• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Philander is such an underrated batsman, this second innings knock rates up there with the one against Sri Lanka to win the series.

Without that last 100 run partnership and the Bavuma runout I think Australia could have gotten close.
Yep... a few timely drops by the Aussies. And SA taking the critical moments, i.e. Warner run out; won us this game. Great test match.

SeamUp

International Coach
Philander is such an underrated batsman, this second innings knock rates up there with the one against Sri Lanka to win the series.

Without that last 100 run partnership and the Bavuma runout I think Australia could have gotten close.
His knocks in England were clutch as well. His batting average keeps climbing.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
I honestly never thought out test team would have been able to give these kind of performances considering who we lost over the last few years, Smith, Kallis, Boucher... I would even add to that Harris (we still have not really found a replacement).

anil1405

International Captain
I honestly never thought out test team would have been able to give these kind of performances considering who we lost over the last few years, Smith, Kallis, Boucher... I would even add to that Harris (we still have not really found a replacement).
And its even better to know that they have done it with AB, Amla, Steyn and Faf not performing/playing.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
And its even better to know that they have done it with AB, Amla, Steyn and Faf not performing/playing.
Just hope the production line keeps flowing. I am still holding out for Parnells' best years.

It is kind of freakish not knowing which batsman to leave out, before this game it would surely have been JP though... That guy seriously owes us.

SeamUp

International Coach
Test Batting v bowling average difference. Vernon is in this category now.

Trevor GODDARD : 34.46 - 26.22 = 8.24
Eddie BARLOW : 45.74 - 34.05 = 11.69
Brian MCMILLAN : 39.36 - 33.82 = 5.54
Shaun POLLOCK : 32.31 - 23.11 = 9.20
Jacques KALLIS : 55.37 - 32.65 = 22.72
Vernon PHILANDER : 24.64 - 22.09 = 2.55

Feel bad for leaving out arguably our greatest in Procter & Rice but you get my drift. Klusener was -5.05 so shows you how hard it is because he was no flash in the pan type cricketer.

Marius

International Debutant

Feel bad for leaving out arguably our greatest in Procter & Rice but you get my drift. Klusener was -5.05 so shows you how hard it is because he was no flash in the pan type cricketer.
Jeeslike, look at Jacques Kallis.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant

Bavuma is at about 11? :D

SeamUp

International Coach
Tbf, the batting average - bowling average thing naturally favours batting ARs over bowling ARs.
Especially in the new age with more batting averages over 50 but in saying that - guys who do that and average 32 with the ball is still pretty sensational even though bowling averages rarely drop below 20-21 at best for the legend bowlers.

EDIT : Spikey basically said what I was trying to say in one sentence. :laugh:

Basically they are rarer and hence more useful.

Last edited:

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
It was pleasing to see an Aussie pitch with genuine cracks in it from day one that opened up as much as they did. Let's hope this continues.