• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Smith looked well down the track (>2.5 m?) and the ball was just clipping.. perhaps they should go with benefit of doubt to batsman rather than umpire's call in such cases?
Smith looked absolutely dead on impact.

He wouldn't have been out lbw if he hadn't made such a stupid misjudgement.

SeamUp

International Coach
Aubrey Faulkner and Bruce Mitchell? Unless we are talking about pace bowling all rounder only. SA's all rounder wheel just goes on and on
When I think all-rounder , I normally do think seamer one's but I have such huge respect for Aubrey Faulkner so he can definitely be added.

There's a good piece that Cricket Monthly ran on Faulkner,
I've read so many stories of Aubrey Faulkner and every single time it amazes me when I do read it. This one had a nice difference to it but still brings a tear to the eye. Truly is one of the great cricketing stories and one of the great cricketing mentor's. Those stats rattled off , of who he contributed to in their careers is one of the greatest legacies in the history of our game.

Thanks for posting that mate.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It was a dumb comment with nothing malicious behind it just plain ignorance. Unfortunately in this day and age people do get into trouble for such stuff.
Ignorance needs to be corrected though. Even as a big non-event, the outcome really should be someone telling Chappell "you know, not everyone in Africa comes from a village" and then move on. The situation has been overblown somewhat, but in part stems from the fact this guy is a professional (lol Channel 9 though) so 1. should've done some research and 2. is in a position where ignorance can be perpetuated to the great unwashed, and should know better (see professional part).

If it's a news story beyond today, though, that would be ridiculous.

Tom Flint

International Regular
What's pretorius like? His fc stats are superb especially recently. Why has he not being used as a proper test all rounder before? How quick is he?

the big bambino

International Captain
Smith looked well down the track (>2.5 m?) and the ball was just clipping.. perhaps they should go with benefit of doubt to batsman rather than umpire's call in such cases?
The ump has no way of knowing what the ball would do and shouldn't give the decision in the 1st place. Let the fielding side dice with one of their referrals and see if they are so sure on reflection.The ump basically gave the fielding team a freebie with that one.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Am hearing that Siddle's in doubt with back pains. If he's ruled out I suppose that means Mennie debuts, although I'd much prefer Bird on his home ground.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The ump has no way of knowing what the ball would do and shouldn't give the decision in the 1st place. Let the fielding side dice with one of their referrals and see if they are so sure on reflection.The ump basically gave the fielding team a freebie with that one.
Hang on, Dar wasn't exactly proven wrong was he?

the big bambino

International Captain
Look I picked heads the other day and was right. Foresight huh?

He couldn't have known unless he's a terminator fitted out with drs.

So benefit of the doubt.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Am hearing that Siddle's in doubt with back pains. If he's ruled out I suppose that means Mennie debuts, although I'd much prefer Bird on his home ground.
Should be Bird. Picking Mennie ahead of him was a **** call. Even worse if an injury doesn't bring Bird into the squad.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It does seem weird to say that he should have made a different decision when wasn't overturned by drs, but I see where he's coming from.

The real controversy re DRS from this game should be the day 5 M Marsh lbw. Reports indicate that the guy running it got the point of impact wrong or something (the ball hit his foot twice before the pad think, straightening after the first strike and the second strike after straightening was where the point of impact was put) which made the ball look it was hitting rather than missing leg.

If that is truly what happened it's not a problem with DRS itself, just the person running it making a mistake

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Look I picked heads the other day and was right. Foresight huh?

He couldn't have known unless he's a terminator fitted out with drs.

So benefit of the doubt.
The notion that benefit of doubt has to go to batsman is not a legal requirement. There is nothing in the framework that umpires follow which requires them to do this.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The notion that benefit of doubt has to go to batsman is not a legal requirement. There is nothing in the framework that umpires follow which requires them to do this.
It can be argued that law 36 implies that unless you're certain it should be not out.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd suggest that the vast majority of batsmen in the world would be pissed off about being given out to that as it gave every ounce of the benefit of the doubt to the bowler and ball tracking proved to be inconclusive in the end anyway

Last edited: