• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Robertinho said:
Uh, the light isn't that bad, it's been exaggerated by England in order to waste as much playing time as possible.
Could you please explain to me (in words of one syllable because frankly I think I must be dim) why England should be batting now when Australia couldn't be bothered to on Friday evening and yesterday when it didn't suit them to do so?

Note that England had Giles operating at the time (on both occasions), so you must avoid the word 'seamer' in your reply.

Note also that I would like us to be playing too, because frankly Vaughan and Trescothick are making batting look, if not exactly easy, comfortable.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
_Ed_ said:
Well I'm disappointed. I stayed up late tonight (earlyish start at uni tomorrow) in the hope of seeing some good cricket, but no. With two spinners on I think they should really have stayed on.
See? The opinion of a complete neutral .... :ph34r:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm trying to have a sense of humour about this, really, but it's pretty frustrating. It's been such a wonderful series up until this point too, and it's sad to be deprived of another excellent finish.
It's just nonsense.

Full house (admittedly, most of whom want the players off) and millions watching on TV and they offer the light when 2 spinners are bowling AND the batsmen are scoring freely. Little wonder that opinions on cricket's spectator value are so polarised.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Could you please explain to me (in words of one syllable because frankly I think I must be dim) why England should be batting now when Australia couldn't be bothered to on Friday evening and yesterday when it didn't suit them to do so?

Note that England had Giles operating at the time (on both occasions), so you must avoid the word 'seamer' in your reply.

Note also that I would like us to be playing too, because frankly Vaughan and Trescothick are making batting look, if not exactly easy, comfortable.
Could it be perhaps that, the light conditions at the moment are.. (dare I say it?).. NOT EXACTLY THE SAME AS THOSE ON THE PREVIOUS 2 DAYS?!

atichon

School Boy/Girl Captain
They've just read two letters from France on the BBC Broadcast. There also seems to be an article about the Ashes in the Journal du Dimanche today !

8 more fans and we'll have a full team !

And in 50 years time, I tell you, we'll lead the ICC rankings !

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm trying to have a sense of humour about this, really, but it's pretty frustrating. It's been such a wonderful series up until this point too, and it's sad to be deprived of another excellent finish.
To play devil's advocate tho, imagine the situation reversed: Australia hadn't won The Ashes in 18 years, you were 2-1 ahead in the series, England had the world's greatest ever spinner & he was operating in iffy light in the 5th test, can you honestly say, hand on heart, you'd be pleased to bat on?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
To play devil's advocate tho, imagine the situation reversed: Australia hadn't won The Ashes in 18 years, you were 2-1 ahead in the series, England had the world's greatest ever spinner & he was operating in iffy light in the 5th test, can you honestly say, hand on heart, you'd be pleased to bat on?
I don't know really... I think actually I'd back Australia were we in this situation to go on and win, but I can't say how confident English fans are in their own team. I do know however that from a neutral p.o.v. the umpire's decision to end play was a pretty disappointing one.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
just spotted this one at cricinfo quotes:

Morning Geraint, how are you?"
A Sky News reporter demonstrates the depth of his new-found love of cricket, as he greets Paul Collingwood on the morning of the third day at The Oval

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Robertinho said:
Could it be perhaps that, the light conditions at the moment are.. (dare I say it?).. NOT EXACTLY THE SAME AS THOSE ON THE PREVIOUS 2 DAYS?!
The umpires took a light-meter reading when Australia went off for the first time. Under normal circumstances, the light will then be offered whenever it falls below that level.

It has already been stated by Rudy Koertzen in an interview during the first interruption that they allowed it to go below that point and gave Australia extra leeway because they were prepared to bowl spinners from both ends - in other words, you are quite correct in suggesting that conditions are not the same (don't shout) - they are worse.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't know really... I think actually I'd back Australia were we in this situation to go on and win, but I can't say how confident English fans are in their own team. I do know however that from a neutral p.o.v. the umpire's decision to end play was a pretty disappointing one.
Disappointing, yes - but totally consistent.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Robertinho said:
Oh look, if you're that desperate and lacking in confidence of your own team, then go for your life. :laugh:
Hey. I would rather us be playing - at the moment I have half a match report done, there's no prospect of me being in a position to see Flintoff bowl Warne tomorrow evening to give us a 3-1 win in the series (back to Ireland), and seeing as England have already destroyed the much-vaunted Australian batting line-up nine times this summer, I see no reason at all why they should feel that they cannot make it ten.

Next question?

Edit:

In the interests of accuracy, the 'not out' in your avatar ought to be replaced with 'no ball'.

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Disappointing that play can't go on, but IMO it's not inconsistent of the umpires to offer the light...

howardj

International Coach
I remember last South African summer Bob Willis delivered an absolutely withering tirade, to nobody imparticular, about the light and how much it is overplayed in cricket. I totally agree with him - cricketers are so ridiculously precious when it comes to light. I also think, in the vast majority of cases, the umpires decide to offer the light just because they have the power to.

When is there honestly a need to go off for bad light in the middle of the day, with a newish ball, when two spinners are on? It's absolutely farcical. Mind you, I don't think it will matter that much here, as the pitch is playing well and Australia can not contain the batsmen from both ends. There's not enough time - each run is a minute that Australia have to spend at the crease.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
I remember last South African summer Bob Willis delivered an absolutely withering tirade, to nobody imparticular, about the light and how much it is overplayed in cricket. I totally agree with him - cricketers are so ridiculously precious when it comes to light. I also think, in the vast majority of cases, the umpires decide to offer the light just because they have the power to.

When is there honestly a need to go off for bad light in the middle of the day, with a newish ball, when two spinners are on? It's absolutely farcical. Mind you, I don't think it will matter that much here, as the pitch is playing well and Australia can not contain the batsmen from both ends. There's not enough time - each run is a minute that Australia have to spend at the crease.
Actually, given the conditions, I think with Warne and McGrath bowling Australia would have a significant chance of running through England and setting up a chance for a result tomorrow. Even without McGrath able to bowl and Clarke leaking runs, Warne would still cause problems.

There is definately enough time to finish the match, there's well over 100 overs left in the game, that was enough time for 17 wickets at Lords, and we saw 9 in less than two sessions today. However, if the decision to offer the light even with two spinners bowling means there's no more play today (which seems extremely likely now), the game and the series are done without an absolute miracle (England all out in 40 overs sort of miracle) tomorrow.

That's why it's so disappointing. After Flintoff's performance this morning both teams were completely capable of winning the match and now neither team is going to win it.

chalky

International Debutant
I think Australia to an extent have themselves to blame as their collapse against only two bowlers was pretty weak and have let down the two openers wwho built such a good platform. Australia should really still be batting in which case the bad light would not be an issue.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I fail to see the point, Australia have Warne not Murali :huh:

(Mods: Please do not execute me)

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Actually, given the conditions, I think with Warne and McGrath bowling Australia would have a significant chance of running through England and setting up a chance for a result tomorrow. Even without McGrath able to bowl and Clarke leaking runs, Warne would still cause problems.

There is definately enough time to finish the match, there's well over 100 overs left in the game, that was enough time for 17 wickets at Lords, and we saw 9 in less than two sessions today. However, if the decision to offer the light even with two spinners bowling means there's no more play today (which seems extremely likely now), the game and the series are done without an absolute miracle (England all out in 40 overs sort of miracle) tomorrow.

That's why it's so disappointing. After Flintoff's performance this morning both teams were completely capable of winning the match and now neither team is going to win it.
What happened this morning was a result of England being able to swing/move the ball. Once the shine has worn off the ball, the Australian seamers have been fairly impotent this series. But for the slope at Lords - where McGrath went beserk - it's hard to think of a period where they have even come close to matching England, much less exerted sustained pressure.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
What happened this morning was a result of England being able to swing/move the ball. Once the shine has worn off the ball, the Australian seamers have been fairly impotent this series. But for the slope at Lords - where McGrath went beserk - it's hard to think of a period where they have even come close to matching England, much less exerted sustained pressure.
McGrath hasn't had the chance. He didn't play in two tests, and he was unfit at Old Trafford and the conditions didn't suit swing or seam bowling anyway. This is the first opportunity he's had, and it's been cut short by the bad light call. I find it a bit ridiculous to rate any seamer in the world ahead of McGrath when conditions are helpful actually, because it's plainly obvious that nobody comes close.

Lee obviously isn't your man for sustained pressure and neither is Tait, but they can both swing it, particularly Tait.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
howardj said:
In fairness, one chubby blond twirly is one too many. I still think there are a few twists and turns to come, although I'm less confident it will go to the wire now.