• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in England

Duncan

U19 Debutant
BD showing some heart... that's a pleasant suprise... but they will still lose this match by an innings due to their pathetic first innings. They will break the 300 barrier though... which is very good considering the rest of their innings.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
Aussies should also thank Bangas and English selectors for ensuring that Pietersen wont play in first couple of tests.
i think i'd rather have thorpe and bell over pieterson thank you.
whether or not pieterson's technique is upto the mark is questionable, hes certainly hasnt done anything of brilliance this season, and bell really does look the part technically, even if he doesnt look all that great against spin.

tooextracool

International Coach
SpeedKing said:
should he destroy them again in the second innings and bowl like that again agains the Aussies, i will take it all back
he has generally bowled better in his 2nd spell than his first, and its happened for a very large part of his career.

SpeedKing said:
BTW , what happenned to Hoggard outswing, these days he swings it into the right hander more than away. Perhaps preparing for the Aussie lefties
no the conditions were just more favourable for inswing, neither jones nor hoggard managed to get the outswinger going, but they certainly did it in the last test.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
The cheer when he finally was given the ball was bemusing - don't they realise he's rubbish?
it was all part of vaughan's plan to embarass b'desh as far as possible, and bowling batty seemed like a good idea at the time. unfortunately batty actually bowled decently.

tooextracool

International Coach
SpaceMonkey said:
You were just too bias to see he could always turn it! he's just been a little unlucky! (bowling on THAT pitch vs Lara would have seen any spinner suffer :@ ). He's never going to be a world beater but his performances with the ball for Worcestershire show he can more than do a job. He's a half decent batter and very good fielder too.
dropped an absolute dolly off jones earlier.

tooextracool

International Coach
Duncan said:
BD showing some heart... that's a pleasant suprise... but they will still lose this match by an innings due to their pathetic first innings. They will break the 300 barrier though... which is very good considering the rest of their innings.
well they've definetly shown improvement since the first test, most of their players tightened up their technique and played close to their body, and left most of the deliveries that were wide outside the off stump. even if it is a very flat pitch at the moment, the b'desh batsmen at least showed that they can bat, even if ashraful pulled off a ramprakash.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
nice to see Bangladesh showing some resistance, i didn't get to see it but has an english fan i am glad i missed it since the english seamers have impressed me has yet, they surely cant bowl think of bowling like that againts the aussies and hope to beat them :dry:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
i think i'd rather have thorpe and bell over pieterson thank you.
whether or not pieterson's technique is upto the mark is questionable, hes certainly hasnt done anything of brilliance this season, and bell really does look the part technically, even if he doesnt look all that great against spin.
right on TEC, thorpe & bell for sure for the ashes, KP is unlucky but if we analyze Bell for me is the better option

crickmate

U19 12th Man
Omar refused to comment on the controversial dismissal of his opening partner, Nafees Iqbal, who was adjudged caught behind by Geraint Jones, although it is understood that the Bangladeshis are to lodge a complaint. But, that sour note aside, it was a better day all round, and Omar was hopeful that the experience would stand them in good stead for the one-dayers.

source:
http://content.cricinfo.com/engvban/content/story/210516.html

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I can gurantee 100% no sanctions will be given against Jones, theres just no way to prove he knew it had bounced.

Bangladesh should just get on with the one dayers then trying to **** England off.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope Geraint doesn't get dropped because, England will need every man and his Dog to fight the might of the Aussies !! :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
it was all part of vaughan's plan to embarass b'desh as far as possible, and bowling batty seemed like a good idea at the time. unfortunately batty actually bowled decently.
Will wonders never cease?!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
And they all know what Jones felt and saw well enough to call him a cheat??
Apparently so - in spite of the doubt still in the Radio box 2 or 3 hours after the incident.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
crickmate said:
Omar refused to comment on the controversial dismissal of his opening partner, Nafees Iqbal, who was adjudged caught behind by Geraint Jones, although it is understood that the Bangladeshis are to lodge a complaint. But, that sour note aside, it was a better day all round, and Omar was hopeful that the experience would stand them in good stead for the one-dayers.
Did he comment on Flintoff's 2 plum LBWs not given?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I don't think the effect would be detrimental were G.Jones to be banned for a couple of Tests.

crickmate

U19 12th Man
from the Gurdian:

But in the afternoon, after Vaughan's lunchtime declaration, the game departed from the script. Bangladesh topped 250, which was fine, and they defiantly took the match into a third day, but the match briefly lost much of its merriment. Within 12 overs Bangladesh had posted 50 without loss, but the manner in which this partnership was ended soured the atmosphere.

Andrew Flintoff banged the ball into the pitch. Nafees Iqbal fended and the ball brushed his glove, which took away some of its momentum. Geraint Jones dived forward and claimed the catch; England celebrated and Nafees set off for the pavilion. Halfway there, he was encouraged to turn around by his colleagues on the balcony. So he did, but umpire Tony Hill nodded that he was out.

The TV replays, we know, are unreliable on disputed catches. But on this occasion they made the catch look very dodgy indeed. Dav Whatmore, the Bangladesh coach and a diplomat to the core, said that he would be touching on this subject in his report to the match referee. It was clear that the Bangladesh team on the balcony were certain that the catch was bogus. That was my impression too. Had this been an Ashes Test, World War III would have broken out. Instead there was just a bewildered shaking of heads. It should not make any difference who the opposition are.

Nowadays, umpires are encouraged to make these decisions on the field rather than refer to the third umpire, unless their view is obscured. In this instance no third umpire could possibly have pressed the red button. We must assume that Geraint Jones was sure the catch had carried. If not, he could do with a personal audience with Rodney Marsh, who famously called Derek Randall back in the Centenary Test, a rather more important game than this one, because he was unsure of the validity of the catch.

Source:

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricket/theobserver/story/0,10541,1499533,00.html?gusrc=rss

Last edited: