• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Flintoff bowled 18 on the trot (broken up by lunch), pretty incredible and that's the sort of thing that happens in the last Test which is why I suggested Anderson might have taken Giles' spot.
There is no way on earth Anderson would replace Giles, who managed to keep a lid on the runs fairly well yesterday even if he only bowled one maiden.

Also, I can't imagine Anderson scoring 30-odd.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
McGrath might have won us the Ahses with the boucer... there's one to annoy Aussies with!

Anyway, don't wanna test fate, but surely its ours now.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
superkingdave said:
I'm afraid you are wrong there Marc, as i was yesterday when discussing it with my dad - there is an extra hour that can be used to 6.30pm from 5.30pm (for the purposes of calculating overs available) plus 30 minutes to 7.00pm if the overs don't get bowled.
If there's an extra hour, how come the minimum overs goes from 90 to 98 and not to 105?

The usual day is 5.30 (with half an hour extension for slow over rate)

Today's timings at the start of the day were until 6.00 (with half an hour extension for slow over rate)

Stoppages can then add another half an hour (hence we were technically able to go on till 7.00)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Demolition Man said:
If the shoe was on the other foot would the english get in temporary light towers for this match ????
Since the use of them was not agreed before the series, that is completely irrelevant.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Inexplicable that.
What that it was too dark to continue?

The umpires made the decision, and at the end of the day, if they're having trouble sighting the ball, how can they do their job?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tom Halsey said:
McGrath might have won us the Ahses with the boucer... there's one to annoy Aussies with!

Anyway, don't wanna test fate, but surely its ours now.
One hand on it, but there's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip. Anyway, we deserve a nice, quiet finale to a game for once. It's only fair. Australia had one at Lord's.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Demolition Man said:
Thanks England , cricket is the loser, why ruin a great series ??????
No, the losers are Australia - because over the course of a 5 match series, they've played the worse Cricket.

greg

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Interesting that no blame on Warne when he got himself out, but the likes of Gilchrist and Katich were undone by good bowling and do get criticism...
Warne is not a batsman. Gilchrist criticism is to some extent somewhat misplaced IMO. He can't change the way he plays significantly. That is why he bats no7 and has consistently resisted suggestions that he move to no6.

The top 6 have to do better.

nb. Warne's dismissal had a lot to do with the rest of the over, which even saw him moving 3 ft outside offstump and STILL being unable to get anywhere near an outswinger. He just had no answer.

Incidentally, with hindsight one could say it all went wrong when Ponting sent out that message to Clarke and Hayden to start playing some shots. The other batsmen followed that lead with disastrous consequences.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
MoxPearl said:
What ? thats what they said... u could see them asking...

I still think its a soft **** thing to do... they were playing warne and about to face clarke...
Next time NZ are 1 up in a series and are offered the light when all they need is a draw, I'm sure you'll be moaning that they decline the offer.

Oh wait, for that to happen, NZ would actually have to beat Australia in a Test.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
if that the explanation Rudi is going to give he needs a hit in his ****ing head total nonsense this, Vaughan could have stayed on if this little period costs Australia any chance of retaining the ashes i'll hate this england side forever.
Hitting someone for doing his job.

Good job for Rudi he's married or you'd have probably shot him as well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Demolition Man said:
cricinfo

"UPDATE 1340 GMT: The covers are coming on now as there is a slight
drizzle. Although it might be interesting for fans to hear that
just about 4 miles north of The Oval play is on at Lord's in a
first-class match, Middlesex v Glamorgan."

And your point is?

4 miles is a fair distance for different weather conditions to exist.

Besides that, why would the Middlesex and Glamorgan go off, there was no Cricket to sit in the dressing room and watch!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
howardj said:
Anyway, everyone should put their rule books back in the cupboard, and pay tribute to Flintoff. The day belongs to him, not the bad light. What a cricketer. What a performance today, and in this series. Really stood up when it counted.
It was a truly amazing spell.

After an hours play I was worried about how he'd be replaced when he tired.

I'm still stunned he didn't tire - I think the Man of the Series must be his now, shame as it is for Warne.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Robertinho said:
But they're playing cricket, and light isn't an issue for them.
No, but then again they're 4 miles away.

My brother lives about a mile from the Oval and I rang him when they went off for light on the 3rd morning to find out how bad it was.

He told me that it wasn't bad where he was.

twctopcat

International Regular
marc71178 said:
It was a truly amazing spell.

After an hours play I was worried about how he'd be replaced when he tired.

I'm still stunned he didn't tire - I think the Man of the Series must be his now, shame as it is for Warne.
Remembering from the NZ series last year they had a Eng man of the series and NZ man of the series. I hope it is the same here as they both deserve the accolades. Two colossals of world cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Robertinho said:
Try and look at the importance of this match? Deciding the Ashes? Should do everything they can to continue play.
Why should they?

If the boot was on the other foot and it was Aus 2-1 up in these circumstances, you'd be shouting them off at any opportunity.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
It's funny watching Clarke bowl now and remembering him absolutely ripping them in Mumbai and turning them a foot.
I was shocked he even bowled - I thought his back meant he was having to give it up?