• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in England

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Must admit I don't remember anything back then - would it have been the 2nd Test?
What I remember most vividly was an outrage at the way Jones was so convinced (it was one of those where at most you'd expect a shrug of the shoulders). Google says it was the third test -

120.2 Hoggard to Mills, OUT: duck! good length delivery outside the off,
bit of away swing, Mills pushes at it and ends up with an edge,
keeper dives right and takes a good catch, wicket number 100 for
Hoggard!! Mills walks back for a duck on Test debut

New Zealand 382/9, Partnership of 5
KD Mills c Jones b Hoggard 0 (4b 0x4 0x6)
JEC Franklin 4* (17b) MJ Hoggard 24.2-6-83-1 (1nb)

Chris Martin is the last man in
three slips, two gullys
120.3 Hoggard to Martin, no run, outside the off stump, left alone
TV replays shows that the ball fell short, Mills should consider
himself unlucky

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach

crickmate

U19 12th Man
Well, now let the ICC decide about that. After Bangladesh's complaint, match referee checked the video and asked questions to both parties. Jones said his eyes were closed when he took the catch, so he did not see it not to carry.

Neil Pickup said:
Latif got banned for claiming a catch that he dropped, not one that was a questionable carry.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
superkingdave said:
yeah but i don't think Dasa's original comment was saying he should be banned, he was saying if he was it wouldn't be detrimental to England
Exactly.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
crickmate said:
Well, now let the ICC decide about that. After Bangladesh's complaint, match referee checked the video and asked questions to both parties. Jones said his eyes were closed when he took the catch, so he did not see it not to carry.
What do you mean, let the ICC see?

My statement was nothing but fact - Jones' catch was not under any circumstance a drop.

biased indian

International Coach
But International Cricket Council match referee Alan Hurst found the Kent star not guilty at a post-match hearing.

"Video evidence was inconclusive and (Jones') intent not proven," he said.

HOW WAS THE VIDEO INCONCLUSIVE EVERY ONE CAN SEE THAT IT DIDNT CARRY
:D :D :D

biased indian

International Coach
tooextracool said:
and you seriously believe that of all situations, jones would have wanted to cheat in a game against b'desh when the result was already a foregone conclusion?
personally i think it was the umpire's fault, if he wasnt sure about the dismissal he should have referred it to the 3rd umpire.
jones could have said to the umpire that he has some doubt about it

Steulen

International Regular
sledger said:
but me may not have had doubts, esspecially considering the fact that he had his eyes closed.
Which in itself is rather weird...and frankly not very convincing

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
and again why would he lie ? so he can claim a wicket that would have probably fallen in the next few balls against a side that england were always going to beat anyway ?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
biased indian said:
HOW WAS THE VIDEO INCONCLUSIVE EVERY ONE CAN SEE THAT IT DIDNT CARRY
:D :D :D
If taht is so then how come the commentators on the radio had confilcting views of the incident, some thought it carried.

crickmate

U19 12th Man
you ask about the intention? England skipper Vaugan's comment that clearly shows the 'intent':

"We set ourselves the goal yesterday (Saturday) of winning in two days - and if you set yourself goals you like to achieve them," Vaughan said. "I think we went searching for wickets rather than sticking to our disciplines and building pressure that way."

Well, they tried their best to finish the game in two days, which could have given them something to pride, because earlier Australia was unable to do that against Bangladesh. It would have been a boost for them before ashes.

sledger said:
and again why would he lie ? so he can claim a wicket that would have probably fallen in the next few balls against a side that england were always going to beat anyway ?

crickmate

U19 12th Man
Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
crickmate said:
you ask about the intention? England skipper Vaugan's comment that clearly shows the 'intent':

"We set ourselves the goal yesterday (Saturday) of winning in two days - and if you set yourself goals you like to achieve them," Vaughan said. "I think we went searching for wickets rather than sticking to our disciplines and building pressure that way."

Well, they tried their best to finish the game in two days, which could have given them something to pride, because earlier Australia was unable to do that against Bangladesh. It would have been a boost for them before ashes.

That comment has absolutely nothing to do with the catch whatsoever.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
crickmate said:
those of you who didn't watch Jones catch, Here is the video. Please watch the replay. I don't want to argue anyomre about Jones intention. But had it been done by Khaled Masud (Bangladesh keeper) he would have to commit suicide to save himself from English Media and fans.

http://www.bangla_cricket.com/files/NafeesJones.wmv

(please remove the underscore between bangla and cricket to make it a valid link)
Even removing the uncerscore, the link didn't work.

crickmate

U19 12th Man
right click and copy paste the link on IE. But before pressing ENTER, delete the underscore. It is working, I just checked.

marc71178 said:
Even removing the uncerscore, the link didn't work.