• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in England

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
yet it was the closest ashes series we've had in over a decade.
and if you remember correctly we ran with the momentum and were 1-0 up until the third test,and it took a phenomenal effort from steve waugh(a 100 in both innings in the third) for them to get the momentum back.
IIRC didn't Steve Waugh get a favourable umpiring decison early in his first innings?

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Not bad if it were a game against decent opposition, but the University side make Worcestershire look like Australia.
Still important for them to get some confidence no?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
badgerhair said:
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Graveney gave a pretty strong signal that Pietersen would have been picked if Thorpe wasn't fit. (I assume you're talking about KP rather than Ed Joyce, who doesn't actually qualify until July 1.)

Cheers,

Mike
I was talking about KP.

They could've fudged it though - picked both in the initial squad and prolonged the hype.

But no, they've well and truly informed Pietersen that he's got some way to go still.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
I was talking about KP.

They could've fudged it though - picked both in the initial squad and prolonged the hype.

But no, they've well and truly informed Pietersen that he's got some way to go still.
The alternative view is that he's been told he hasn't got any further to actually go and he's now waiting for dead man's shoes, otherwise known as Thorpe's retirement at the end of the season. (I know he hasn;'t announced it, but I can't see him wanting to tour this winter.)

Chers,

Mike

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Really happy with the decision to pick Bell over Pietersen in the squad. Ideally Vaughan will go to 3 where he belongs, and Bell will bat at 5.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well i personally think that they should bat Ian Bell at 3, the only reason why Bell batted at 5 aganist WI was cus Key was in the side. With no Key or Butcher, why not bat him at 3 and keep pretty much the same batting line up as they had for the last two years, with Bell replacing Butcher/Key at 3. That where his batted all his FC career, why not give him an chance to bat in the same place in Test Cricket.

Rich2001

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Too right. I doubt, however, that the England hierarchy are daft enough to take Bangladesh anything other than completely seriously, with the result that England will perform to a sufficient level to prevent any significant worry.

Depending on weather conditions, I give it between 8 and 11 sessions.
England have respect for Bangladesh - If you recall when we toured there a couple of years back they pushed us into the last session of Day 5 in one of the Tests and could have drawn the match it went that close.

Bangladesh have improved sightly from then as well, for about two years they couldn't score an innings total over 150-180 now they do that more regularly. The only factor they will struggle with is the seam/swing that the English conditions always provide at this time of year.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Bangladesh have had a good beating today at hove 412/3 for sussex, looking good bangladesh

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Surely Mike if he had no further to go, they'd have picked him ahead of Bell for this game?
Would you have been saying that if Pietersen were a recognised opening bat?

It's always seemed most likely to me that Pietersen would bat at five, at which there is no current vacancy, whereas Bell would come in at three or four, where there was one - or at least, one of the incumbents had not fully established his case. Graveney's answers when asked why Pietersen hadn't been picked seemed to indicate that this was indeed the thinking.

Just as almost whatever Cook does this season, and probably next, he's going to have to kick his heels until either Strauss or Trescothick get injured, no matter what happens to batsmen lower down.

Cheers,

Mike

Langeveldt

Soutie
Not sure what to make of KP's omission... To be honest they could pick any county XI to maul Bangladesh.. Pietersen is probably better off playing a higher standard of cricket in the championship before the Ashes.. Ditto Flintoff..

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Rich2001 said:
England have respect for Bangladesh - If you recall when we toured there a couple of years back they pushed us into the last session of Day 5 in one of the Tests and could have drawn the match it went that close.
If you recall, the first day was virtually a washout, and there weren't any of these ingenious time-recovery mechanisms in place. And when England batted, Hussain and Butcher got ducks, which rather upset the applecart.

Bangladesh have improved sightly from then as well, for about two years they couldn't score an innings total over 150-180 now they do that more regularly. The only factor they will struggle with is the seam/swing that the English conditions always provide at this time of year.
And the fact that England are a vastly superior team.

The team they will face at Lord's will not include Gareth Batty or Rikki Clarke, and will include Flintoff. And Hoggard has learned to bowl properly since then - he was dropped after that series.

If England do not concentrate properly on the job in hand, throw their wickets away and bowl tripe, then Bangladesh might be able to sneak something, but if they do their job properly, it will be a slaughter.

Cheers,

Mike

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
badgerhair said:
Would you have been saying that if Pietersen were a recognised opening bat?

It's always seemed most likely to me that Pietersen would bat at five, at which there is no current vacancy, whereas Bell would come in at three or four, where there was one - or at least, one of the incumbents had not fully established his case.

There's no point talking about him being an opener or not since he's never been one so that only clouds the issue (and one could argue that the selection of Strauss shows that even that spot isn't sacred)

The fact is that if they wanted him in that side they could have easily accomodated him, but they wisely chose not to listen to the hype and instead pick the better batsman.

Craig

World Traveller
badgerhair said:
The alternative view is that he's been told he hasn't got any further to actually go and he's now waiting for dead man's shoes, otherwise known as Thorpe's retirement at the end of the season. (I know he hasn;'t announced it, but I can't see him wanting to tour this winter.)

Chers,

Mike
IIRC aren't your team are off to India this summer/winter (for you)?

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Craig said:
IIRC aren't your team are off to India this summer/winter (for you)?
Yes, as well as Pakistan. I don't think the destination will have any effect on Thorpe not wanting to tour, though.

Cheers,

Mike

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Bangladesh getting thumped around the Hove ground by Michael Yardy (what's up with him this season? Suddenly a high scorer.....) and Tim Ambrose.

Sussex 471/3, Yardy 212* from 285 balls, Ambrose 74* from 132.......I really don't think Bangla are going to be looking forward to playing England after this, are they?

Ambrose gone as I speak, to Enamul Haque Jr for 78. 475/4. Next in is SA Heather, Cricinfo doesn't even know who he is - probably some 15-year-old or something - if he gets runs they really should be embarrassed. Talha Jubair has terrible figures, 18-1-112-1. Ouch.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
There's no point talking about him being an opener or not since he's never been one so that only clouds the issue (and one could argue that the selection of Strauss shows that even that spot isn't sacred)

The fact is that if they wanted him in that side they could have easily accomodated him, but they wisely chose not to listen to the hype and instead pick the better batsman.
He opened for England A vs India 2 winters ago, very successfully.

Yep, if they wanted him in they'd have put him in no matter what.
He'll deffo be in the one day side anyway, so if he hits Australia to all parts in that it'll pretty much guarantee him a test spot id imagine.