• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Pakistan

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Firstly, he's a cricket fan, not just an Australian cricket fan.

Secondly, people (you haven't really been the main culprit) should just let go of the fact that he supports England against everyone else bar Australia. He likes both teams because he lives in the UK, get over it.
nice to know that i have someone on my side :cool:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
I hope Blackwell does OK though. He actually bowled pretty well in a VB series in Aus a couple of years ago, but his batting was dreadfully disappointing. Maybe if he can get one big innings under his belt (not that there's a lot of space there, of course) then his confidence will pick up at this level.
word, once that could happen it would be great if england had Freddie, KP & Blackie at the bottom of the order, that would be a nightmare for opposition bowlers.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Gloucefan said:
I'd like to see Prior in place of Jones, should give him a chance before India.
for Prior to play in the OD team he would have to open the batting IMO, since if my memroy is right thats where he has had all his success with sussex in domestic OD competitions, But the problem their is that the england camp wont split from Tres & Strauss at the top of the order added to the fact that Jones is a favourite. So if Prior is going to play a lot has to go in his favour.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
word, once that could happen it would be great if england had Freddie, KP & Blackie at the bottom of the order, that would be a nightmare for opposition bowlers.
I can just see it now, an all-caught-in-the-deep hattrick with 20 overs left...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
ha might be in for a pleasant surprised one day if these 3 play together regularly...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
You should try seeing something positively for a change. Having three players in our middle order capable of scoring at a strike rate of 200 is a cause for optimism. Until the experiment fails, don't condemn it. Otherwise you just look silly if it succeeds.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Scaly piscine said:
Atleast one of them has to fire every game, not the same one of course. It wouldn't be too bad if they all failed once in a while. Plus, I think you English fans under-estimate Freddie. Sure he threw away his wicket a lot in these tests, but that has to be due to exhaustion. I love Freddie, only English player I love, and I felt bad when he went for a duck in the last test, tbh.

Scaly piscine

I personally think people are overestimating Blackwell with the bat, his batting record for England is awful and him firing with the bat happened once in 19 innings. He should bat below Geraint and expect to play as a bowler more than anything.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Gloucefan said:
I'd like to see Prior in place of Jones, should give him a chance before India.
Why?

Jones is one of the only positives of this tour, so why talk about replacing him?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
Why?

Jones is one of the only positives of this tour, so why talk about replacing him?
Exactly. Old habit of the English. One bad series, take it out on players who performed good enough consistently. I guess every team does that though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
I personally think people are overestimating Blackwell with the bat, his batting record for England is awful and him firing with the bat happened once in 19 innings. He should bat below Geraint and expect to play as a bowler more than anything.
Thee's no arguing about his track record for England with the bat, and I put him after Jones as well. However, his record for Somerst does suggest he has something - if it was so easy slogging county attacks everyone would be doing it - and I'm happy enough to see him get another chance. FWIW I don't think his bowling is any worse than the likes of Swann.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
wpdavid said:
Thee's no arguing about his track record for England with the bat, and I put him after Jones as well. However, his record for Somerst does suggest he has something - if it was so easy slogging county attacks everyone would be doing it - and I'm happy enough to see him get another chance. FWIW I don't think his bowling is any worse than the likes of Swann.
My thoughts exactly - his bowling is probably good enough to justify his place in the side in place of Giles anyway, and if he can get his batting firing at international level there's no doubt he could become a real danger. You only have to see him in full flow at county level to know there's very few men who can strike a cricket ball like him. He's become a more mature, confident and responsible player since taking on the Somerset captaincy - the only thing that remains for him to do is move up the order from 6 to 4 for Somerset, as he should be doing. I, for one, think he might surprise a few people this series.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
It's now confirmed that Vaughan will be replaced by Bell in the ODIs because of his dodgy knee, with Tres as captain. That means England are probably going to be missing four of their first-choice lineup this series - Vaughan, Giles, Tremlett and Simon Jones. Big test for those who step into their places.

Interestingly, I wonder what would happen should Bell happen to go in at 3 and hit a hundred. There's no obvious free spot in the England ODI lineup - but there's no doubt as to who their worst ODI batsman is........ :ph34r:

andyc

Barney Rubble said:
It's now confirmed that Vaughan will be replaced by Bell in the ODIs because of his dodgy knee, with Tres as captain. That means England are probably going to be missing four of their first-choice lineup this series - Vaughan, Giles, Tremlett and Simon Jones. Big test for those who step into their places.

Interestingly, I wonder what would happen should Bell happen to go in at 3 and hit a hundred. There's no obvious free spot in the England ODI lineup - but there's no doubt as to who their worst ODI batsman is........ :ph34r:
I don't think Vaughan deserves a spot in the ODI line-up at all. Trescothick showed in the tests that he was a competent enough captain and I think he could easily captain the one day side and allow a much better batsman to take his place. Then again, I've not really paid all that much attention to English cricket so I could be wrong

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Barney Rubble said:
My thoughts exactly - his bowling is probably good enough to justify his place in the side in place of Giles anyway
Based on what?

List A economy of 4.90 and average of 35.62 hardly scream pick me ahead of 4.29 and 25.59

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Barney Rubble said:
That means England are probably going to be missing four of their first-choice lineup this series - Vaughan, Giles, Tremlett and Simon Jones. Big test for those who step into their places.
Don't think Tremlett's a first choice player just yet.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Based on what?

List A economy of 4.90 and average of 35.62 hardly scream pick me ahead of 4.29 and 25.59
I'm not saying pick him ahead of Giles, I'm saying that if Giles can't play, and having seen how badly Udal did in the Tests, it's probably worth playing him ahead of the likes of Batty, Swann etc because the differences in bowling ability aren't great, and if he should happen to get his batting sorted at this level he'll be a big asset. I'd not pick him if Giles is fit - but the point is, there's a lack of options behind Giles and he's as good as any.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Don't think Tremlett's a first choice player just yet.
I think's it's fair enough to assume he'd be there or thereabouts - he did enough last summer to be first in line when Gough pulled out, he just happened to get injured at the same time. I reckon he'd probably be scraping in ahead of Plunkett and Anderson if he was fit. Probably was pushing it a little to call him first-choice, though, yes.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
I think's it's fair enough to assume he'd be there or thereabouts - he did enough last summer to be first in line when Gough pulled out, he just happened to get injured at the same time. I reckon he'd probably be scraping in ahead of Plunkett and Anderson if he was fit. Probably was pushing it a little to call him first-choice, though, yes.
It's not unreasonable to assume Tremlett was ahead of Plunkett & Kabir to replace Gough & Jones, judging by the lineups in our summer. Probably a 50/50 between him & Anderson