauss has played 14 matches against SA & Aus, averaging 18, and not once reaching 50.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
wpdavid said:
You could also make a pretty good case for playing Prior instead of Strauss on current form. Come to think of it, I don't remember many decent oneday innings from Strauss in 2005 anywhere.
Neither do I. Another couple of series of this and his place will be in doubt. Hopefully a big score is just round the corner - for the moment, though, he's still living off his 152 against Bangladesh.

EDIT: That stat is painful. Had no idea it was that bad.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Neither do I. Another couple of series of this and his place will be in doubt. Hopefully a big score is just round the corner - for the moment, though, he's still living off his 152 against Bangladesh.

EDIT: That stat is painful. Had no idea it was that bad.
Neither had I before I checked it. I don't blame him for today's innings, having just flown back from England yesterday, presumably after very little sleep. However, I don't think we can afford to leave it long. Whilst I'm generally of the view that good oneday teams are largely made up of the test side, there are exceptions. There's a limit to how many guys we can carry, especially when 2 of them are in the top 3.

btw I see you're now a staff member. That's great news. :D
When did you join the team?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
wpdavid said:
Neither had I before I checked it. I don't blame him for today's innings, having just flown back from England yesterday, presumably after very little sleep. However, I don't think we can afford to leave it long. Whilst I'm generally of the view that good oneday teams are largely made up of the test side, there are exceptions. There's a limit to how many guys we can carry, especially when 2 of them are in the top 3.

btw I see you're now a staff member. That's great news. :D
When did you join the team?
Monday, I think it was. And thanks. :)

My first assignment is the SA player profiles. Shouldn't be too bad.

And re: Strauss, I have a sneaking feeling he might be well served by a move down the order in ODI cricket. He's had success at 4 in the past - would also allow Prior to slot in at 2.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Nnanden said:
What`s that, Kabir Ali is crap? I agree.
I think at this point I'm going to have to own up to being the only man not disappointed to see him in the squad for these ODIs. I know he's crap, but I've just always had this feeling that he's not quite as crap as everyone thinks. Someday he might actually do something good.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Monday, I think it was. And thanks. :)

My first assignment is the SA player profiles. Shouldn't be too bad.

And re: Strauss, I have a sneaking feeling he might be well served by a move down the order in ODI cricket. He's had success at 4 in the past - would also allow Prior to slot in at 2.

I suppose Strauss moved up from 4 after KP emerged, as we wanted KP, Fred & Collingwood in the top 6. Is Straus moved back to number 4, I don't know how we'd resolve that one.
Actually, the top 3 have been a big problem for us. Vaughan's difficulties in the oneday game are well documented, Tres hasn't been consistent in that form of the game over the last couple of years, and this year Strauss has struggled. You couldn't say there isn't an opening for anyone who can actually make runs regularly agaisnt the new white ball.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
I think at this point I'm going to have to own up to being the only man not disappointed to see him in the squad for these ODIs. I know he's crap, but I've just always had this feeling that he's not quite as crap as everyone thinks. Someday he might actually do something good.
I think he's OK. He's bowled some very economical spells and has taken some handy wickets but has the unfortunate tendancy to occasionally go for about 20 in one over to the likes of Justin Kemp. I don't think he should be opening though, and he won't once Harmison returns. He's also scored some useful runs, btw. All that being said, I can't believe how many noballs he's sent down today, but that's always a bugbear of mine. Call me an old git, but I just don't understand why guys who do this for a living can't get their front foot in the right place.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
wpdavid said:
I suppose Strauss moved up from 4 after KP emerged, as we wanted KP, Fred & Collingwood in the top 6. Is Straus moved back to number 4, I don't know how we'd resolve that one.
Actually, the top 3 have been a big problem for us. Vaughan's difficulties in the oneday game are well documented, Tres hasn't been consistent in that form of the game over the last couple of years, and this year Strauss has struggled. You couldn't say there isn't an opening for anyone who can actually make runs regularly agaisnt the new white ball.
My suggestion for an ODI XI with Strauss at 4:

Trescothick
Prior
Vaughan
Strauss
KP
Fred
Colly
GoJo
Giles
Harmy
Jonah

SuperSub: Anderson

Barney Rubble

International Coach
wpdavid said:
I think he's OK. He's bowled some very economical spells and has taken some handy wickets but has the unfortunate tendancy to occasionally go for about 20 in one over to the likes of Justin Kemp. I don't think he should be opening though, and he won't once Harmison returns. He's also scored some useful runs, btw. All that being said, I can't believe how many noballs he's sent down today, but that's always a bugbear of mine. Call me an old git, but I just don't understand why guys who do this for a living can't get their front foot in the right place.
My grandad has that thing about no-balls, too - he used to be a left-arm spinner (turned down the chance to play FC cricket for Kent, took around 2000 wickets in club cricket :) ) and he can't understand fast bowlers who get their runs wrong. He can't understand why they don't just move their run-up back a few inches, and I can see where he's coming from.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
My suggestion for an ODI XI with Strauss at 4:

Trescothick
Prior
Vaughan
Strauss
KP
Fred
Colly
GoJo
Giles
Harmy
Jonah

SuperSub: Anderson
I suppose my problem with that XI is that we're looking at a mandatory 10 overs from Collingwood and trusting that none of the other will have a mare, or get injured. The thing I like about moving KP, Fred & Colly up a place is that Colly is then a 6th option with the ball, which gives us some flexibility and also means that we have more wicket taking options. However, it does need the top 3 to do their jobs more often than not, and I think some hard decisions may need to be taken about who plays there.

Oh, and I've ignored Anderson at supersub because (1) I don't think he definitiely gets to bowl and (2) I don't really understand the concept beyond I think it's rubbish and I hope they'll do away with it ASAP

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
And then Colly rips out a couple to show me up. Good job, as Pak 'A' looked well set for a last-10-overs blitz with wickets in hand.