• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Stapel

International Regular
Would chappel have used the village reference to refer to Grant Elliot and Michael Lumb ? Seeing as they come from the same city and school. Or is village only used when it comes to black cricketers.

It was clearly closet racism.
Probably, but I find it somewhat odd to think of a village... For FSM's sake: He's from Johannesburg, a multi-million city! I'm no expert on SA demographics, but my guess is that most people grow up in urban areas, completely regardless of ethnic background.

I guess it would have been worse if he used the word township or any type of word for a big city slum. All the funnier Kagiso is actually a silver spoon fed kid, having attended a posh private school.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

First time I've seen clear replays of the Smith and Marsh LBW's and I've got to say they both look pretty dodgy to me.

Stapel

International Regular
First time I've seen clear replays of the Smith and Marsh LBW's and I've got to say they both look pretty dodgy to me.
I can see why these guys can feel a bit unlucky, or even hard done by, but in the end, both occasions were about a batsman not getting some bat on the ball, blocking the ball with their legguards, whereas the stumps would have been disturbed, had they not blocked it. Though on the batsmen, but surely not dodgy?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith looked well down the track (>2.5 m?) and the ball was just clipping.. perhaps they should go with benefit of doubt to batsman rather than umpire's call in such cases?

indiaholic

International Captain
Smith looked well down the track (>2.5 m?) and the ball was just clipping.. perhaps they should go with benefit of doubt to batsman rather than umpire's call in such cases?
So I don't see why we don't have an expanding error band as we move farther away from the stump.. But we don't have that and the limit after which DRS has been deemed to be not effective is 3 mts. This is presumably a rounded up figure under which the ball's predicted path has a negligibly narrow confidence interval? So Smith was within that and he was given out.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Test Batting v bowling average difference. Vernon is in this category now.

Trevor GODDARD : 34.46 - 26.22 = 8.24
Eddie BARLOW : 45.74 - 34.05 = 11.69
Brian MCMILLAN : 39.36 - 33.82 = 5.54
Shaun POLLOCK : 32.31 - 23.11 = 9.20
Jacques KALLIS : 55.37 - 32.65 = 22.72
Vernon PHILANDER : 24.64 - 22.09 = 2.55

Feel bad for leaving out arguably our greatest in Procter & Rice but you get my drift. Klusener was -5.05 so shows you how hard it is because he was no flash in the pan type cricketer.
Aubrey Faulkner and Bruce Mitchell? Unless we are talking about pace bowling all rounder only. SA's all rounder wheel just goes on and on

Marius

International Debutant
Aubrey Faulkner and Bruce Mitchell? Unless we are talking about pace bowling all rounder only. SA's all rounder wheel just goes on and on
Not sure you can count Bruce Mitchell as an all-rounder. Took a wicket every second Test match and that at a cost of nearly fifty.

Think you could make a case for Faulkner though.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
The Chappen "village" comment is nothing, it is sensationalist... Problem is, that is is going to get a lot of traction in South Africa... So much so that he could be in trouble.
It was a dumb comment with nothing malicious behind it just plain ignorance. Unfortunately in this day and age people do get into trouble for such stuff.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
My reason for picking Morkel over Abbott is variation, think if there is swing on offer Rabada and Philander will make use of it... if the swing stops, I think that Morkel would be the more dangerous bowler than Abbott....
Either way basically the condition wont favor swing all the time but when it does you would want to make full use of it. If it does not, still you got Rabada and Philander to tighten up Australia. Although I am not a big fan of Abbott but think Abbott should get the nod in Hobart. Rabada still not ready for opening the bowling which might sound harsh because he bowled a long spell and picked up Marsh (?) but his workload needs to be reduced now a bit after this marathon second innings in waca. 4 days gap only between the next test.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure you can count Bruce Mitchell as an all-rounder. Took a wicket every second Test match and that at a cost of nearly fifty.

Think you could make a case for Faulkner though.
Did not look at bruce mitchell's career into too much or read about it. Just had a general idea that he was a useful bowler. Aubrey Faulkner is the most purest all rounder SA produced I think.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Test Batting v bowling average difference. Vernon is in this category now.

Trevor GODDARD : 34.46 - 26.22 = 8.24
Eddie BARLOW : 45.74 - 34.05 = 11.69
Brian MCMILLAN : 39.36 - 33.82 = 5.54
Shaun POLLOCK : 32.31 - 23.11 = 9.20
Jacques KALLIS : 55.37 - 32.65 = 22.72
Vernon PHILANDER : 24.64 - 22.09 = 2.55

Feel bad for leaving out arguably our greatest in Procter & Rice but you get my drift. Klusener was -5.05 so shows you how hard it is because he was no flash in the pan type cricketer.
Aubrey Faulkner: 40.79 - 26.58 = 14.21

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
So he only bowled Googlies?
There's a good piece that Cricket Monthly ran on Faulkner,

In Great Characters from Cricket's Golden Age, Jeremy Malies described his bowling like this: "For such a natural athlete his run-up was surprisingly craggy and ungainly. It included several stutters and he would arrive at the wicket with elbows pumping madly, in the manner of Bob Willis." He sounds more like a drunk uncle than a polished Test match bowler, but at the crease, all the coaching and tinkering unfurled into a very respectable legspin action. Repeatable, barely beatable.

Faulkner would land it on a length, turn the ball both ways without any hint as to which way it would go, had endless endurance for Herculean spells and also had a fast yorker that destroyed batsmen. As a batsman Faulkner was two-eyed. While most batsmen of the era were side-on, Faulkner stood very open. His bottom hand was in charge, and as the bowler came in, he flexed it aggressively over the grip. His back was always arched over, as if his bat was a bit too small and so, like with many broad-shouldered batsmen, the piece of wood often looked like a toy when he swung it. Faulkner would defend with good, if slightly eccentric, footwork, and when he hit the ball, he did so with the same sort of power his father had once borne the brunt of.

Dazzling light, murky shadow | The Cricket Monthly | ESPN Cricinfo