• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in Zimbabwe Thread

blackcapsrule

State 12th Man
Does anyone here care if Zimbabwe loses test status. I'm not to worried as it will give a team like Kenya a chance to get test status.

Kick Zimbabwe out and don't bring anyone in is my vote. I care if they lose Test status. I hope they do, that is.

Why bring Kenya in, especially now? Does cricket of the highest order need more whipping boys? Of course not.

Kenya should get Test status when they deserve it, not when there's a spot to be filled. We've all heard about how they should get Test status based on their performance in the 2003 WC, but you'll do them more good if you give them a 5 year plan to set up a domestic infrastructure and more time to improve.

As for the talk about 'pit them against the best and they'll get better', that's not necessarily the case. Like I said, give them status when they deserve it; when there's no point in them playing lesser teams anymore because they're too good, which right now they aren't.

So let's just kick Zimbabwe out and leave it at that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The Zimbabwe one day squad has been announced, and suprise suprise, no rebels.

Dion Ebrahim, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Brendan Taylor, Vusumuzi Sibanda, Mark Vermeulen, Elton Chigumbura, Tatenda Taibu (capt and wk), Alester Maregwede, Tinashe Panyangara, Tawanda Mupariwa, Mluleki Nkala, Douglas Hondo, Edward Rainsford, Waddington Mwayenga.

I know the selections are very dodgey, but the question must still be posed: Where is Prosper Utseya?

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
And ZCU have now sacked them for the second time in a fortnight - is it me or are we having a bit of deja vu here?
No it's not you.

I have lost track on what's going on.

Craig

World Traveller
Gaijin-san said:
Kick Zimbabwe out and don't bring anyone in is my vote. I care if they lose Test status. I hope they do, that is.

Why bring Kenya in, especially now? Does cricket of the highest order need more whipping boys? Of course not.

Kenya should get Test status when they deserve it, not when there's a spot to be filled. We've all heard about how they should get Test status based on their performance in the 2003 WC, but you'll do them more good if you give them a 5 year plan to set up a domestic infrastructure and more time to improve.

As for the talk about 'pit them against the best and they'll get better', that's not necessarily the case. Like I said, give them status when they deserve it; when there's no point in them playing lesser teams anymore because they're too good, which right now they aren't.

So let's just kick Zimbabwe out and leave it at that.
I must say you're 100% spot on IMO.

Best post from you I have ever read from you.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
blackcapsrule said:
Does anyone here care if Zimbabwe loses test status. I'm not to worried as it will give a team like Kenya a chance to get test status.
Nope - not under the current regime. If things change, it could be given back to them at a stroke.

Kenya have a long way to go before they are granted test status - and the expulsion or otherwise of Zimbabwe should neither hasten or delay it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Why should the ZCU's selections be all of a sudden deemed to be ok just because they are playing a match that lasts for one day instead of five.

Because in ODI's it's less about the talent than it is in Tests.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
blackcapsrule said:
Been there, done that, it didn't work.

Bangladesh on the back of 1 good result in the World Cup got in and it was wrong.

So even the ICC won't make that mistake again.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Prince EWS said:
The Zimbabwe one day squad has been announced, and suprise suprise, no rebels.
They're currently sacked, so unlikely to be selected!

Prince EWS said:
I know the selections are very dodgey, but the question must still be posed: Where is Prosper Utseya?
My guess is still injured.

PY

International Coach
Scallywag said:
But isnt this it about the selection process.
Indeed it is. It seems that the ICC are only making decisions because of the tradition of Tests being the pinnacle of the game and don't want it ruined.

I feel it should be because of the selection process being racist and therefore playing the ODI is just as bad but then again, the ICC and I rarely agree.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
They're currently sacked, so unlikely to be selected!

My guess is still injured.
Thats why I said suprise, suprise.

Really, though, anything was possible. No-one really knows whats going on there.

PY

International Coach
I agree except for the last sentence. Seems a bit sniper-ish to me but I agree with the rest of his sentiments entirely.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
luckyeddie said:
As one of Ricky Ponting's fiercest critics (I'm not really, I think he's a fantastic player but he has been 'drawn' in the past), let me be one of the first to say that I applaud what he is saying here and maintain that he has every right to do so.
It's a fair opinion, and he has every right to voice it, but I disagree.

I think that allowing some of the lesser cricketing countries to play in the tournaments gives them exposure and helps them improve their standard. Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe both benefitted from this type of exposure before being given test status, and it worked to some extent (before the political situation in Zimbabwe became dire).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll just clarify what I'm saying - I applaud the sentiments of what he's saying, I also feel strongly that ODI's should not be devalued.

I don't advocate reducing the number of sides playing ODI's though, but I certainly feel that there has to be a re-think on the 'cycle' of everyone playing everyone else.

Maybe include the 'minnows' in tri-nations series instead of straight one-to-one series?

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Looks like we share the same opinion then. It was this quote from Ponting that concerns me:

At the moment it is being diluted by sides in one-day cricket, particularly in bigger tournaments such as the World Cup and Champions Trophy. These are meant to be the showcase events for our game, yet they contain many lopsided matches that were never going to be a contest.
This seems at odds with any effort to expand the game, and seems a bit insular to me.