• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in Zimbabwe Thread

Here's hoping, Age. Personally, I think that the Tests being cancelled was the bare minimum that had to happen. I think if the ODIs still go ahead it is less of a worry. There have been plenty of unbelievably lop-sided ODIs in history.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Gaijin-san said:
I think if the ODIs still go ahead it is less of a worry. There have been plenty of unbelievably lop-sided ODIs in history.
If the Tests were called off to protect the integrity of Test Cricket, then the ODI's should be called off to protect the integrity of One Day International Cricket as well :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ford_GTHO351 said:
If the Tests were called off to protect the integrity of Test Cricket, then the ODI's should be called off to protect the integrity of One Day International Cricket as well :)
The statement of that is quite amusing.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Gaijin-san said:
Why? Why are there tremendously lop-sided ODIs in World Cups and other big trophy competitions?
What do we now want to devalue international cricket now.

What I mean is that it wouldn't matter to me IMO if Zimbabwe fielded a crap side and they got hammered in the Tests and ODI's, if thats their best side.

But as we all know, Zimbabwe are deliberately fielding a third string side which is politically influenced & that does bother me because that's not their best side.

Zimbabwe is going to have a side that is politically influenced regardless of it being a Test or an ODI.

Until the ZCU starts to pick players on form rather than selections being political, then Zimbabwe does not deserve to compete in international cricket and that is Tests & ODI's.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The statement of that is quite amusing.
Why is that amusing, I don't see the funny side 8-)

Tests & ODI's are international cricket, if the ZCU is going to field deleberately a third string side which is politically influenced, then Zimbabwe should be banned from international cricket.

Otherwise (regardless of it being a Test or ODI), Zimbabwe will continue to to have a side based on political grounds and not on form & that is going to serverly devalue International Cricket and it will make International Cricket look like a joke.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
First of all, Australia v Holland in the WC is just as much of a farce as Australia v Zimbabwe without rebels.

And second of all, several of the rebels are likely to play in the ODIs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
First they dont want to play, then they do, they dont, then they are included, will they make up their bloody minds?
And ZCU have now sacked them for the second time in a fortnight - is it me or are we having a bit of deja vu here?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ford_GTHO351 said:
What do we now want to devalue international cricket now.
Well in September we'll see the USA playing Australia, and nobodies complaining about that one!

IMO ODI's only exist to allow Test Cricket to be played.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Dont see how the number of overs and colour of clothing should have any bearing on the issues behind all this! Cancel the lot!

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Well in September we'll see the USA playing Australia, and nobodies complaining about that one!
No I'm not complaining about that one at all. The more these countries (eg. USA, Holland) play the likes of Australia, its only going to help the development of cricket in these countries.

The USA are not going to field DELIBERATELY a third string side, its going to be their best side possible, so I have no problems with that :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No I'm not complaining about that one at all. The more these countries (eg. USA, Holland) play the likes of Australia, its only going to help the development of cricket in these countries.

But the game is just as meaningless...

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
IMO, ODI cannot be devalued as it is already a bastardized version of the proper game.
Ok, lets leave opinions on ODI's aside for the moment.

Why should the ZCU's selections be all of a sudden deemed to be ok just because they are playing a match that lasts for one day instead of five.

Waughney

International Debutant
exactly,
the ZCU should be suspended from all forms of international cricket until they sort the whole thing out.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
But the game is just as meaningless...
It might be meaningless, but at least it's meaningless with integrity.

I think the occasional officially sanctioned ODI for the minnows is a good thing to let them know the standard they have to get to and to give them exposure.

The Zimbabwe situation is quite different. While you could argue that they are still a cricketing minnow no-one could argue that they have any integrity, and that's why I'd like to see the tour just cancelled.

anzac

International Debutant
IMO if the integrity of the Tests was in doubt then the same MUST apply re the ODIs - can one can them all!!!!!!

There is no logic to the arguement re difference in duration makes a difference to potential damage etc..............

ZCU may have only postponed an inevitable showdown with the ICC, but tactically they have stolen a march on them by 'pulling' the Tests while getting away with keeping the ODIs...........the ICC should have maintained the pressure by calling for the tour to be canned as a whole as the issues still remain - the type of game makes no difference to the basic principals involved re their (ICC) concerns re damage to the game etc.............

:@