• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From a neutral perspective, another thrilling session of cricket.

I intially thought Vaughan winning that important toss would essentially win the ashes. That was confirmed to me in the first hours play with the pitch looking superb for batting. But since Warne's quick 3 wickets, I'm having 2nd thoughts.

I'm sure deep down it would be Richie Benaud's dream exit from the commentary box for Warne to bowl Australia to a famous 2-2 draw thus keeping the Ashes in Australia. He probably deserves that send-off - although I'm sure English fans don't feel that way :p

Brilliant Cricket !!!

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, it's lunch on a flat track, England 115/3. Who won that session, do you reckon? Obviously Australia won the latter half, but all up, who's feeling the happier team right now? I reckon it's pretty even, but the Aussies might be on top a bit, especially if the other bowlers can step up and support Warne early on in the next session.

Scaly piscine

Knopfler said:
The accuracy of Hawkeye is a myth. Im not saying it was way off on that ball (I thought when seeing the replay that it was hitting the leg stump pretty flush), but I am sure it is often inaccurate.
Ridiculous, as usual some guy watching on TV knows better than numerous scientists who've spent months rigorously testing their invention.

social

Good session for Aus - wicket looks really flat and outfield is lightning.

Thanks to Eng selectors for persevering with Bell at 4. That spot should be reserved for a top-liner not your weak link. Kaneria and Kumble would be absolutely wetting their lips waiting for him to come into bat.

Billy Bowden gives the type of lbw that they've been knocking back all summer off Warne.

Why oh why didnt they pick MacGill? Poms are good against pace but very ordinary against spin.

Entrael

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Its pretty even at the moment.. Warne is the key as usuall.

The other bowlers; McGrath, Lee, Tait really need to improve and give him some assistance or get some wickets. atm theres too much inconsistency with their bowling, and they do not look like getting a wicket..

Scaly piscine

andyc said:
Well, it's lunch on a flat track, England 115/3. Who won that session, do you reckon? Obviously Australia won the latter half, but all up, who's feeling the happier team right now? I reckon it's pretty even, but the Aussies might be on top a bit, especially if the other bowlers can step up and support Warne early on in the next session.
Australia won it, but England are ahead on points in this game because they're batting first and one of the wickets was Bell...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
oh yes i like that first ball i tell ya Lee & Tait are going to knock England today, come on
Good prediction.

It's a good job that they've got the 2 veterans in, because they'll be needing to bowl a lot of overs based on that session.

shaka

International Regular
I thought all along that Collingwood should have replaced Bell (not had a great summer) and Anderson would have come in for Simon Jones.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
Richie & Benaud are right pitch the ball up lads.....
Richie and Benaud?

Have they now cloned him so that we still get to hear one of him next year and he can still retire?

andyc

Scaly piscine said:
Australia won it, but England are ahead on points in this game because they're batting first and one of the wickets was Bell...
True. And Pietersen and Flintoff have both been thorns in Australia's side this series, and Strauss isn't looking bad either.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Largely agree with that. Australia would take the score, but obviously it wasn't a particularly big margin in the session either way, and if England have a good one next up they can be in total control by tea.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
I dunno why the commentators keep saying how England have played Warne well, it's hard to see how they could have played him any worse.
They could've lost all the wickets without scoring any off of him.

They've been positive against him - much better than trying to block him out because you just know he will produce the variations that will pick up wickets.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Didn't deceive him at all, the dullard just hit it straight to short mid-wicket, that's as deep as it gets.
It'll be interesting to see what you say when Collingwood is dismissed.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Largely agree with that. Australia would take the score, but obviously it wasn't a particularly big margin in the session either way, and if England have a good one next up they can be in total control by tea.
Yep...3 down isnt so bad with an extra batsmen in the side either. Although he can keep Warne on the one end for most the day thankfully he cant just keep McGrath on the other. England really need to attack Lee and Tait.